Photo

Soldering Iron For Controller Port Leds?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 paintballinfred

paintballinfred

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:31 AM

im going to order off of llama.com tonight. i was wondering if the manual desolder pump works good. if it doesn't, does llama sell braid? i wanna do the controller port mod and the sooner i order this stuff the better biggrin.gif

#17 Lazymofo

Lazymofo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:33 AM

I never took off the solder from the controller ports, I just used a flathead screwdriver and poped it right off because I didn't care.

#18 Xcl

Xcl

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:xbox modding (duhh) and nextel modding
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:25 AM

QUOTE(Lazymofo @ Jan 23 2006, 10:40 PM) View Post

I never took off the solder from the controller ports, I just used a flathead screwdriver and poped it right off because I didn't care.

of all tuts, you should make one.lol, i did exactly as you did. ports came off with ease

#19 XSOLJA

XSOLJA

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:34 AM

I used a 25W for my controller port leds, side vent led mod , and jewel led ring with no probs

#20 impwiz

impwiz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:26 AM

This is what I do, kind of like the flathead screwdriver proposal, just not so destructive. I use the 30w and no deslodering braid/sucker. Just wedge the small screwdrive in the crease where it's solder together on top, gently pry and at the same time put the iron to the solder. When it melt, the housing will seperate, and you just do the same to the otherside.

#21 TIMxIRISH

TIMxIRISH

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE(Xcl @ Jan 22 2006, 07:28 PM) View Post

i was told that a 15 watt would be perfect for this mod. the 15watt couldnt even soak up the solder on the side of the ports. anyone done this mod? if so, what wattage did you use?

unsure.gif You can't melt the solder on the controller port case with a 15? Not trying to bag on you too hard, but if you can't do that, you probably shouldn't be soldering.

Just give it some time, and if it helps you any, grab some desolder braid or a desolder pump. It really isn't as hard as you might think.

Edited by TIMxIRISH, 24 January 2006 - 08:52 AM.

#22 Xcl

Xcl

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:xbox modding (duhh) and nextel modding
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE(TIMxIRISH @ Jan 24 2006, 02:58 AM) View Post

unsure.gif You can't melt the solder on the controller port case with a 15? Not trying to bag on you too hard, but if you can't do that, you probably shouldn't be soldering.

Just give it some time, and if it helps you any, grab some desolder braid or a desolder pump. It really isn't as hard as you might think.

i worded that wrong, i meant that the i couldnt soak up the solder in the braid.

#23 TIMxIRISH

TIMxIRISH

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE(Xcl @ Jan 24 2006, 02:15 PM) View Post

i worded that wrong, i meant that the i couldnt soak up the solder in the braid.

Alright, well if you've got a Radio Shack nearby, pick up a desolder pump. Braid is a little tough to work with in my opinion, and using a pump just seems to work better. Best part is, you won't have to wait for the solder to soak into something; you melt it and suck it up.

If you're going to resume using the braid, make sure the braid is on top of the solder, and the tip is pressed to the braid. You have to apply a little bit of pressure, but don't press too hard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users