Photo

Are Games Not As Fun As They Used To Be To You?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 jop12

jop12

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:Blue
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:07 AM

So like most people, they used to play all the time, and now wondering why the hell is it so hard to enjoy games as much? Do you believe its because of the growing load times, since almost all games started out on cartridges, like N64, Gameboy, Sega's games, etc... What do you think? ''

ps i think long load times is like reading a long pointless paragragh in a book.
rolleyes.gif

#2 Mick Garvey

Mick Garvey

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:42 AM

I think this is because of a lack of interest in the newer games. Back when NES was out and SNES was coming out there were MAJOR breakthroughs in software and hoardware. I loved those days so much, all the new original games, now the only thing that seems to change is the graphics... This is partially why I will be getting a Revolution as it will have some new innovative ideas not just better graphics.

#3 []-[]ooDLu[]v[]

[]-[]ooDLu[]v[]

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:50 AM

man i feel the same way too...i remember u could play any game and enjoi everytime...now-a-days we expect so much outta games that the game industry cant keep up...

#4 Lunar Aura

Lunar Aura

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:04 AM

Getting older and growing up. Expectations rise and we get nostalgic. That's all there is to it. If we played games of today in the past, the fun factor imo would be the same (or more).

Approaching 2 decades of videogaming would do that to a person. It takes that much more to impress us. And graphics, believe it or not, are becoming less important.

#5 Gbeav

Gbeav

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:12 AM

I think it's because games have not become more inovative, just more realist as far as gfx go. All you see is people saying "it looks great". When the truth is a game can look crappy and still be fun. This generation of consoles might be a big flop gamewise unless someone comes up with some new ideas.

#6 CattyKid

CattyKid

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts
  • Interests:Everything

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:25 AM

QUOTE(Gbeav @ Jan 14 2006, 01:19 AM) View Post

I think it's because games have not become more inovative, just more realist as far as gfx go. All you see is people saying "it looks great". When the truth is a game can look crappy and still be fun.

A-freakin-men. I hear you. Do you know what game I love? Kirby's Dreamland for the NES (I own that game, but for some reason couldn't get an Xbox NES emu to play it, weird). It's just plain fun.
I might bust out the NES and play for a while.

#7 mgamer20o0

mgamer20o0

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:36 AM

i think this can be said about almost anything. when we first do something nothing that comes after that can live up to it. what i try to do in games and movies is find something diffrent. it might not be the A+++ titles or even something you want play long or watch again. for me this helps a lot so it doesnt feel like i am playing or watching the same thing over again.

#8 mathias

mathias

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:44 AM

personally I think this is the reason why xbox live has become such a big hit.... and nintendo is following suit...

I think being able to play your video game classics with online multiplayer and chat is just sweet smile.gif

#9 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:59 AM

the one reason i will never sell my xbox - emulation. akari warriors all the way. i think you really have to put what next gen means on the table. people keep thinking next gen means the end of all and as good as it can get. the sublte details that seperate the 360 from the xbox is where next gen is. this isnt the end folks. its all about ambiance and the surroundings. its going to get better on the 360 and the ps3, and you will be blown away. but you cant expect realism, the consoles cant stop here. we have a long road ahead. the switch from 2d to 3d was drastic. mind boggling in a few words. but whats after 3d? time will tell, and thats all we have got. hang in there.

ham bone

#10 Kernal69er

Kernal69er

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE(Lunar Aura @ Jan 14 2006, 01:11 AM) View Post

Getting older and growing up. Expectations rise and we get nostalgic. That's all there is to it. If we played games of today in the past, the fun factor imo would be the same (or more).

Approaching 2 decades of videogaming would do that to a person. It takes that much more to impress us. And graphics, believe it or not, are becoming less important.

