9 replies to this topic

#1 enigma9o7

enigma9o7

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 10:18 PM

I have a XBOX with X3 and 300GB WD HD, running XBMC. Its been working fine for a while. Yesterday I had 110GB free, and used a crossover cable to connect up to a freinds xbox (with similar setup except 250gb hd). I've used this method for putting pretty much everything else that's on the xbox, so nothing unusual there. I selected quite a few games to copy, it was working fine for the first couple, then I quit paying attention and went to bed.

This morning my XBOX had turned itself off (freinds still on)! I thought that was weird, I expected it to be done copying, just sitting in xbmc doing nothing. Anyway I turn it on and it won't boot xbmc as usual, just hangs at the xectuer rox my box screen.

I hold down the button to boot into x3 config live. It says my f drive has 14gb free. I ftp to it from my pc (unplug freinds xbox) and my F drive is almost blank! All the directories in root (games, movies, apps, music) are there, but the contents are completely empty, except the games folder has one empty subdir (whereas all the others dirs are completely empty.

Well this explains why I can't boot XBMC, it isn't there! Nothing is! FTP also shows that the F drive has 14gigs free, so WHERE IS MY 275+ GIGS OF DATA HIDING?

I don't want to do anything to my drive in fear of loosing everything I've collected. Any ideas?

#2 The Third Man

The Third Man

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 13 January 2006 - 10:26 PM

No G: drive? The FatX filesystem that the Xbox uses doesn't like partitions above 256 GB. On a 300 GB Xbox, if you had only an F: partition without G: and a properly configured bios, then you will get file corruption at some point. So there is a good possibility that you have lost everything.

#3 enigma9o7

enigma9o7

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:24 PM

Yep, no G drive, all on F. Sounds like that was a bad idea. DAMNIT! Seems silly the folks at teamx would allow me to partition the drive in a way that is known not to work correctly.

#4 Speil

Speil

X-S Senior Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:26 AM

That turning it self off thing is just the XBox auto off. it shuts off after Six hours of Inactivity. Just check your settings in your dashboard. Also. The third man seems to be some what incorrect. It just sounds like your BIOS problem. Just upgrade your BIOS to the latest one out for the X3. Then Configure it out right. ANd it should work..

#5 paper

paper

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:32 AM

Does the xbox auto-off feature work even when in different dashes?

#6 novakpower

novakpower

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:32 AM

My opinion is his harddrive was corrupted. Always F: & G: when above a 250gig drive.

#7 Speil

Speil

X-S Senior Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE(paper @ Jan 14 2006, 01:39 AM) View Post
Does the xbox auto-off feature work even when in different dashes?

Yea. Evox has it. Unleash has it. UIX has it. Ava has it. So far every dash ive used has it.

#8 enigma9o7

enigma9o7

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:58 AM

I do have the latest X3 BIOS. It's what allowed me to format it as 300GB all F the first time. XBMC is my dash, it's never turned off the xbox on me before, even when left on overnight, but it's not too important... my guess is when enough data was transferred over the 250gb mark it corrupted, somehow causing the shutdown.

So I used X3 CL to repartition and format F&G, luckily no corruption to C&E. I made F 137GB and the rest for G as this seemed the only way to do it. I would have rather made 250GB F and the rest for G, but this is what X3 CL seemed to like, so I went for it.

I turned on G and added a bookmark in xboxmediacenter.xml, however XBMC doesn't show the remaining space on G in filemanager at the bottom of the screen, only C,E&F display down there. I guess this is more of an XBMC question, but if anyone knows how to get G showing up there too, I'd be happy.

#9 jameswalter

jameswalter

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,881 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:00 AM

My guess is you corrupted the HD by copying games you don't own from your friends box. rolleyes.gif

#10 The Third Man

The Third Man

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:58 AM

QUOTE(enigma9o7 @ Jan 13 2006, 08:05 PM) View Post

I do have the latest X3 BIOS. It's what allowed me to format it as 300GB all F the first time. XBMC is my dash, it's never turned off the xbox on me before, even when left on overnight, but it's not too important... my guess is when enough data was transferred over the 250gb mark it corrupted, somehow causing the shutdown.

So I used X3 CL to repartition and format F&G, luckily no corruption to C&E. I made F 137GB and the rest for G as this seemed the only way to do it. I would have rather made 250GB F and the rest for G, but this is what X3 CL seemed to like, so I went for it.

I turned on G and added a bookmark in xboxmediacenter.xml, however XBMC doesn't show the remaining space on G in filemanager at the bottom of the screen, only C,E&F display down there. I guess this is more of an XBMC question, but if anyone knows how to get G showing up there too, I'd be happy.

There is a line in XML file to enable G:.

QUOTE(Speil @ Jan 13 2006, 07:47 PM) View Post

Yea. Evox has it. Unleash has it. UIX has it. Ava has it. So far every dash ive used has it.

It has nothing to do with the dash you are using. The timer is an eeprom setting that you can change in the MS dash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users