10 replies to this topic

#1 JimElNino

JimElNino

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 02:43 AM

Hello everyone

A few weeks ago I came on here and posted that I wanted to fix my girlfriends brother's xbox, the hard drive was bad, so I asked what was the best chip to get and what not, and some people were nice enough to help me out.

I got the Duo X2 (Cromwell/FlashBIOS edition), just installed it, it works (both with power and reset buttons), so now I'm ready to get the new HDD working, I just would like to know what to do next.

All I'm looking to do, is get the xbox working exactly like it was before, able to get on Xbox Live, he doesn't care about burned games. Looking at some tutorials, I see that most people use EvoX to install a different harddrive, and my Duo X2 didn't come with it pre-installed (another version of it does). Can I use Cromwell to setup the new hard drive, or should I use the pre-installed flashBIOS to install EvoX and go that way?

Just looking for some suggestions from people who've done it before, any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated :-)

Thanks
-Jim

#2 JimElNino

JimElNino

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:34 AM

Bump for the late night crowd smile.gif

#3 spiffyville

spiffyville

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • Interests:Working on the physics behind wingless flight for humans. Slow going so far.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:36 AM

So the xbox has been on live before correct? WEll first thing you need is a new eeprom to flash so you can get on live. Next an autoinstaller would work well to set up the drive. Honestly thats all you really need depeding on what apps your goin put on it.

#4 JimElNino

JimElNino

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:41 AM

Actually no, its never been on Live before, but he discovered it while using mine and playing his 360, so I'm guessing he'll want to use it now. It is my understanding that it never being on Live is pretty helpful in this situation, is that correct?

Thanks
-Jim

#5 spiffyville

spiffyville

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • Interests:Working on the physics behind wingless flight for humans. Slow going so far.

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:48 AM

Yep you probably wont need an eeprom then. All you need to do is setup the drive the way you want it. Slayers autoinstaller would work well. Just make sure you update all the programs.

#6 JimElNino

JimElNino

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:53 AM

Alright cool, I've been reading some other posts here and I see that some people have issues with Thompson drives reading burned CD-RWs, thats what this Xbox has, am I likely to run into problems?

When you say to make sure to update all the programs, what do you mean?

How does Slayers run? Can I run it from the Cromwell startup? Also I see that Cromwell allows you to run things through ethernet, do you know if its possible to run Slayers that way if I can't get a CD to read?

Sorry for all the questions, I am truly a noob in this situation smile.gif

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

#7 tmh88

tmh88

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:post pictures of your xbox at http://www.xb-t.com/

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:55 AM

no, you need to flash the bios first. Download an xecuter 2 bios (make sure you get the right one), and then either network flash it, or burn it to a cd. Once you have it flashed, then you can run slayers.

#8 JimElNino

JimElNino

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:14 AM

Alright I just switched to bank 1, which is FlashBios 3.0.3, and I see how to to a network flash. I see the X2 Bios Manager on team xecuters site, is that the one you mean? If I flash it, will it overwrite FlashBios on the DuoX2?

#9 spiffyville

spiffyville

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:24 AM

NO you need an actual bios to flash. Flashing some random thing, is definately not a good idea. You need to know what size of flash is on the chip you have. Off hand I'm pretty sure its a meg. or 512 per bank. Get a bios from Evolution X, Executer or one of the other manufacturers. Create a bios cd, or if you can network boot do that its much easier. Either way theres tutorials for this all over x-scene just search.

#10 ruimoreira

ruimoreira

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:56 AM

I have a duo x2 too and i put in the flashbios 3.03 bank the m8_16 bios (i have a 1.6 version so you must look for the m8.bin if your xbox is older <v1.6). You have to duplicate the bios size to get the 512Kb bios needed. Burn it in a cdrw or dvd-r along with a dummy.bin file with 50Mb and your done.
If you have any problems finding it I can tell you how i did it.

Then i used autoinstaller of Slayers 2.6 and replaced the hd.

#11 JimElNino

JimElNino

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:46 PM

Alright that sounds like what I'll do, I got the http flash to work with a crossover cable (I haven't flashed anything yet) so can I just do that instead of buring a CD?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users