Lunar is 100% right, if it was like 15-20 years ago would be different, you would love them all (even though you would porbably only have 1 or 2, since no $$) Let's face it when we were kids there was no interent and lots of people didn't even have computers, 486 was sweet..... Now a days my 7 year old nephew has a 3.2GHZ PC to himself and knows more than I do... We all have more and more expectations,, we find a game that plays good and great grpahics but complain about framerate. Or a game with poor graphics.. Dammit back in the day we didn't even care about graphics

Anyone remeber 3 on 3 NES ICE HOCKEY or Blades Of Steel,,,,, lol

#11 metaldevil

metaldevil

Webhead

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(Kernal69er @ Jan 14 2006, 09:31 AM) View Post
Anyone remeber 3 on 3 NES ICE HOCKEY or Blades Of Steel,,,,, lol
Oh, p'shaw! I remember when Yar's Revenge was the proverbial "shit"! cool.gif I remember playing the crap out of it on my new Atari 2600!

QUOTE(Mick Garvey @ Jan 14 2006, 12:49 AM) View Post
I loved those days so much, all the new original games
You're not taking into account all the games that were carbon copies of other games. SMB was emulated to an agonizing degree in "those days."

QUOTE(Lunar Aura @ Jan 14 2006, 01:11 AM) View Post

This argument holds the most merit, but it best suits those of us like myself who grew up in the late seventies and early eighties.

I don't think games are "not as fun as they used to be." I think they're as fun as they always were. Maybe some you are outgrowing videogames. None of us can be dispassionate about answering this question because we all grew up in different times. I have an extremely unfair bias because games "grew up" as I did. Although I wasn't yet born for the genesis of videogames, I was around when both of us were toddlers. I was seven years old when the NES came to town. Although there were game systems in existence then (Atari, Colecovision, etc.), it was the NES that cause the "Big Bang." Even as a kid, it took me aback and I thought, "Holy shit, they're actually gonna take gaming seriously. This should be exciting."

There are, and always will be, games that are good, bad, great or horrible for every system you play. I also don't think technology is what's making them good or bad. It's all personal choice. There's no proof that games were more fun then and are less fun now. It's a matter of opinion. I'd rather play PGR3 than E.T. for the 2600. On the same note, I'd rather play Super Mario Bros. 3 on my NES than Kameo. As far as greatness goes, the pinnacle of videogaming to me was during the years of PlayStation.

My two cents. wink.gif

#12 alsybub

alsybub

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • Location:South Coast, UK PlayStation3 Version: v1.0 Nintendo Wii Version: v1.0

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:15 PM

I think it's partly to do with growing up and also that games used to be simple and addictive. Now games are 'epics' with huge story lines which you can generally only fully enjoy in 1 play through. Re-play value these days is incentivised with extra costuimes, weapons, backdrops etc. etc. it no longer seems to be many games that you just can't stop playing because it is so addictive. The most addictive games of this nature recently for me were Katamari Damacy and Lumines. That's not a lot considering in the same periond of time since Katamari Damacy 1 was released I have probably bought about 30 games and played even more.

#13 thund3rcat

thund3rcat

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:22 PM

Our life style have changed, compare 80's and early 90's to now. All we did back then was school and nintendo.

#14 Altima NEO

Altima NEO

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, XBox, 360, PSP, Dreamcast, 3D Graphics & Animation
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 14 January 2006 - 10:05 PM

Yeah, so true.

I think one of the reasons Ive been liking DOA4 so much is because of its difficulty.

I remember back in the day of NES and SNES, games were FU*KING HARD! Rush'n Attack, Contra, Silver Surfer, Ninja Turtles III, Mario Kart, Super Metroid, etc. These games where a pain in the ass, and it made it fun. It was a challenge to beat the game. The games couldnt rely on graphics, cuz there were none!

These days, you get recycled gameplay taken from other games, with only graphical updates (if at all) or just same game, with different levels.

#15 langlest

langlest

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 January 2006 - 10:35 PM

i can only speak for myself here but i think its down to piracy, i downloaded all my xbox and ps2 games and found that i was only playing them for about 5mins then going onto the next game i had downloaded, im enjoying games more now i have started buying them again but not as much as i did before i started downloading. i have decided that im never gonna mod my 360 now unless there are some good emulators available & even then im not gonna download any games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users