X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:41 AM

Hey guys

There have been a few questions posted on this topic, so I thought I would share how I did it.

The wireless controller uses Torx-8, with a security post in the middle. I went out and bought a 100 pc security bit set. You can get em off eBay for about $15.

IPB Image

Taking out the T8security bit, you will notice you can get every screw out of the controller, except for the two in the tips of the handles. (There are 5 others, one in each handle, one on either side of the battery pack and 1 under the barcode under the battery pack)

As for the two in the handles, the bit simply doesn't fit.

IPB Image

Now what?

I modified my T8 bit so that it fits. Here's my modified bit next to a stock one.

IPB Image

The hexagonal part of the bit is about twice as long as needs to be...if you put it into a bit driver, you will notice quite a bit of it sticks up and doesn't allow you to take screws out of your controller.

Put the bit into a bench vise, if you have one. Clamp it perfectly vertical, nice and tight, with about 1/4" of the hexagonal part above the vise.

IPB Image

Using a metal file, work your way around, taking care not to nick the tip, as it's pretty small, and damage could cause it to strip. You don't have to take much off, just enough that it will fit.

IPB Image

Success! The bit can now recess into the controller enough to fit the screws. Happy modding!

#2 GSX

GSX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:13 PM

A tut for opening it with a regular t8 bit would be better, thats what I needed

#3 Granulated

Granulated

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:31 AM

Well, I assume you'll have to mod it just like above, as well as break the posts off inside the screws. I've heard you can do some prying with a tiny flathead, or use a small drillbit to drill em out.

#4 DarkDeity

DarkDeity

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 16 January 2006 - 05:53 PM

for the handle screws did you mod the t8 security bit or just a regular t8 bit?

#5 gRasole

gRasole

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:41 AM

You can use a regular t8 bit as opposed to the security ones but you have to push down hard as hell and its damn annoying. You can also use a small flathead but the tip will get torn to hell. I wouldn't reccomend trying to drill out the little bumper as it is so small you could easily just bore out the whole damn screw. Once you have taken the controller apart I recomend replacing all those damn security screws with the screw from the s-type controllers just in case you need to take it apart again. You can also replace the thumb sticks and d-pad with the black ones from the old controller if you want as they are the same size.

#6 nj12nets

nj12nets

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:46 AM

my t8 is too small. i use a t9 and it fits perfectly.

#7 KoRnitup

KoRnitup

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:46 AM

You could just go to xboxchopshop and buy a torx8 security L wrench for like $2 or $3... No modding needed what-so-ever...

#8 Do0kie

Do0kie

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 04:56 AM

Is a tutorial really needed for telling someone how to use a file...

#9 pbkill

pbkill

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 14 February 2006 - 07:52 PM

I got one of those same exact kits for a cool $4.99 BIN smile.gif

#10 StroggMercenary

StroggMercenary

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:47 PM

I have the same bit set. The EXACT one. LOL! I also paid EXACTLY 15$ too lol! I got mine at a flea market. LOL good job dude.

#11 lmastercheifl

lmastercheifl

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE(Granulated @ Jan 16 2006, 09:38 AM) View Post

Well, I assume you'll have to mod it just like above, as well as break the posts off inside the screws. I've heard you can do some prying with a tiny flathead, or use a small drillbit to drill em out.

I drilled mine out and then pulled the front off and found out you cant get the other half of the screws out, can't even get the board off now and the controller doesnt assemble right anymore. I still have to buy another wireless controller.

#12 Lemon Crevice

Lemon Crevice

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:06 AM

i also had more luck with a t9 bit and for the security pole or w/e its called i just snapped off and then i can remove the screws as easilly as any other screw. Before i snapped the center pole out i used a small phillips head screw driver to take out the screw completely intact but it takes a good amout of time so if u plan on modding your controller u might aswell snap off the security peice and just use a regular t8 or t9 which ever fits.

#13 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:59 AM

QUOTE(Lemon Crevice @ May 7 2006, 07:13 PM) View Post

i also had more luck with a t9 bit and for the security pole or w/e its called i just snapped off and then i can remove the screws as easilly as any other screw. Before i snapped the center pole out i used a small phillips head screw driver to take out the screw completely intact but it takes a good amout of time so if u plan on modding your controller u might aswell snap off the security peice and just use a regular t8 or t9 which ever fits.

Yea, thats exactly what i did. Just broke off the security pole things and used a t8... except for the lowest scews, i used a skinny flathead to unscrew those since my bits were to fat. lol

#14 tinytimie18

tinytimie18

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:51 AM

I used a micro flat head tip, worked wonders no stripping

#15 orangeman

orangeman

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:xbox 360
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:36 AM

can the links be fixed for the images please???

thanks!!!

sorry my bad its working now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users