• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 suprsci

suprsci

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:32 PM

I've installed about 15 of these DuoX2 chips, and I've noticed that the placement of the BT wire (running from the chip, to the eject button) is crucial for certain Xbox versions. Running this wire close to inductors on the motherboard will not allow you to startup the Xbox with the modchip disabled (by pressing the eject button to power on the Xbox). I am using very thin gague wire for the D0 and BT points. I've heard that using thicker gague wire can solve this problem as well, but I have none available to try it out. Can anyone verifiy this?

#2 gjm

gjm

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:37 PM

That's a new one on me - i've never had this problem but i always use the ALT BT on the back of the motherboard with DuoX2's..

What behaviour do you get when the console "will not allow you to startup the Xbox with the modchip disabled"? Also, what are the "certain Xbox versions" of which you mention?

#3 antz1970

antz1970

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:45 PM

i think i may have experienced this as well , several of the duox2s that i have installed will not disable the chip with the eject button unless its held for a second or so (e.g a quick press results in the hacked bios loading) , and yes i was 100% sure of my installations in all cases , i never found a reason for it or a solution , altho in my defence , i didnt really look laugh.gif , i just told the punters to hold down eject for a sec or 2 to disable chip biggrin.gif

it never crossed my mind to try the alt bt point , ill maybe try that the next time i get a problem one

Edited by antz1970, 21 January 2006 - 07:46 PM.

#4 suprsci

suprsci

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:47 PM

gjm,

As far as I know, there is no "ALT BT" point on the back of the motherboard. You might be confusing it with the "ALT D0" point on the bottom side of the motherboard. The D0 wire is the "on enable" wire for the modchip. The BT wire allows you to disable the modchip by pressing the eject button, and runs from the chip to the front of the Xbox (right behind the eject button). See the following link to see the points I'm talking about...

http://www.duomodchi.../duox2_v1.0.jpg

When running the BT wire close to inductors on the motherboard (the circular things with wire wrapped around them), the Xbox will power on, the light on the front will stay green, but there isn't any video on the screen. Later Xbox versions (v1.6 for example) do not have any inductors between the chip and the BT solder point, so this is not a problem for those versions.

Edited by suprsci, 21 January 2006 - 08:34 PM.

#5 gjm

gjm

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:55 PM

I don't like using the BT point on the PCB behind the eject button because i don't like the wire trailing across the top of the motherboard.

I use the ALT BT on the bottom (it does exist, see this page for location - http://www.fixnchipz.co.uk/page10.html) as it means i can tape the wire down to the bottom of the motherboard, feed it through one of the unused LPC holes, right beside the wire from the alt D0. I've fitted dozens of chips like this and had no problems with any.

The problem described here could be the same as what Nugwin is experiencing in this (long and now messy) thread: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=481481

I'll mention it over there..

Edited by gjm, 21 January 2006 - 08:04 PM.

#6 suprsci

suprsci

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:01 PM

Yes!

I see what your're talking about. This is definitely a better BT point. Running the BT wire here is much more efficient: you're not running close to any inductors, nor are you running the wire to a point not on the motherboard. This way, if you have any problems with the install, you can easily remove the motherboard without unsoldering the BT wire. Thanks for the info!

Your link had an extra ")" in there....

http://www.fixnchipz.co.uk/page10.html

Edited by suprsci, 21 January 2006 - 08:21 PM.

#7 gjm

gjm

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:03 PM

No problem.

Could you answer this though: What behaviour do you get when the console "will not allow you to startup the Xbox with the modchip disabled"? Also, what are the "certain Xbox versions" of which you mention?

I'm just trying to work out if this could be the same problem as Nugwin is having in the other thread i just mentioned..

Edited by gjm, 21 January 2006 - 08:05 PM.

#8 suprsci

suprsci

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:22 PM

The Xbox will boot up with a green light, but there won't be any video on the screen.

I'm not sure exactly what versions. I think I modded a 1.2 console last week and I didn't have this problem. So, I'd say versions 1.0 and 1.1.

Edited by suprsci, 21 January 2006 - 08:24 PM.

#9 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 21 January 2006 - 09:00 PM

3 short of 500 of these and the original DuoX fitted. Never had this problem at all. Using Alt Bt or original BT.
30awg kynar

#10 Nugwin

Nugwin

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:XBOX
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:14 AM

QUOTE(suprsci @ Jan 21 2006, 02:29 PM) View Post

The Xbox will boot up with a green light, but there won't be any video on the screen.

I'm not sure exactly what versions. I think I modded a 1.2 console last week and I didn't have this problem. So, I'd say versions 1.0 and 1.1.

Yes! that what happened to me when i didnt have a modchip! I have a 1.3

#11 appleguru

appleguru

an Apple a Day...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Jan 21 2006, 03:07 PM) View Post

3 short of 500 of these and the original DuoX fitted. Never had this problem at all. Using Alt Bt or original BT.
30awg kynar

Yeah.. I'm going on 100 or so duox2s installed myself.. never had any problems with either BT point (I usually use the "regular" point behind the p/w pcb).. I use 30awg kynar insulated wire.

#12 hippo

hippo

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:46 AM

I've seen the problem they speak of, short of allowing 15 seconds between boot attempts, there is nothing you can do.

#13 snow rider221

snow rider221

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:02 AM

has anyone heard of something wierd going on where whenever i plug in my xbox, it begins to frag, but with an orange / green combo and not a red / green

its a Duox 2 white, and its a 1.0 xbox. The install is flawless except i am somewhat worried about my desoldering of the filled in lpc holes.

#14 appleguru

appleguru

an Apple a Day...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:35 AM

QUOTE(snow rider221 @ Jan 22 2006, 11:09 PM) View Post

has anyone heard of something wierd going on where whenever i plug in my xbox, it begins to frag, but with an orange / green combo and not a red / green

its a Duox 2 white, and its a 1.0 xbox. The install is flawless except i am somewhat worried about my desoldering of the filled in lpc holes.

AV cable plugged in? wink.gif

...Check for solder splashes on the ram chips.

#15 snow rider221

snow rider221

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 07:19 AM

the wierd thing is though, i dont even turn it on, it just goes right to frag without hitting any buttons

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users