Fredro

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 119 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:54 AM

is the sniper conidered a cheesy or cheap weapon?

im wondering what the thought on this is amongst people who are really into the game. ive been enjoying it on 360, and i play on a PC LAN a lot at my tech school.

we would get the games going at school, with about 12 or so people in it. and most of them would sit around with snipers inside buildings for the whole game.

after a while it got real annoying and boring with all the sniping. so a few of us said we need to limit the snipers to 1 or 2 per team (to make things a little more interesting). so of course a couple kids start getting mad "blah blah now i cant get 1 million kills a game, by shooting people from the other side of the level"

i always thought they should make it more like Halo, where you have to snipe in the head for a 1 shot kill, or twice for anywhere else.

im aware maybe the timeframe (WWII vs the future) may have something to do with this. but i dunno, just wondering what the opinion is on this........

#2 adfinder23

adfinder23

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 03:21 AM

Well, if it's considered a cheap weapon then about 80% of people who play it on 360 Live are cheap. Including myself. However, I don't just sit in a building the whole time either, I move around. I don't play teams so if I wouldn't get many kills without moving around. But when I do move around I often get mowed down by someone with a machine gun as we turn the same corner.

I know what you mean though. It does kind of suck when you keep getting sniped. You spawn in a corner and try to make your way towards some action and you get sniped. Occassionally I switch it up, but the snipers get me so bad that I switch back. Offline though I like sniping a lot, there's fewer players so you have more chance to snipe than be sniped.

I also grab machine guns for my cousin, cuz if all I did was snipe she'd never get more than 3 kills.

#3 Foe-hammer

Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, body building, video games
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 18 January 2006 - 06:47 AM

I'd have to agree, some, that the sniper rifle is a little unbalanced.

But, i love sniping. tongue.gif And sniping is the only way i can get kills up close, because my connection suck so bad (laggerific!) i need that powerful one shot kill.

Edited by Foe-hammer, 18 January 2006 - 06:48 AM.

#4 Killa420

Killa420

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 06:56 AM

How else you suppose to shoot people from long distances. Most of the maps are big and automatics / shotguns are pointless. Not every shot from a sniper rifle kills, espeically the weaker ones like the britishs gun. Learn how to use one and learn how to move around more or your just gonna keep dieing. I use it about 90% of the time b/c the maps are like that.

#5 mike_jacko

mike_jacko

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:53 AM

i like them.. but hate CAMPERS

#6 hamesy

hamesy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Computers, Cars
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:03 PM

I love using snipers. Normally I find a nice position, take a shot or two at someone then find another position. Thats how snipers work and that how I like working.

Sniper V sniper is fun aswell. Knowing where a sniper is but you cant kill him because you haven't got a good enough shot makes things more interesting.

#7 adfinder23

adfinder23

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:09 PM

You know what would be a sweet board for COD2 sniping. A level just comprised of rubble and what not everywhere and only 2 snipers on the board, you vs. someone else(Basically a map where there's no chance of someone being out of sight, not like where you're in a building and they're 5 blocks down behind a barrel where even if you knew where he was you wouldn't be able to get a shot). And like real snipers you are concealed in that rubble and spend your time moving slowly and looking for the other sniper. Kind of like that one movie about the Russian sniper played by Jude Law.

It could get a little redundant if it took too long, but I think it would be fun and realistic. It'd take you a while to find the person, but when you did it'd be great. Then he'd respawn elsewhere and it's Where's Waldo all over again. You can't really do that on current maps because the two of you could be no where in sight of each other. It could also work with more than 2 people but 1 on 1 has a sense of urgency. If it's 8 snipers all hiding you have 7 people you can find and 7 people that can find you, so you will be doing a lot of killing and getting killed a lot. But 1 on 1 is kill or be killed.

#8 smartygre1

smartygre1

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:13 PM

Campers suck. If there is a point to the game, like capture the flag, they really don't advance the team, just themseleves. I like to sneak up on them and execute 'em.

#9 adfinder23

adfinder23

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE(smartygre1 @ Jan 18 2006, 04:20 PM) View Post

Campers suck. If there is a point to the game, like capture the flag, they really don't advance the team, just themseleves. I like to sneak up on them and execute 'em.

That's exactly why I don't camp. I'll grab a position somwhere for a couple minutes and hope someone strolls along and then I'll get Judo Chopped by someone walking up behind me. Even if no one would walk up behind me I still wouldn't camp because you really don't see enough people.

#10 KMFDM

KMFDM

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Xbox
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:44 PM

Snipers are just cheap, i can understand 1 or 2 in a game but when everyone snipes its not even fun anymore. You dont need a scoped rifle to kill someone long range, if "you" are anygood you would always use the garand or kar98k which are both powerful in taking someone down from a far away distance. Also on another note, is it me or why does so many people suck at cod2 on live. Every single game i come in first and its just sad crushing everyone. sleeping.gif

#11 tommiwan

tommiwan

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:Halo, Bioshock, Crackdown
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:57 PM

Any time you get competitive with a game, you cannot sit back and use/not use certain weapons because you think they are cheap... are you out to win? Then use EVERYTHING they put in the game to win. that includes all weapons.

It's like people complaining about the noob combo in halo... I play halo a bit more competitively and I'm out to win. That means I'm gonna use everything in the game, and guess what, it's not cheap or cheating. Weapon control is key in halo 2, but each weapon has good parts, but there is a counter to each weapon as well.

Anyway, to get back on point, I have never felt bored in an online game of COD2 and it seems like everyone snipes, but I move around. I don't think it's a problem.

#12 Thyatis

Thyatis

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:19 PM

I love playing against snipers. A shotgun with a smoke grenade they are mine. Snipers aren't the be all and end all. I love the shotgun the most 90% of my time i have a shotgun, sure some maps i use a sniper rifle occasionally but most of the time it is the shotgun, nothing excites me more than watching for the sniper shot adn looking at where it was shot, then walking up behind them, bang in the head.

Tatics i use, is to get primary shotgun, then pick up a sniper for my pistol, just in case i walk up to a window and see someone.

But I am always moving. I hate it when you play headquarters or ctf and people have no idea wtf to do, it annoys me to no end!!!!!!

added:

I love it when people choose the sniper rifle at the beginning and i just hammer on them and then all of sudden tehy change there game. BTW some maps you need to use a long range / sniper weapon, which is what it is designed for.

Edited by Thyatis, 18 January 2006 - 11:20 PM.

#13 shooptek

shooptek

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:06 AM

I dont use snipers, because everyone else does. I use the following:

British/American - Thompson

Russian - ppsh42

German - MP44

Since everyone else uses snipers, I almost always have the advantage, because they are looking down their sights. Once I kill someone who has a sniper, then I have a SMG and a sniper, the deadliest combination.

Invite me (shooptek) if you want to see some skills at work tongue.gif

#14 rusty stucco

rusty stucco

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:19 AM

I will agree with you there. MP44 is the best weapon in the game. It homes right onto their heads and you will get a headshot every single time. Just practice and you will see much improvment. Also for british the Bren is good if you can no scope. I love sniper, but not for the noobs. Only the ones that actually run around and no scope or scope on the fly. I cant wait for the PATCH!!!

#15 lcapitan

lcapitan

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:46 AM

M1 Garand Baby!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users