Photo

Have You Added Pads To Your 360 Dvd Drive To Stop Scratches?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 revs

revs

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 02:08 AM

as the title says "Have you added pads to your 360 DVD Drive to stop Scratches?"

as seen here: http://www.llamma.co...0-DVD-Drive.htm

I will hopefully have my 360 soon, and am very worried im going to ruin a 40 game with just a little wobble of the 360!

I will not be moving it from horizontal to vertical - but have read that it can scratch just from a little wobble/vibration (e.g. kicking the table by mistake)

If you have added pads, how thick were they? was it difficult? how much of the 360 needs pulling apart to get to the dvd drive?

#2 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 15 January 2006 - 02:12 AM

i personally havent had any problems and havent had to install any pads...
if a game got scratched i would return it to MS for a new 360 and somehow return the damaged game for a new one

#3 Mick Garvey

Mick Garvey

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 January 2006 - 02:12 AM

I have moved mine alot while a disk is in it (halo 2) and have never scratched it.

#4 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 15 January 2006 - 02:52 AM

http://forums.xbox-s...dpost&p=3185650

#5 adfinder23

adfinder23

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:58 AM

QUOTE(Mick Garvey @ Jan 14 2006, 08:19 PM) View Post

I have moved mine alot while a disk is in it (halo 2) and have never scratched it.

Wow. I was under the impression that all 360's would scratch the DVD if it was moved. How much have you moved it, you say a lot, but I mean in terms of angle.

I don't think I will test mine either way. biggrin.gif

#6 zikronix

zikronix

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 15 January 2006 - 05:17 AM

no i havnt installed pads...becuase i dont move my shit while its running...DUH

#7 dante327

dante327

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 102 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:04 AM

ive had a problem with my 360 slightly scratching the tops of my games artwork and my system never moves....has anyone noticed it? and the weird thing is its always at the top of the game almost directly in the middle where it says xbox 360. really weird just wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing this.

#8 Overloaded

Overloaded

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:10 AM

there are different models of dvdrom drive shipped with 360's just like they did with the original xboxes. i dont think its but one model that scratches the disc and hopefully from all the scratching reports they will stop using that model or start adding the pads to that model as they do with the other models.

i have been playing for almost a full month now and have'nt had any problems with my drive scratching disc.

#9 Lotus289

Lotus289

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:21 AM

or we could just not be an idiot and not move your 360 w/ a dics spinning inside. any ROM will do that, not just the 360. why the hell would anyone move the system from vertical to horozontal or visa versa while it's running blink.gif

#10 Master X

Master X

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:31 AM

It will only scratch if you move it from vertical to horizontal position. Wobbling it or moving it back a little bit wont damage disk. I wouldnt add the pads to the dvd drive also because it voids the warranty.

#11 Sidewinder007z

Sidewinder007z

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:33 AM

Well I get a pretty good deal on DSkins for my cdroms.

If I pay 60bux for a game, I am going to throw a 50cent cover
on it to play it safe. They work great, and I've never had disc
scratch problems.

#12 Granulated

Granulated

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE(Lotus289 @ Jan 14 2006, 11:28 PM) View Post

or we could just not be an idiot and not move your 360 w/ a dics spinning inside. any ROM will do that, not just the 360. why the hell would anyone move the system from vertical to horozontal or visa versa while it's running blink.gif

+1

I was gonna say that, but it's already been said. DON'T MOVE IT, and you won't have a problem.

#13 revs

revs

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE(zikronix @ Jan 15 2006, 04:24 AM) View Post

no i havnt installed pads...becuase i dont move my shit while its running...DUH

QUOTE(Lotus289 @ Jan 15 2006, 05:28 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Granulated @ Jan 15 2006, 06:57 AM) View Post

+1

I was gonna say that, but it's already been said. DON'T MOVE IT, and you won't have a problem.

If you had read my post you would have seen that i dont intend to move it about, or move it from Horizontal to Vertical. As stated in my original post - there have been quite a few reports of disks scratching withough moving the machine - i.e. as said n my original post, vibrations (maybe from a subwoofer), acidentaly nudging the table etc..

Stop jumping the gun and assuming im going to be shaking the 360 like crazy. Read posts fully.

#14 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:12 PM

I still suggest disc covers MUCH more than voiding the warranty on a 400$+ investment.

#15 dkkev

dkkev

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE(Lotus289 @ Jan 15 2006, 06:28 AM) View Post

uh.. ever heard of Disc-mans?? not ANY ROM is so stupid to wobble your disc if you move it.. even if just sligthly.. this is definitely a design error..

on a 2nd note:
sadly d_skin's are not available in europe.. i havent seen any resellers at least. and d_skins website doesnt link to any non-us stores... (who all btw only ship us/canada)

my pgr3 disc is ruined cuz of a not so good break-away cable feature.. is MS going to replace my disc if i call 360 support?
cuz the store i bought the game at has no real info/experience with 360 games.. so they would not let me swap it.. since they didnt know they told me to call MS - but has anyone who has had scratched discs.. had any experience with 360 support and scratched discs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users