168 replies to this topic

#1 DarkCloud12X

DarkCloud12X

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:27 AM

It was mentioned in the linux forum that maybe I should post something like this in here where there may be more of an interest in playing psx on Xbox. Hopefully this will get people to test and then post their results as they try more games.

This tutorial will be written under the basis that you have never used XDSL or linux before. if you have feel free to scroll down to the sections that you need to.

First things first...You will need to download the latest XDSL which can be found here (xdsl-0.5.zip). Inside the zip is an iso. Make sure you have the latest version of winrar...this will allow you to open the iso and extract it's contents (saving you from having to waste a cdr).

Now FTP into your xbox and do the following:

extract the KNOPPIX folder from the iso onto drive E of your Xbox. IT MUST BE PLACED IN E:...NOT E:/apps or such. E:/Knoppix is how the program has to see it for it to work. now then...open the KNOPPIX folder you just created on E and drag minirt24.gz and linux 24 into it. Now go into your Apps folder and create a folder called Linux and drag the default.xbe from the iso into this. Ok...almost done setting up dsl to install....last step is to make a text file and paste this into it:

title XDSL
kernel KNOPPIX/linux24
initrd KNOPPIX/minirt24.gz
append root=/dev/ram0 init=/etc/init rw video=xbox:640x480 frugal quiet kbd-reset

and then rename the text file as linuxboot.cfg. FTP that DIRECTLY into your E directory.

Now reboot your xbox and then select the new Linux option in your apps list. If you've done everything right it should load up to a blue screen with 3 choices at the bottom. Select the one in the middle and hopefully if all goes well in a few minutes you should be looking at a desktop. (When it asks you what resolution to choose i'd recomend 640X480 if you are not playing on a HDTV)

your controller should act just like a Mouse with button A as left click and B as right. right click anywhere on the desktop to get the menu list. Scroll down to where it says apps. another menu should pop to the side...scroll down this to where it says Apps. Now be careful in this new menu that pops up as some of the selections can screw up your F drive...Be SURE not to select native install. We want to click on loopback install to proceed.

This part should be pretty self explanatory if you're familiar with installing things in dos. just follow the onscreen instructions using the keyboard that should've loaded up when the desktop did. When it asks you where to make the loopback file I'd recomend Drive F 2000 megs if you have the space. And also be sure to do a 128 meg swap file when it asks.

OK when you're done with that reset your xbox (right click and scroll down to shutdown/reboot) and then reload the linux app...middle option as before. you should now be giving a choice of how to boot. Select Loopback install and in a few minutes you'll be back on the linux dashboard.

OK NOW we can start the fun stuff. Right click on the desktop and scroll down to system...then scroll down to Daemon...scroll down to betaftpd...and finally start betafpd. You now have ftp access to your system (and will need to do this each time you restart linux if you wish to ftp in).

open your ftp program of choice and ftp into your xbox as you normally would with the exception that your login/pass will be dsl. If everything is working you should be in the home/dsl/ folder. Now to start to setup ePSXe.

First create a folder in Home/DSL/ labelled epsxe. (Home/dsl/epsxe/) Then download the Linux version of ePSXe here. Extract and ftp the contents to the newly created epsxe folder. ok right now our main concerns will be in the bios, cfg, and plugins folders.

For the bios Google is your friend. I recommend getting scph1001 or 7501. Extract the bios zip into the bios folder. Next up are plugins/cfgs. You'll need linux specific plugins to use this emulator, and to make this simple i will stick with plugins I know work and are already compiled.

first up is the video plugin. currently the only linux video plugin that doesn't crash epsxe is P.E.O.Ps softgpu so we'll download that. you can get that here. Open the zip and extract the files cfgPeopsSoft and gpuPeopsSoftX.cfg into your ePSXe cfg folder. Extract libgpuPeopsSoftX.so.1.0.17 into your ePSXe plugins folder. We're done with graphics for now so let's move onto sound.

Since Valkyrie Profile and Star ocean 2 are the biggest thorns in pcsxbox's side let's use the sound plugin best suited to getting them to play. You can get the Linux version of eternalspu here. This one has a zip inside the zip...just open that zip and inside it should be a file called libspuEternal.so.1.41. Extract it to your ePSXe plugin folder. simple enough...now onto the main problem with ePSXe linux: the controller plugin.

