3 replies to this topic

#1 darknight65

darknight65

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:34 AM

I would like to know if it possible to take the Xbox cable from the controller and solder it into a N64, NES, SNES or anyother gaming controller. I just think it would be great to be able to play one of the emulators with the orginal controller. I'm sure it's possible to do the face plate mod with the USB ports and get a simular controller that runs through that connection but I don't think would be a cool as the orginal.

I did take a look at the Xbox controllers inters and from what I could tell, at a glance, is that the thick black wire is for the memory cards and two wires must be power and ground for the rumble motors (black and red). So that leaves three wires for the control buttons and analog sticks. I do believe the older controllers used more pins but I have never looked at the inside of them before.

I was just curious if it was possible and if anyone has thought about doing this?

#2 oxjeremy334

oxjeremy334

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,844 posts
  • Interests:Being a Rhinestone Cowboy
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:25 AM

The easiest thing to do is look at the schematics for the xbox controller to find which wires go where for a usb port. Then do a little research on the contollers that you want, as I think that there are resources on the web for making these usb also. Then, it would be all downhill from there.

#3 darknight65

darknight65

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:59 AM

I did find the schematics for the xbox wire to usb and another schematic to wire an NES system here: http://www.joystiq.c...-a-pc-joystick/

I did see an adapter for PS & N64 to USB but I would rather have a straight cable. It seems to me it would be easy enough to get diagrams for controllers to usb ports and solder the XB wire directly to the board. But I can't find diagrams to usb execpt for the NES. I did find diagrams to D-SUB but my knowledge of D-SUB connections is very little. Here's the link: http://www.hardwares....com/article/80

If you maybe know where to find the diagrams that would be awsome!

#4 darknight65

darknight65

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:25 PM

For anyone who is interested I came across this site: http://www.retrousb.com/index.html which sells a USB controller preflashed with a USB cord.

However they do not offer a N64 set. I did do some research but I could not find an easy solution. So far I found which micro chip should be use and the programing for it but you need a USB programer in order to flash the chip which is $100, not worth the effort in my oppion.

But I will keep looking for a better solution for making your own N64/Xbox contorller without using adapters.

If someone finds a soultion please post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users