• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Pyro0623

Pyro0623

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Computers and technology, Xbox moddin', Playin' vids on my xbox.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 January 2006 - 01:14 PM

I'd just like to point out that The tutorial by Grifter66 on hex editing the morrowind xbe is incorrect. in his Tut, it states that the 1st 3rd 5th 7th and 8th instances if z:\ be changed to D:\, when i tried this method, it royally screwed my ability to save.

The correct method that worked for me is to edit the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th but NOT 8th.

Please pin this so nobody else has this issue.

I've taken the liberty to revise his Tut on his behalf, seeing as he's banned:

Credit for this work goes to Grifter66.

+++++++WARNING+++++++WARNING+++++++WARNING+++++++WARNING+++++++WARNING+++++++

AS WITH ANY GUIDE/TUTORIAL I WRITE OF THIS NATURE
MY WARNING TO PEOPLE IS THIS:
ALWAYS MAKE A BACK UP OF EVERYTHING EVEN IF IT DOESN'T SEEM OR YOU DON'T THINK IT IS IMPORTANT.
IF YOU DON'T MAKE BACK UP AND SOMETHING HAPPENS THEN IT'S YOUR OWN FAULT. YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE ON THIS......YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!

Now I want to explain that:
1. Anyone can follow this guide
2. Provided you follow exactly what is posted, you will have no problems
3. If you can't follow this guide or you do have problems, then
you either did something wrong or you're just plain stupid.
I know this guide is 100% accurate because I wrote it while I was editing
the Morrowind.xbe File. So I know this guide will and does work. Now it's up to you

One final note if something happens to you game then I will not be held responsible for your actions. As I am not making or suggest you do anything.
This guide is simply being posted to explain in a very simple way, how to hex edit
The Morrowind.xbe file

GOOD LUCK and have fun.

+++++++WARNING+++++++WARNING+++++++WARNING+++++++WARNING+++++++WARNING+++++++

Now rather than tell you what this guide won't cover, I'll make this really simple
to understand by telling you what the only thing this guide does cover (See below) This guide only covers how to hex edit the Morrwoind.xbe file. and nothing else.
if you come in here looking for anything else, you won't find it. I'm going to get straight to the point now......
First off I suggest you place and use on your desktop for easier finding (That's what I did,and that's the example I'm using for this tutorial as well.

Here Is what you are going to need:
1. Your Morrowind.xbe File on your computer
2. A hex editor.

The instructions I'm using revolve around this hex editor:
http://www.handshake...nload/xvi32.zip

Now if for some reason this link doesn't work or that the link eventually becomes inactive. Then give me you e-mail address and I will send you a copy of the Hex Editor.
Now the first thing you will want to know is what is the point to hex editing your .xbe file Well the answer is simple. All that hex editing the .xbe file does is make it so you can put the PC mods directly into the game directory itself and allow them to work rather than having to put them into the X, Y, or Z, catche. This in turn makes it so that you don't have to keep installing the mods to the X, Y, or Z, catche, over and over. This happens because when 3 games are loaded the X, Y, or Z, catche delete's what was in there.
Ok once everything above is set then proceed to the steps below.

Step 1. Press the insert and and Caps Lock keys on you keyboard (This just make it easier)
Step 2. Open the hex editor
Step 3. Click File in the upper right hand corner and click open
Step 4. Navigate to your desktop and open the Morrowind.xbe
Step 5. You will now see a bunch of jibberish
Step 6. Ignore that and click search and then click find
Step 7. A window will open up titled find with a search bar in it.
Step 8. The only thing you need to do in this window is make sure the text String box is checked off
Step 9. Copy and Paste this Z:\ into the text search box making sure that there is no space after the \
Step 10. So now the only thing that is in the search bar is this: Z:\
Step 11. Click Ok (Read the suggestion before proceeding to step 12)
easier to follow by not being clustered together.

Step 14. Press the F3 key and it will come to another Z highlighted in blue, ignore that one and press F3 again

Step 15. You will now see a Z highlighted in blue on the right side of the hex editor
Step 16. Press the d on your keyboard you will see the Z change to a D

Step 17. Press the F3 key and it will come to another Z highlighted in blue, ignore that one and press F3 again

Step 18. You will now see a Z highlighted in blue on the right side of the hex editor
Step 19. Press the d on your keyboard you will see the Z change to a D

Step 20. Press the F3 key again

Step 21. You will now see a Z highlighted in blue on the right side of the hex editor
Step 22. Press the d on your keyboard you will see the Z change to a D

Step 23. Click file, highlight Save (NOT SAVE AS)
Step 24. Close the hex editor and now your all set

----------------------------------------------------------------

#2 THE HACKER

THE HACKER

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 04:32 PM

Thank you for this guide smile.gif . I am sure this will help me and all of the other people who are haveing trouble with this. Thank you very much for this.