You can get one here. Same as last time open the zip in the zip and inside the folder you should see a folder marked bin...inside that you should see two files. move the one with cfg in it's name into the cfg folder and the other one into your plugins folder.

K...ePSXe is almost ready to setup but first we must set the filest to have read/write/execute ability. On your linux desktop there should be an icon that looks like a filing cabinet. Click that icon and you should see a dual windowed screen pop up. In the left window will be your "desktop" files. you should automatically see the folder for ePSXe (if you placed it directly in /home/dsl/) so double click on the folder to open it.

Now click and hold the a button and work your way down every file/folder in the epsxe folder. then press B to bring up a menu...scroll down to properties then scroll to permissions in the new menu. click it and a window of 9 rectangular checks should appear. check them all in and then click apply to all. now repeat these steps for every file in cfg, bios, and plugins.

OK...now that that is done we can set ePSXe to play games. close emelfm and look at your desktop. A the top in the left corner is an icon called Aterminal (looks like a monitor). click on it and what looks like a dos box should open up. If you don't have the virtual keyboard already open you can do so by clicking the keyboard icon on the desktop. (if you type on the keyboard and nothing seems to be happening on the terminal screen in the lower right corner of the keyboard is a focus button...just click it then click the terminal screen to get it to work)

Now you will type:

sudo modprobe joydev

...and press enter. this will enable your xbox pad as a joystick. On my xbox for some reason js0 (controller 1) is enabled on controller port 2 when I do this. So i recommend having two controls plugged in at all times (these must be plugged in already when xdsl is booted up). You must do this EVERYTIME that you restart linux if you want ePSXe (or any other program) to see your xpad as a joystick.

OK...now we setup ePSXe. Open emelfm again and open the epsxe folder. You should see a file named epsxe...double click it and if all is well the ePSXe emulator screen will pop up. 1st things first: the controller plugin. on the epsxe screen click on the config tab at the top then scroll down to where it says ext. game pad. Select ammoq's padjoy pkugin from the list and click configure. your screen should be filled with a window with text representations of the psx controller setup. My analog sticks were loose so i had small interferance while I was doing this. But as long as you button inputs (B1, B2, B3, etc) match mine your end results should be fine.

I made L1 (B5) the white button. L2 (A1+) the left thumbclick. R1 (B2) was black. R2 (A3-) was left thumb click. Up (B9), left (B12), right (B10), and down (B11) were the digital pad buttons of the same direction. Select (B13) was back. Start (B8) was of course start. Triangle (B4) was Y. Circle (B1) was B. Cross (B0) was A. And Square (B3) was X.

Now press OK at the bottom of the window (you should just barely be able to see it) and the biggest hurdle is over. On to graphics. Click config again and scroll down to video. Select P.E.Op.S SoftX driver and click configure. All you should really have to do here is change the dithering option to "game dependent" or "always dither". Everything else should be fine. Click ok and now we move on to sound.

click config and then sound. 1st things first...check every check on this screen EXCEPT "Enable SPU IRQ hack"...the sound plugin has it's own option for this. now select Eternal SPU and click configure.

Set audio device to OSS...Buffer size to 64.

Under Audio out method select SPUasync and Async mode as smooth.

Don't mess with the Misc section as it should be fine default.

Under special game fixes go ahead and check them if you want to...if you get errors later on in games not listed feel free to uncheck them later.

Now click OK. and we move on.

Click Config and then bios. Click select and maneuver to the ePSXe bios folder (if it's not already there) and select you scph1001 (etc).bin file and then click ok.

Last one will be memory cards. I'm not sure how the linux version works but the windows ePSXe auto generated my memory cards on first play. If they aren't click config and then scroll down to memory cards. set a place to save them and it should auto make them (be sure to give them read write permission like you did all the other files a few steps up).

OK...ePSXe is ready to go. now you have a few different ways to play games. You can ftp into linux and put the disc images directly in your dsl folder...

