FAQ: Xbox 360 Error Codes Explained

• Please log in to reply
1038 replies to this topic

#61 vERdugox

vERdugox

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:First Person Shooter<br />Racing<br />Role Playing Game<br />Music - A LOT<br />SCENE - Xbox Mod
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:31 AM

QUOTE(dryphter @ Jun 13 2006, 12:02 AM) View Post

This is getting really frustrated..First off I dont want to pay the $130 for repairs that i didnt do..I was getting the error code 0102 and the thing wouldnt boot up at all, I decided to open it...just out of curiosity to see what was inside, I remove everything and inside seems so spacious...so I know overheating wasnt a problem, plugged it in and guess what...It WORKS...alay lu ya!!!! it turned on, I put Fight Night in, tested out for one round and was sure it was working again, Put the thing back together and POOF another error code, but this one is 0021(some guy had same problem but said it was AV cable, I hardly doubt that..Now the Fight Night I had in the tray would not pop out and that dam 0021 comes up 2 seconds after I boot up. Open it up again and now it remains with the code 0021 error and it seems more frustrating than the 0102 error. AWWWWW somebody help me, help me please! Since I opened it would M$ still repair it for $130 or does anyone know what this could be, any help would be appreciated. thanks

should not have open it... now it seems your a little screwed... MS would have repaired it for you for free, basicly i (in your feet) would pay the repair, or try getting another 360 "if you actually find one for an amount around those 130$" and then wait so eventually you can may be later repair it for less money (when you find some one who can repair it) then probably sell it and get your money back... but... its still very complicated...

#62 QporscheQ

QporscheQ

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:09 AM

I just wanted to add a quick bit of info. Iím getting "0102" also sad.gif

However, I will say that I had zero problems with my 'Box UNTIL I plugged my iPod into it for the first time. I had my 360 for about two months when yesterday I was curious how well the iPod worked (I had the Media Connect thing streaming my MP3s so there was no need for the iPod). So I plugged it in, said "yup, it works" when I disconnected it, it immediately locked up the iPod and ever since then the 360 gives the 0102 error. I think somebody in a previous post dismissed a portable music player as causing his problem? May be there is something there after all?

Thanks for the help regardless, I've learned a bunch from this thread and I guess I'm calling MS tomorrow sad.gif

#63 neoed30

neoed30

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 14 June 2006 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE(OpenXbox @ Jun 3 2006, 06:13 PM) View Post

I get 0110 what the hell is that?

I got the same code. 0110. Sometimes it'll come on and freeze. Sometimes it won't even boot up. It will just flash 3 red lights of death at me. Today I tried to play it and at first it would not boot at all. Then all of sudden it booted up and let me play Fight Night Round 3 for about an hour. I ended up having to shut it off like you would normally do. So I could go to the bank. Wanted to play it again about 2 hours ago and it just keeps on flashing, won't even boot up. I took it apart and re-did the heatsinks about a month ago but that only helped keep it going for another week with no problems then back to freezing and flashing again. I took it apart because my warranty expired April 29th which was 2 weeks before it started freezing up. When I have it apart the fans will sound differently when it decides to boot up than the way they do when it will just flash the lights. Almost seems like there is a possible problem with the fan speed sensor or some type of voltage problem on the board. Heck, I don't know. I just wish I could get it working the way it did when I first got it from Mountain Dew. Also, if you take the plastic vent out from in between the heatsinks and the fans then the system will heat up and the fan speed increases and if you leave it off then the system will shutdown and flash 2 red lights showing that it overheated. Now I did this once when it was flashing the 3 red lights at me and would not boot after being shutoff for a couple of days and when the fan speed increased and the 360 heated up some I replaced the plastic vent and shutoff the system myself. I then restarted it and it booted up and allowed me to play a game for about 15 minutes before it froze again. Maybe a solder problem?

Edited by neoed30, 14 June 2006 - 09:04 AM.

#64 OpenXbox

OpenXbox

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:50 PM

everything that you stated is exactly what happened to mine and I also have a mountain dew box

#65 robivy64

robivy64

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:07 PM

I poured Colt 45 on my xbox and now it gives me a "C 45" error.

#66 EATibConsole

EATibConsole

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:09 PM

Thanks for the great post, it's helped immensly. I'm encountering X360 failure on a massive scale on X360 retails, X360 Dev kits and X360 Debug kits, (right about a 15% failure rate). Most of the time this is the 3 red lights issue, and I've had no luck up until now diagnosing the problems. Firstly, there are a number of red light codes that have not been addressed in the above document, which I'll be mentioning later in the week.