#3 TMG8

TMG8

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:well guess you need to ask to find out
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 13 January 2006 - 08:57 PM

hmm this guide didnt work for me.. I'm using the us version, bought the game from futureshop.. canada!

i searched Z:\ replaced it with D:\ then searched again skipped that.
searched again then replaced Z:\ again! then searched once more and it says there is no more occuriences

my question is am i doing something wrong?
i will try it out again and tell you if i got it working

ah no 3 trys its not working i tryed hex and bynary or whatever the option was, an no go

ps: i have got the skip video hack to work no problem.

#4 Pyro0623

Pyro0623

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 03:45 AM

I have the NTSC Platinum hits Game of the year version(bought in canada also, EB Games), my method woked flawlessly.

A few quick thoughts.

1. your editing Morrowind.xbe and not default.xbe?
2. you have game of the year edition?

Edited by Pyro0623, 14 January 2006 - 03:49 AM.

#5 TMG8

TMG8

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:26 AM

ah sorry been a bit busy.

yes i realized i was editing the default.xbe hah but my trouble now is trying to get the game to work at all..
I've replaced the original files with the backup but its still not working i keep getting dirty disk error.
Things seem to work fine on my friends xbox though

#6 Pyro0623

Pyro0623

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:40 AM

Try deleting your caches (E;\cache\, x:\ y:\ and z:\).
if that fails, delete and re rip, start fresh and hex edit it again.

other than that im clueless.

Edited by Pyro0623, 14 January 2006 - 11:41 AM.

#7 TMG8

TMG8

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:16 AM

yeah i deleted the x y and z cache but i never knew i could do the cache files in e il go try that out.. it has to work mad.gif

#8 TMG8

TMG8

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:04 AM

ok.. something went wrong. so i replaced everything with original backup and it went well

so i was trying to use some mods but i kept getting a dirty disk error or then it would just freeze when loading.

i might have edited the morrowind.xbe wrong but i took the right steps.. so im not to sure ill try again tomorrow or something.

peace

#9 darth_turtur

darth_turtur

X-S Expert

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:55 PM

*****Topic has been pinned as requested by Pyro******

Thanks for the updated tut brother! I received a bunch of PM's from you guys so hopefully this tutorial would be a help. Let us know if you continue having problems. (FireFox and Amuhand - Check your PM's...I sent you the link to the updated links for Morrowind Mods)

#10 TMG8

TMG8

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 06:25 AM

...ok yay its pinned but how does this help if its not working? tryed about 6 extra times here.
i back up the morrowind.xbe, open it up with my HDD hex editor.. see im not an idiot, ive tried editing 1st 3red 5th and 7th.. the end result each time is a freeze while loading up my save.

now ive edited in hex, decimal, lower case, upper case, and so on and nothing is working.

..maybe im not getting it all right, i have the video skip, and hacked save hexed into the default.xbe. will this be a conflicting problem?

anyway i cant get this working any help would be great.

#11 Shadow589

Shadow589

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 06:27 PM

Try makinga new game, most of the time when I add a mod or change something like that it reezes on me to, so I just make a new game an I works fine unless I have a dirty mod causeing cripting errors, then I just remove those, and it nice and smooth.

#12 TMG8

TMG8

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:55 PM

hmm thats good! i like the help.. i tryed making a new game with the mods in and without the mods and i get a dirty disk error. its better than freezing! wink.gif but still not what i need.. im running out of ideas here.. the game runs fine without the modded morrowind.xbe but with it it freezes or gives disk errors. so maybe im using a different version somehow?.

ps. the mods i tryed were..

ninja outfits,
creeper gold,
blue glass armor,
amulet of wisdom,
guar sales man at belmora,

and a few others but.. not all at the same time of course. one of at a time for no conflicts. i found all these in the pinned topics here.. they may be old or not. hope that helps.

Edited by TMG8, 30 January 2006 - 08:01 PM.

#13 JuniorFan

JuniorFan

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:32 AM

I just did the exact thing said and got a dirt rdisc error before the game even started.....you might as well just make a copy of your data files folder and copy it into the cache when you want to play.

#14 SkmNet

SkmNet

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:39 PM

I SOLVED THE PROBLEM!

at least for me! the ones with problems, are you using a different language than english.
i was and it always gave dirty disc error. here is what i did:

for german: copy all the contents of the folders /german and /german2 into the root /data files folder.
then this works!! :-)
eg for french it should be the same.

it froze because it tried to read the english files from /data files, although my setup is german, so you need the correct language files as your "cache" files in root /data files.

hope this works for you too. wink.gif

#15 Legend216

Legend216

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 04:45 PM

[size=2]I had so many problems until I hex edited the Morrowind.xbe. I totally forgot to replace the Z:\s with D:\s before so my mods weren't working. I'm running Game of the Year edition in the US and this method works great for me. My girlfriend lost the Robe of Erur Dan and the Kil's Heart of Fire (I think that's right...) so I put them in Seyda Neen. I'm thinking about making a tutorial which has all the knowledge I've learned so far. Anybody support this? I'm not going to go over xbox modding or anything like that. All I'll say is that I'm not using a chip, yet my Xbox is modded. If you're getting DDE's make sure you're following the steps exactly as they're written. Almost all attempts of save editing failed for me, so I had to learn how to make a simple mod for Morrowind. Thanks for this thread!!! I never would have figured out what went wrong otherwise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users