You can save them to your E or F partition and access them from there. This way is a little tricky as you need to know how Linux handles file structures. On your desktop in the lower right area is a stack of boxes. the top box is the one you need. If you click the arrows you should see cdrom (self explanatory) and hda50-55. The HDA's are your xbox's partitions. HDA50 is your E drive. HDA 55 is your F drive. so depending on the drive you need click the button by the arrows to mount them (the button will turn green if they are mounted correctly). now to access these drives for isos on epsxe click file...then click run iso. In the left window that pops up click ./ until it won't go back any farther then scroll down until you see the folder MNT. Open the folder for your drive and then select your isos wherever you stored them.

Now for the easiest way (for me anyways) is the cdrom/dvdrom method. Your Xbox cannot read PSX cds well so you'll have to burn all your games as .bin, .nrg, .img, type images to a cdrom or dvdrom. Then insert the dvd into your xbox and like above mount your cdrom (click the button by the arrow when it's got cdrom selected). Then like before run iso...go back as far as you can then open the folder marked cdrom.

And viola...you're playing ePSXe on your Xbox.

Speed is about the same for the most part as PCSXbox but the compatability is MUCH better.

Edited by Thraxen, 16 March 2006 - 04:59 AM.

#2 georaldc

georaldc

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:24 PM

this just turns linux into a normal application you can launch from your dashboard right?

#3 georaldc

georaldc

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 03:33 PM

Ok I got everything set up, took a little break, booted on my xbox, accessed xdsl and all of a sudden my desktop icons disappeared, so I can't access the "filing cabinet" shortcut without knowing what its called....

#4 georaldc

georaldc

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:18 PM

alright, I found the aterminal already, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything for me when i type sudo modprobe joydev. Controls aern't working since I can't configure them. Sound doesn't seem to be working as well. Also, I'm having HDTV problems with xdsl (I have to disable HDTV resolutions from the dashboard to get 480p output working. Weird known bug I guess)....

Oh well, its late right now, gotta go get some sleep. At least I got Linux running, laugh.gif . Never thought of doing that until you showed up with a simple tut, thanks

#5 DarkCloud12X

DarkCloud12X

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:24 PM

With an HDTV you can choose the higher resolutions to boot from but i'm not sure exactly how high you can go or if it'd be a performance hit on linux/epsxe. Not sure why the sound wouldn't be working if you have the plugin setup like I mentioned but for the controls try this...

Right click Aterminal and select open as Super user. This opens it as root allowing you to make internal changes. then type:

chmod a+r /dev/input/js0

maybe try also typing modprbe joydev while setup as super user...

on your joypad configuration screen make sure that it is pointing at /dev/input/js0. If you get no button responses after that try starting linux with the controllers in seperat ports. For me i only ever touch controller 2 when I'm playing (as my linux thinks it's js0; controller 1) and use controller 1 as my mouse. however yours may be reactiing differently so theres no telling which controller is being setup as js0 without some experimentation. Also if you're using 3rd party pads it may cause conflicts (or if you have devices like dvd dongles plugged in)

Seriously you have no idea how many days it took before I finally got my xpad to act as a controller, heh. but it's worth it in the end.

#6 georaldc

georaldc

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 12:38 AM

all my desktop icons are gone and I'm not sure how to restore them again, so what I do is press B, go to xshells then choose from Root Access. I'm guessing this is just the same as the root terminal right?

EDIT:
Ok, I got the controls all sorted out now. My only problem is with the sound. No sound whatsoever is coming out. Oh yeah, another problem is that sometimes xdsl combines the X and A button of my S Controller, which makes navigating around and controlling Epsxe pretty frustrating. Maybe another bug because it doesn't happen on the original xbox controller

Edited by georaldc, 15 January 2006 - 01:09 AM.

#7 georaldc

georaldc

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 05:12 AM

damn, I can't edit my last post....

I finally got the sounds working (rofl, stupid me, I only had the spu IRQ hack checked, all the other sound options were unchecked laugh.gif ). Now the main problem is the mouse cursor. Putting the video setting to full screen seems to get rid of it, but then I have no idea how to get out of the emulator. Well, got to go test my other games and see how they run compared to pcsxbox

#8 DarkCloud12X

DarkCloud12X

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 08:20 AM

lol yeah...SPU irq hack is the one you want unchecked while everything else is checked.

