Photo

Which Next-gen Disc Will Win?

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Next-Gen Disc Will Win?

Which Next-Gen Disc Will Win?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 XanTium

XanTium

Xanta Powa!

• Admin
  • 3,110 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 January 2006 - 05:50 AM

Feel free to vote/discuss.

#2 darkhunter121589

darkhunter121589

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Modding, pc, software anything with electronics
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:01 AM

I say Blue-Ray it seems to have a future

#3 Frommy

Frommy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:none

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:04 AM

With MS backing HD-DVD, how could it lose? They are basically paying companies to side with them. They have enough money for the HD-DVD to win against the Blu-ray. I don't think either will lose because, with this new format we won't have to have multiple dvd movies. All the special features can fit on one disk as well as future games.

#4 G0t M4xx 21

G0t M4xx 21

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:05 AM

I saw both at CES they both seemed promising but I think blueray will win

#5 prplehz

prplehz

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Interests:Romance, Audio/Video, Computers, Video Games, Skiing, Swimming.

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:14 AM

I don't know the exact specs on the 2 types. But I think that HDDVD will win. 1 Because of its name. It is easy for the public to familiarize with. The name says it all HDDVD. Where as Bluray people might not understand what it is and therefore not have an intrest in it. 2 Like stated before it has M$ backing it. Now if Bluray holds alot more data or is alot cheaper to produce, I could see why it might be the winner. We will just have to wait and see... The way I see it. It doesn't really matter because the 360 could support either, since it would be an external drive.

#6 whoadae

whoadae

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:21 AM

hddvd is cheaper players and media. Although bluray is "better" but that extra storage isnt necessarily needed for most media.

#7 Psilocybe

Psilocybe

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:24 AM

i think both will fail in terms of movie usage, but one of the 2 could possibly take over for pc storage/backup eventually

the first strike against both is that many houses either just bought dvd players within the last 2 years or dont even have dvd yet and would therefore not see a need to 'upgrade' again already

next, blue-ray will be digital connection only, this outs all people without newer tvs supporting dvi or hdmi

many of the old classics just recently were "remastered" for dvd and added extras that their vhs counterparts didn't have, are companies really going to want to try and upgrade even further?
you aren't going to see movies from the 50's in 1080p and 7.1 surround sound

the one thing that could help either of the formats is that the ps3 will come with blueray, if the support is good from the start, it may have a similar effect as the ps2 did with dvd player support, many of the first ps2's were bought as a cheap dvd player that just happened to beable to play games, something similar could happen with the ps3 as blueray players will be >$500 for awhile and the ps3 at launch will probably be in the 350-500 range due to the blue ray, or $300 at lowest. this would make a significant reason to buy a ps3 when you compare the costs to a stand alone player

hd-dvd stands a decent chance in the computer market, but probably not the movie market.
for people that want to be on top of all hightech gadgetry, hd-dvd doesn't provide enough of an upgrade over standard dvds

*edit*
forgot to mention, probably for awhile, the most you'll see of blue-ray will be similar to the sales of the psp video, possibly less as it wont be a 'portable' video type for several years when the technology is good enough to make smaller devices

Edited by Psilocybe, 14 January 2006 - 06:25 AM.

#8 OTSS

OTSS

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:55 AM

I am totally for M$ and HD DVD and all but I just don't think they will win... seeing as how in the next few years the 360 will only have an add on for HD DVD but will also support Blu Ray if it does become the dominant format, I think Blu Ray will win because every PS3 will have one in it and does not need the add on and considering they will sell probably 10 million units or more, that is a big market for a guaranteed player for every movie maker. Like just knowing that I can choose which external drive I want I am gonna wait a year or 2 before I choose because if I bought an external HD DVD and then it loses the battle then I am gonna be screwed with a $300 piece of useless hardware. Then I would have to buy a Blu Ray. And I think alot of people are thinking the same thing

#9 CattyKid

CattyKid

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts
  • Interests:Everything

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:21 AM

For me, it's either HD-DVD or neither. Look. Now, why would I buy a $20 movie that I can't copy to my HDD, or stream over a network? We need managed copy, which Blu-Ray doesn't include (at least at last count).
I think it's also likely that both wil fail as the pale in comparison to Holographics Disks.

#10 VOlition

VOlition

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:29 AM

I think, both will win. Something is fishy that MS wants blue ray support for 360 too.

#11 Virtucon

Virtucon

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:44 AM

Why wouldn't the movie, music, and software companies back a disc that won't have a consumer recordable version? That would really make it harder to pirate if you couldn't buy a Blue-ray or hd-dvd recorder. I also think that creating a disc that can't work in a PC would help fight piracy. That could be as simple as making disc a few inches bigger. Sure an external drive could be added that is larger than 5.25 inches but that beside the point (it would also give a huge increase in capacity). Also, with all these new codecs, do we really need 70+GB discs? That would be great for PC data though.

My 2
2 more, blue-ray=beta-max=mini-disc=la-me

#12 FallsInc

FallsInc

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:45 AM

exactly true... hd dvd will come out on top, cause sony ALWAYS loves to make new formats for everything they make, and they never take off... haha, sony tv's? 1366x768 (768p???), minidisc, betamax.... all are technically superior formats to the competetor, but they never work out... blu-ray will always be in the shadow of hd dvd

#13 shikaka

shikaka

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 10:19 AM

like Psilocybe said, there will be more ps3s sold than xbox 360 and everyone with ps3 will have a blue ray drive in their home. That fact really tells how its going to be in the near future.
Also MS is saying that it will support blueray because if hd dvd does not work out they dont want to be shown as the company that went against blueray and ended up using it. This is really true just think about it for a bit.

#14 blubberpud

blubberpud

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:23 AM

I'm with FallsInc, isn't this VHS..Beta all over again. I realize if these formats go into consoles they will get more exposure but is Sony in anyones 'good books' now?

#15 Brendan27

Brendan27

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:08 PM

People can't still be that jaded by Sony's empty promises that most of what is said about Blu-ray will happen? HD-DVD all the way.

Plus, who cares if a Ps3 has a blu-ray player in it, this format war will be decided by the Adult Industry and what medium they choose to put their movies out on will win.

Edited by Brendan27, 14 January 2006 - 12:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users