444 replies to this topic

#436 ENiGMa69

ENiGMa69

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 12:24 PM

Hi there,
You guys said you wanted ideas to improve Avalaunch, so here's one for you...Here's something you could add...an option to configure each App/Game to the videomode the user selects.
Now I say this as I have a Jap XBox with SmartXX installed, and I have games from all Regions. Now I've left SmartXX set to Jap mode all the time because the XBox is a Jap model & it makes the XBox faster than if it was in PAL mode...correct me if I'm wrong but this is the great 50/60HZ reason ?
Anyway, I?ve found that when running some games in Jap mode they run much faster than their own native Region version, e.g. I have a PAL version of FIFA 2004, but when u leave SmartXX configured in Jap mode instead of changing it to the games PAL mode, boy the game runs quicker and plays better !!
Likewise Indycar Series won't run unless I have changed SmartXX to PAL mode as it's a PAL Mode only game. This is a complete pain in the *rse !! Therefore to get round this, I've had to install UnleashX on the Xbox, and then I run UnleashX WITHIN Avalaunch so I can run Indycar Series without having to change SmartXX's videomode all the time.
You apparently once had the option to change videomode?s, but apparently you removed it for fear of damaging the Eeprom. How about doing something like EvoX & UnleashX whereby you can have the option to "Auto Switch" videomode...but what I'm suggesting is slightly fiddlier for you guys, but I think it would make it very easy for everyone in the long run.
I've noticed that in Avalaunch you can select the "Properties" for an App/Game title and in there it tells you which Region the programme should run. How about letting the Region property there be selectable, so we can change it to PAL/NTSC-M/NTSC-J and therefore let us choose the speed & compatibility of the App/Game we run? On screen you could show the App/Game title with the Region it has currently been set e.g. IndyCar Series (J) or FIFA 2004 (P) or NFS Underground (M). This option to show the videomode at the end of the App/Game title could then be switched On/Off via the SYSTEM UTILS - SETTINGS - HARDWARE INFO section. Just add a VIDEOMODE SELECTOR section in there. That way if people don't like seeing the (P)/(J)/(M) on the end of each title, they can still have it running in which ever videomode they want, but without the additional info showing on the title name.
The other option I thought about is doing exactly the same as UnleashX which generates an "Items.xml" file when it starts up, which contains all the titles it's found and also adds the Region to which the programme is run ? This "Items.xml" file is editable via a PC connection, but if there was a way you could show that database listing of Apps/Games on screen and there let us change the videomode we want to run it in, then that would be just as good ! How about showing it in SYSTEM UTILS - SETTINGS - APPS/GAME DATABASE ? What would be brilliant would be that if Avalaunch on it's initial scan of the preset directories configured in "Avalaunch.xml" had found that a game had been deleted off the Hard Disk, and the game still showed on the "Region Database", then it just removed that App/Game entry from the "Region Database" without the user having to do any maintenance, and therefore reducing the chances of a noobie fowling up his/her Xbox ?

I know this sounds complicated and it may possibly be very complicated for you guys to add, and I know u've been asked before, but it would be a good idea in the long run and make Avalaunch the number one dashboard.
Just out of curiosity how come EvoX & UnleashX can have their videomode "Auto Switch" running without mucking up the Eeprom, but you guys couldn't ? Can't u just BORROW their code and incorporate it into Avalaunch ??? wink.gif

Hope you can help, but if u want to tell me to *uck off if you don't like the idea, then feel free too... biggrin.gif

Thanks

ENiGMa69
cool.gif

#437 jvh106

jvh106

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 10:56 PM

Avalaunch rocks! cool.gif There is only one thing I would like added to the next release. I don't have a monster HD in my xbox sad.gif , so I back up a lot of my games onto DVD-R's, often putting several games on one disc. It would be nice if avalaunch had better media detection, so instead of using menu systems for multi-game discs, I could just copy the games to the dvd-r in folders and avalaunch would create the menu like it does for games on the HD. It actually does this with the discs that I made with menus, and my guess is that the current media detection is just a simple check for default.xbe in the root of the disc. A better detection would be to check subfolders for a default.xbe and if finds them there to generate a menu, and if there are none, then assume that it is audio or movie dvd.

#438 anon123

anon123

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:girls, modding and game hacking, girls, guitar, girls, skateboarding, girls, comp. prog....and girls
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:37 PM

I hope that this is a simple feature to incorporate, but I know it would be very useful.... FTP Resume support (I am not sure if this has been implemented for the FTP server, but I typically use the FTP client of avalaunch because I prefer doing everything from my xbox, so I am referring to resume support on the FTP client). I know that it can be very annoying to send a large file and get caught at 99% for whatever reason, and then I have to restart the whole transfer from scratch.

