Photo

Doa... How Do You Pull Off Throws Against The Computer?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Stunna7516

Stunna7516

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:16 AM

It seems like if they are blocking, it blocks the throws too. Basically, I am offensiveless against someone who blocks right now cause throws dont really work against computers. I also feel like Im not countering as much as I should be. Anyone want to go in depth and explain the countering system or link me to somewhere that does?

#2 LowProfileWurm

LowProfileWurm

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE(Stunna7516 @ Jan 18 2006, 06:23 PM) View Post

It seems like if they are blocking, it blocks the throws too. Basically, I am offensiveless against someone who blocks right now cause throws dont really work against computers. I also feel like Im not countering as much as I should be. Anyone want to go in depth and explain the countering system or link me to somewhere that does?
First and foremost, you should understand the timing. Just mashing the Free button won't do a counter. You have to hit the direction and free button at the moment of attack to pull off a counter.

Then, the best way to learn the counters is to do the exercises for each character. However, instead of watching your button presses at the bottom, press L3 and bring up the attack designator. This will tell you what attacks each character does (ie. Ein tends to do high attacks... therefore you should counter Up+Away+Free). Then, it's simply watching for certain attacks and combos.

As for throwing the computer, the best way is to stop in the middle of a combo and tap the throw button. If the CPU is blocking your combo, you can nail them with a forward+throw or down+forward+throw move. I tend to throw lots of low combos, then when the computer is crouch blocking, I chuck them somewhere with a low throw. biggrin.gif

#3 Souske

Souske

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:49 AM

If you've played DOA3/DOAU, then you probably just need to get used to the new pace of the game. It's so much faster than it was. Also, I find the timings have changed, and the countering system is a bit more complex(not by much though). So where I used to be able to counter alot by pressing back and free, I can't do that so much anymore. I personally feel like Story Mode has just gotten ridiculous. What used to be a chore in unlocking the costumes, is now almost not worth it.

#4 Stunna7516

Stunna7516

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:16 PM

Never played DOA3 at all. OK I just wanted to make sure I was doing it right, its tough to distinguise high from medium a lot of the times. Also, in mid combo, if your animation of attempting to counter/block doesnt show up, that means they have you in a combo that you cant counter in, correct? Last, when is it best to block compared to countering?

And Ill try the throw thing.

I dont think story is too bad. With Hayate I can beat it with dying like once or twice almost every time, but he is my best character probably.

#5 Stunna7516

Stunna7516

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 03:38 AM

Anyone know my extra Qs...

#6 Stunna7516

Stunna7516

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 05:18 PM

???

#7 sn4k13s

sn4k13s

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE(Stunna7516 @ Jan 19 2006, 03:23 PM) View Post

Never played DOA3 at all. OK I just wanted to make sure I was doing it right, its tough to distinguise high from medium a lot of the times. Also, in mid combo, if your animation of attempting to counter/block doesnt show up, that means they have you in a combo that you cant counter in, correct? Last, when is it best to block compared to countering?

No, you can counter in the middle of combos also, usually at the last big punch or kick is the easiest time to pull off a counter. You dont have to counter the first punch/kick in order for a counter to work. in fact, its the hardest to know what attack they are going to do. So its best not to try to guess a counter, because you will be penalized for it by taking increased damage. Its best to always block and only counter when you are familiar with the combo they are performing and can counter in the middle of the combo. (no guessing)

#8 dgrams2003

dgrams2003

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:36 PM

my big strategy is to fight defensively.
Against the computer this is really hard, cause It will mix up high and low kicks.
But against human opponents, 7 times out of 8, they will come at you hitting
with a 4 or 5 hit combo. (normally a high attack)
Just learn to keep blocking all the way till they are done swinging, and immediately
return fire. You are almost assurred victory, unless you go up against
someone that knows how to counter your assault.

I've only come across one other person that fights this way, otherwise
normally everyone is always "attack" "attack" "attack".
Once you know the characters it is easy to counter with hits after blocking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users