Utsi

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:47 AM

I have this problem that for some reason I can't join a friend's xbox when he's hosting and he can't join mine when I'm hosting. The funny thing is that others can join mine and/or his games. And what's even stranger is that my friend used to be able to join my games before he got a router and had two different ip addresses, one for the pc and one for the xbox. Of course he had to move away from this solution as it caused him to be thrown out all the time.

I'm on a LAN behind a NAT, and I've done the necessary port forwarding (30000 on router) and allowed port 3074 full access(windows firewall). Windows XP + SP2. Should be pretty standard, both units are assigned their own local ip addresses. My friend's setup is the same as mine.

The game we are trying to play is "far cry instincts", and as far as I know, we are using the same version.

When I'm hosting and have created a private arena(or the other way around), he can see me on his pc and even enter my arena, but on the xbox in link mode, no hosts are detected. And when I'm hosting from the root of "far cry instincts", he can't see me at all. Others obviously can.

My failed attempts:
-Host from xbox(xbmc) gui or pc gui, didn't make any difference.
-Host on his or mine xbox, with or without private areas.
-Register a new xlink account without my friend on the contact list (in case some contact list issues).

It would be cool to be able to play against him without needing a 3rd person to host.

Is this a user error/configuration problem or could it be a bug? I think this is a problem that could affect many others as well. Please help!

#2 c-2

c-2

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:46 PM

are u both using port forwarding on your router ? .. are you on the same ISP ?

#3 Utsi

Utsi

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE(c-2 @ Jan 24 2006, 04:53 PM) View Post

are u both using port forwarding on your router ? .. are you on the same ISP ?

No, different routers and different ISPs. But he lives nearby (ping = 26ms).

I've experienced the same problem with other hosts, when I try to join their arenas, their xbox'es are "invisible" to my xbox. This could of course be caused by someone opening a private arena and not creating the game, but that is at least not the case when I'm hosting.

Maybe I should report this as a possible bug?

#4 c-2

c-2

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:49 PM

are u both using port forwarding on your routers ? .. u didn't answer that .. try forwarding and make sure its forwarded right .. tell your friend the same , also close any and all software firewalls u may have ..

its not a bug in kai as myself and alot of my friends play far cry and we've never had a problem ..

#5 Utsi

Utsi

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:11 AM

Yes, we are both using port forwarding on our routers, and I think it's done in a proper manner as we're both able to host and join. The only problem is that we can't join the other one's games. Others can. We are both seing the same hosts on the screen when others are hosting, and can both join their games.

One should think that this should be a binary thing, either it works or it doesn't. That's why I suspect a bug. If not a bug, it could be a router issue. But then again, the issue would be with both routers and that's not very likely?

We tried Halo 2 and got the same problem there as well, that should rule out all xbox software suspicions.

All firewalls, anti-virus and popup-blockers were down on both systems.

Both you and your friends use port forwarding on your routers?

Will I recognize you as "c-2" on far cry or do you use a different name? :-)

#6 LostIt

LostIt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:04 AM

c-2
I'm having this same problem but my friend and I do share the same ISP and both of us use routers. I did find that he could connect to me (over the net, tested with an ftp server) if he switched to a dynamic ip (dhcp assigned, I'm static) but he can't recieve incoming connections when he's in that mode so kai is out at that point. If I switch to dynamic instead of static i can connect to him (when he's static.) But like I said that would be fine if Kai didn't require an incoming port but it does. Any ideas? We've tried different routers, no routers (on either/both sides)

#7 kotix

kotix

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:19 AM

Hi guys, i'm experiencing the same problem and i found this:
http://texas.teamxli...c4494ef66e3ab14

I don't know if my isp is blocking my connection but i don't think so.

#8 Utsi

Utsi

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:29 PM

In case someon reads this, updating my router's firmware resolved the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users