Hal2000

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:00 PM

Ok, I am complete newbie, having bought a modified Xbox from a friend of mine. The Xbox came with EvolutionX as well as several other front ends. I am using the Xecuter mod chip.

I would like to use Xbox Live. However, my version of EvolutionX does not have the command/ability to lock the hard drive. BUT, one of the other dashboards that came with the system does. I believe the name of teh dashboard is called AVALAUNCH or something like that.

My question is: If I lock my hard drive, does the system boot to the MS dashboard? And if it does, how do I go about getting back to my Avalaunch dashboard so that I can unlock my hard drive?

Thanks.

#2 slimgrip

slimgrip

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Interests:NorthWest UK's Premiere 360 Modding Service
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:18 PM

If you wanna use xbox live lock the HDD

When you boot with chip enabled it will boot to evox/avalaunch etc irrespective of hdd being locked or not!
To play xbox live boot to m$ dashboard with chip disabled

Slim

#3 RLLMoFP

RLLMoFP

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:19 PM

You can lock your hard drive and still be able to use the home-brew applications, Evox, Avalaunch, XBMC and so on. Only the Stock MS Bios cares whether the drive is locked or not.

It all depends on the way your C drive is setup, but if you lock the drive and disable the mod (via what ever means your chip allows) boot the stock bios and see what dashboard comes up.

Edited by RLLMoFP, 11 January 2006 - 09:21 PM.

#4 Jrgong420

Jrgong420

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:25 PM

ok, lot of answers to your question, First off are you absolutley sure that you are using an actual modchip and not a tsop(use the forum search button to figure out what this is). First off if you can use avalaunch to lock your hdd thats good and no it doesn't change the way your hdd boots, all it does is "lock" that hdd to your particular motherboard so that you can't swap the hdd to any other motherboard(while its locked). Alright for the rest, the ms dash(the "stock" dashboard, the one you go online with) can only boot if the hdd is locked. In other words you still need to have the stock dashboard and it's related files in the c partition of your hdd(c drive). In order to get the xbox to boot the stock ms dash you need to either change your boot options on your bios(depending which bios you have), or (to get on live) you have to disable/turn-off your modchip so that it doesn't boot a hacked bios. And as a side note you need to find out whether or not that xbox has ever been online with a different hdd or if it has ever been banned, if either of these things has occured then you have a whole other pandora's box to deal with the eeprom. How live security works is that it "marries" your hdd to your motherboard(hdd locking), the way in which they identify your motherboard(i.e your xbox) is the eeprom. So if you box has been on live before it was modded, live would have married the stock/previous hdd to your motherboard/eeprom, so if you attempt to go online with a different hdd live will know and ban you, if the xbox was banned before then you can't get on in the first place. The only way the remedy this problem is to acquire a new eeprom(check the tutorials and search button or post again here for eeprom info(p.s. i have extra eeproms)) and lock it to a hdd that live has never "seen". I know this is alot of info but i figured you need it, feel free to post again with any questions but please take it upon yourself to educate yourself as much as possible before asking. Welcome to the world of xbox modding!!

Edited by Jrgong420, 11 January 2006 - 09:26 PM.

#5 Hal2000

Hal2000

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 January 2006 - 06:27 PM

Wow. Thank you EVERYONE for your responses.

I do though have some follow-up questions.

1) How do I go about turning off the mod chip? Is there a setting in the EvolutionX dashboard that allows me to do this? If I understand correctly, the mod chip has to be turned off, along with the hard drive locked, for me to access MS Live.

2) If I do somehow manage to turn off the mod chip, and the XBox boots to the MS Dash, how do I go about turning the mod chip back on again? Assuming of course that with the mod chip turned off, I will be unable to get back to the EvolutionX / Avalaunch dashboard.

3) How do I know if the stock MS Dash is on my hard drive? What files (and in what partition) should I be looking for.

Thanks again for your help. I'm S-L-O-W-L-Y starting to learn some of this, but it is a steep hill to climb!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users