#1 the_lone_bard

the_lone_bard

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:12 PM

I looked over the instructions for FTP install of XBMC and thought it looked fairly simple. I didnt know what the current version of XBMC is that I had but I knew it was probably very outdated. I have a DuoX2 modchip with a Evolution-X bios. When I got the system it was set to boot XBMC automatically as the dash.

So I followed the instructions here - http://manual.xboxme...kka=InstallXBMC

Rebooted the Xbox and it tells me I have no compattable 1.22 skins? Hmm, so I check some files and the version I'm installing and the skin says it's version 1.85?! So I FTPed back in, and recopied the newer XBMC files over. Same problem. I tried "delete the “Xbox Media Center” save under memory in the original Xbox™ dashboard and reboot" no change. So I ended up copying back the skin from my previous installation of XBMC and it works?

But it's not updated? So I tried deleteing every file having to do with XBMC and it boots and tells me files are missing and I can FTP in? So I tried installing the new XBMC files again and the same "no compattable 1.22 skins found" thing? Yes I did edit the xboxmediacenter.xml so it shouldnt be that?

- Using the latest CVS T3CH release
- Edited the xboxmediacenter.xml (checked it seventy five million times in internet explorer)
- Tried deleting "E:\TDATA\0face008"
- I am not using any other skin that the default (not sure how I could since I copied over everything and deleted it the second time even)
-
2: You have EVO-X igr (in game reset) active.
I believe I do have this active but I have no idea how to get into EVO-X to change it as I've said before XBMC boots as the default dash automatically and I'm fairly newbish here. From the small broken english information around the XBMC forums I've found that it involves editing the evox.ini but where is this file? I looked all over my Xbox and Cant find it?

- Thank you to anyone whom can help.

#2 Jrgong420

Jrgong420

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:24 PM

alright you say xbmc boots up first, when you looked for the evox.ini file did you find any evox related file? you might not even have it on your xbox. I would completly delete xbmc and reinstall a newer cvs version but first delete the settings in the gamesave then reinstall. Also what did you edit on the xboxmedicenter.xml(you can't edit it using ie)? I don't know much about configuring the evolutionx bios but you could always try flashing a new bios(BE CAREFUL, if you don't know what you are doing then read ALOT before attempting to flash the bios) and see if that helps.

#3 the_lone_bard

the_lone_bard

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE(Jrgong420 @ Jan 11 2006, 04:31 PM) View Post

alright you say xbmc boots up first, when you looked for the evox.ini file did you find any evox related file? you might not even have it on your xbox. I would completly delete xbmc and reinstall a newer cvs version but first delete the settings in the gamesave then reinstall. Also what did you edit on the xboxmedicenter.xml(you can't edit it using ie)? I don't know much about configuring the evolutionx bios but you could always try flashing a new bios(BE CAREFUL, if you don't know what you are doing then read ALOT before attempting to flash the bios) and see if that helps.

I dont think there was anything with evox in the name other than "evoxdash.xbe" right on C:

Uh now that I think about it I think I have an idea.

The Xbox is booting evoxdash.xbe which actually isnt evox it's the XBMC xbe file just renamed? so I need to delete that and rename the newer xbe to evoxdash.xbe?

I just hope that theory is right? I dont want to toast the dash...

#4 Jrgong420

Jrgong420

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:43 PM

whoa slow down yeah If you do replace that file make sure you replace it with the evoxdash.xbe file. Yeah your using a shortcut maker to make evox boo xbmc. you could try changing your bios to one that allows booting from any partition any .xbe file. Remember don't just delete that evox file or you'll have no dash

#5 the_lone_bard

the_lone_bard

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:55 PM

I dont have any evoxdash file to replace it with, just the "default.xbe" that came with XBMC?

#6 RLLMoFP

RLLMoFP

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:07 PM

Basicly your bios is booting off of C:\evoxdash.xbe

Now that may not be the only place it looks, but that's the one we believe it's using.