Also, I know it would be nice to have some sort of a wireless network monitor of some type so I can see how powerful my signal is and maybe my current speed as well (maybe like at the bottom left corner where it lists your ip have something saying "Good: 54 mbps"), like the xbox dash has under network settings.

#439 tayior7

tayior7

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 03:29 PM

i think this would be an easy fix....
sometimes when transferring HUGE queues ( > 100 GB) via the Avalaunch FTP Client, it freezes. im guessing that the queue exceeds the amoutn of memory available, and it just freezes. So maybe if the queue gets too big, write it to the HD, or open the queue like most PC FTP Clients do, on folder at a time.
Thanks

#440 thewickedjester

thewickedjester

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 June 2004 - 12:06 PM

*dvd ripper
*(not sure if this goes with the dashboard or the mod chip but...) support for external hard drives
*bios flashing
*incorperating the boxlinks (or at least the same concept) into avalaunch
*(to go with the above) mouse + keyboard support

#441 burnerO

burnerO

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 06:52 PM

Could we possibly borrow this from UnleashX as I have no intentions of leaving my precious Ava.

* Added: Auto-rename invalid/long filename for both FTP server and file explorer. Off by default.

That'd be quite a timesaver if at all possible.

Much love for you guys. love.gif

#442 cleaver

cleaver

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:46 PM

in the future version of avalaunch I would like:

* the posibility to update progs like: XMP and XMC via avalaunch
* keyboard and mouse support in the ftp and filemanagment
* s.m.a.r.t. function from the harddiscs
* possibility to choose different gamesave servers
* maybe more features to the mp3 player
* HDTV settings
* USB harddrive/CD/DVD-rom support
* not a really new implement, but a good review of how IP telefoni works on the xbox
* DVD/games ripper on the dashboard
* a menu that could show which type of bios/dashboard-version and a flash prog.
let me know if any of these are possible uhh.gif
this is the features I could find for now on the else very good dasboard, simply the best in my opinion... jester.gif

keep up the good work guys... biggrin.gif

xbox v1.0
executer 2
160WD HD 8MB muhaha.gif

#443 Noutaja

Noutaja

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 08 June 2004 - 02:34 AM

Avalaunch does have keyboard support, but not much use for it. Well, maybe others but I don't. Is it bosible add chatting feature in current room, when browsing online games (Xlink)? It seems everyone want to share a few words before playing, after playing or asking host. And ofcourse, support to scandinavic keyboard. biggrin.gif

Thanks

*EDIT* BTW... If next release uses language settings and ini files, rename Soumi.ini to Suomi.ini (If that will not cause too much trouble).

Über thanks!! (never thanked enough)

Edited by Noutaja, 08 June 2004 - 05:40 AM.

#444 GiSWiG

GiSWiG

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 01:55 PM

For the forum: How about adding a pinned topic about the progress you guys have made and make it non-replyable? That way you can list the status/features of the current and next releases, what features are being worked on and their status, what features are not going to be, the best ideas from forum members that might be tried.

Also, how about having a list of workarounds for certain requests. For example, saying that there will be no web browser implemented, but you can give linksboks a try and even add it to the main menu by adding ............... to the menu section.

As for the dash, I'd love to see that new file system (ie. longer filename support) and the defrag that was mentioned so long ago. Also, I know many have asked for better menu editing support. How about a GUI front end running on the PC (or Xbox) that reads the xml file from the drive and generates Combo Boxes, Text Fields, Drop Downs, etc. Heck, it could be a simple ASP or JSP page that can run from any web browser. Maybe even have the ability to do that with all xml and ini files on the xbox. (Although a separate program to do this would be best cause otherwise you would need a web server running on your pc to execute ASP scripts, unless there already exists another way)

Other than that, you guys got the best dash running!
Keep it going!

"Of course I want ice cream. BUT NO SPRINKLES! For every sprinkle that I find.... I shall kill you..."
ph34r.gif

#445 zerowizard

zerowizard

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Interests:Skateboarding, Xbox, and computers.
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 June 2004 - 06:57 PM

ok, i requested this a long time ago and was just wondering if it was overlooked. when the music is playing in the background, instead of being random or whatever, right thumbstick press goes forward, and left thumbstick press goes back. i always have a problem with that, cuz i will be skipping thru songs, and then i will accidently hit the thumbstick again and miss the song i want. this would solve my problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users