And yeah the mouse bit is annoying when playing any game that has a lot of up movements. Hopefully in the future there will be a way to disable the mouse on certain controllers. For now just put the game in full screen and save and reset the xbox when you're done playing I guess. Maybe map the escape button to the left trigger using joyd to avoid that.

Nice to hear at least one person was able to get it working besides me...lets me know I didn't waste two hours writing that all up lol. off hand which controller defaults to player one for you? 2nd controller port?

And by all means please post your results as you test your games. Would be nice to know which need any extra effort to get to work.

And to fix your desktop icons try right clicking the desktop and scrolling down to desktop option and play around with icontools. or scroll to window manager and loading up jvm and then loading fluxbox again. may fix that up.

Edited by DarkCloud12X, 15 January 2006 - 08:28 AM.

#9 georaldc

georaldc

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 08:58 AM

yup, 2nd port here too. Well, fullscreen doesn't seem to work all the time since you could still accidentally click on the lower taskbar. I tried testing FF7 and Chrono Cross. Its either the games would run too slow or they would skip hard if you enable frameskipping. At least the music/sounds would run full speed with frameskipping and due to the much updated plugin compared to pcsxbox, all the sound effects seem to sound correct (FF 7 in particular) xcept they sound kinda high pitched, just as what you said in the other forum. Also, the Eternal SPU plugin seems to put quite a strain on the xbox, slowing emulation even more.

The most playable setting I've found was using 320x240 windowed, but the mouse cursor can be a bit troublesome. I'll play around with the plugins some more and see what I could get out of the xbox.

Oh yeah, do you have a controller S? Whenever I press A, xdsl thinks I'm pressing both X and A at the same time. Doesn't happen with my other controller, the big, bulky regular one laugh.gif

#10 DarkCloud12X

DarkCloud12X

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:14 AM

yep...two S controllers only here. and my A works like a normal left click. may be having problems by using two different types of pads.

And yeah FF7 works better with P.E.Op.S spu plugin (google pete's plugins to find it) and needs some tweaking to get good results from. When you find good results feel free to post what you did in here as that's one of the big ones for some people.

Also to fix the lower taskbar set it to auto hide and position of upper left (right click the task bar). then when in full screen it should be no problem. You can still move the window from the top but it takes more effort to do so now.

Edited by DarkCloud12X, 15 January 2006 - 09:21 AM.

#11 Nemo1985X

Nemo1985X

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:44 AM

Hot Damn !!!

I am going to try Linux Mugen on Xdsl... biggrin.gif

#12 m@gnus

m@gnus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 15 January 2006 - 04:58 PM

i messed up at the loopback install process. my screen is small, and i couldnt read it.
Anyway, i accidently installed it in the wrong place(i think). Is it possible to delete & restart (like delete the swap file & every other file that goes with linux)?

#13 DarkCloud12X

DarkCloud12X

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:33 PM

as long as you delete the modified linuxboot.cfg (replacing with a new one) and your loopback image/swap file you should have no problem reinstalling it. If you're unsure just go ahead and delete all of the linux files plus the loopback/swap files and restart from scratch.

Edited by DarkCloud12X, 15 January 2006 - 07:34 PM.

#14 m@gnus

m@gnus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:20 PM

i deleted the swap files & replaced the linuxboot.cfg, but i still had the same problem(it freezes at the linux boot when it checks my 'Samsung DVD-ROM SDG-60').
I also tried deleting everything and started from scratch, but it didnt make a difference.
Could it have saved a setting in the Udata or Tdata? or should i delete my cache?

Edited by m@gnus, 15 January 2006 - 10:48 PM.

#15 DarkCloud12X

DarkCloud12X

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:48 PM

not sure. do you have any usb adaptor devices plugged in while booting? I recall problems with keyboard and mice causing hangups upon boot...and the dvd ir sensor.

You may want to ask someone in the *nix on xbox forum for help with getting DSL setup from a failed attempt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users