If you use XBMC as your dash, you need the default.xbe (renamed to whatever your bios uses) and the XboxMediaCenter.xml file in that path (IE: C:\) all the other parts of XBMC can be elsewhere (like in the Apps folder on the F: drive). In the xml file you will need to tell XBMC where the home folder (like F:\Apps\XBMC\) is, in the <home>-</home> section at the top of the file.

It would do you well to have a disc that you can boot from (Like a Slayers 2.6 disc) and gain ftp access with just in case you remove/rename the boot xbe and have trouble getting the Xbox to boot from the hard drive.

Edited by RLLMoFP, 11 January 2006 - 11:08 PM.

#7 the_lone_bard

the_lone_bard

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:02 AM

Alright so you suggest that I get myself a Slayers 2.6 disk (incase of emergency) and then try renaming the default.xbe from XBMC to evoxdash.xbe and replace the evoxdash.xbe on C: ?

Sounds like a plan to me.

#8 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 January 2006 - 01:37 AM

Additionally, are you actually using a T3CH build now, and not that unsupported CLEAN "release"?

#9 the_lone_bard

the_lone_bard

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 04:24 AM

I have no idea what I'm using right now as I didnt install the XBMC that is on there right now. I bought the system and it was installed already.

#10 ItchyB

ItchyB

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:05 AM

If you have the latest T3CH release then it is as simple as transfering the XBMC folde to E:\apps, then in the unpacked files you will see a file called "rename_me.xbe" rename it to what ever .xbe launches from C drive which in your case seems to be evoxdash.xbe and copy it to C: then in future to upgrade you only need to transfer the XBMC folder to the Apps directory. Although when you upgrade in the future save the xboxmediacenter.xml file first if you have edited it to your liking.

#11 the_lone_bard

the_lone_bard

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:09 AM

Is there anyway to confirm that my current evoxdash.xbe is a XBMC file?

#12 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 01:01 PM

Is it about 6.8 megs? That's XBMC then. Other dashes' xbes are smaller.

There are other, more difinitive ways using other apps/programs but that's a good quick check point.

#13 the_lone_bard

the_lone_bard

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 03:37 PM

Off the top of my head I believe it's 6.5 megs.

So before I go off and replace that evoxdash.xbe with XBMC, how the heck do I get into evox or any of it's settings? Like I said before theres nothing on the hard drive that I saw that looked like it refered to evox, I know that when the xbox starts it says EvoX after the flubber but then it goes straight into XBMC.

#14 RLLMoFP

RLLMoFP

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 04:33 PM

There may not be an Evox dashboard anywhere on the hard drive. The reason the xbe was renamed is because the bios is looking for that particular file (it's an evox bios after all).

If you had say the X2_5035 bios installed you could place a file on the F: drive that would define up to 5 different xbe files for it to boot from.

There are cleaner ways to setup the boot on an Xbox, but the one you have works.

#15 XBNormUK

XBNormUK

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 12 January 2006 - 04:45 PM

If I may be so bold as to make a recommendation.

Sort your dash first as at present, if you make a mistake there is a good chance your xbox will not boot. You are playing around with the file it boots from.

I would recommend the following few things....

1. Get hold of the files for the evox dashboard, there are only a couple of files and a skin folder I think, and are not very big at all.

2. Get yourself into your box, put all your media centre stuff in a the XBMC folder, including the current file called "evoxdash.xbe". You have probably twigged by now, that this file is in fact your xbmc default.xbe, so after you have moved it, renameit default.xbe. Put the XBMC folder in E\Apps.

3. Before you cut your connection, put your actual evoxdash.xbe in the root of C, along with the associated files and skin folder.

4. Back up you XBMC folder on your PC.

5. Reboot and hey presto.

You are now actually booting to a dashboard, and you can launch XBMC from your apps menu. You can now play around with XBMC as much as you like, and if it goes kaput, just delete it and restore from your back up. Once you have got XBMC working fine, then you could swap the xbe's so you are booting to XBMC if you prefer, but until then I would keep it as an app.

Hope this helps
Norm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users