Secondly, I have two question for the conversation. Does anyone know quick work arounds for fixing any of the 3 red light errors? Typically I reset the console tens and sometimes hundreds of times until it actually boots, then I'll run a flash disk to wipe the hard drive and system software. This helps sporatically. And is there any word on if MSs statement regarding the protective foil intentionally being left as a heat conductive is accurate?

#67 shpydar

shpydar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:44 AM

have a 0102 here, a little more info on mine -- my 360 worked fine for the first month or two, no problems at all. then at some point after getting Oblivion and playing for a few dozen hours, the 360 would occasionally have disc read errors -- sometimes reading the disc as dirty, sometimes mistakening it for a DVD (the whole concept of getting the "please put this disc in an Xbox360" error message while the disc is actually in the 360 would be funny otherwise mad.gif ). Usually after a reboot or two, all would be well. This continued for a while, but not that often. No other problems with the 360 during that time. Now in the past week or two, the 360 has had more and more of those same "disc-read" errors, until it would happen almost every time i booted up a disc (specific discs include Hitman, PDZ, Quake4 and a couple OXM demo discs). Today, after expecting it any day now, i got the three-red ring. I was able to boot up Hitman again later and play for a few before freezing. Now the system freezes either right before or during the 360 logo intro screen -- but curiously the red lights have not re-appeared since the logo freezes started.

just from a quick observation of how my 360 behaved, it seemed that there was some relation to the disc drive -- i had also noticed the drive makes a very small brief spin-noise (not unlike that old-school noise of a 3.5" drive looking for a disc, but much shorter in duration). I also noted that aside from the aforementioned disc problems, the 360 showed no other signs of trouble (live arcade, music, messaging, etc all have worked fine).

just wanted to throw a little more data out there...

#68 angadsingh

angadsingh

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 05:44 AM

My xbox 360 has 0102 problem and it boots 1 in 20 times .. for 20 mins...
I was wondering if my xbox 360 can be repaired on own or only MS would be able to help ..
Currently im in India and there is no support for xbox 360 here yet..

There is no choice left except to do it on my own .. PLease help me on this guys ..

What possibilities can it be .. i KNow its a Gpu thing but what can be damaged.??!!

#69 talker1083

talker1083

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 11:19 PM

I suddenly have this error

I did the test and it looks like the code is 0003 which isn't listed anywhere as far as i can see

it starts like this.. (top right not lit, rest flashing slowly)

/
\ /

then i do white button and eject it goes to

/ \
\ / flashing fast

press eject two more times while holding white, it keeps on

/ \
\ / both times (so first three codes are 000

Then on the fourth press of eject it goes to

/ \
/ (bottom left not lit)

is this 0003 or am i reading it wrong?

Edited by talker1083, 15 June 2006 - 11:21 PM.

#70 robivy64

robivy64

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:09 AM

Ive actually had a 360 give that error. Not sure what it is though. I got rid of it and got another one.

-R

#71 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:18 PM

Regardless of your error there really isn't much you can do to fix it yourself.

99% of the time you should just send it back to MS or the store you got it from and get a new one.

Basically I hoped to make this something where if you get an error you could easily determine if it was based on the HDD, PSU, or AV adapter... those items can all be easily "serviced" buy you and if nothing else you'll be more informed when you Call Up MS to get an RMA. Some of those who have modified their console might also be interested in DVD drive specific errors and potentially fix those themselves.

AT this point we don't know enough about the console to really have any advice on how to fix it. sad.gif

I'm sure we'll know more as time goes on but right now.. just send it back

@talker1083
yeah it sounds like an 0003, since 0002 is a PSU error you might want to take a look at the light on your PSU... if it's Green it should be good, if it's RED your PSU is probably the problem (Orange means stand by)

@EATibConsole
That protective foil on the thermal compound is completely normal and actually IMPROVES the thermal conductivity of that particular compound, they use it for ease of manufacturing. Regardless it sucks compared to a GOOD thermal compound and you can dramatically improve the thermal conductivity if you were to clean the factory stuff off of both chips and replace it with Arctic Silver 5 or some other brand name compound.

The factory stuff SHOULD be good enough, though I suppose if your console lives in a hot environment and is more susceptible to heat then other consoles it might help (this goes for any electronic device that has heat syncs though). Even still the foil is not a mistake... it's completely normal and intentional.

Edited by twistedsymphony, 16 June 2006 - 03:28 PM.

#72 Face

Face

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:02 PM

Had no problems up until the Spring Dashboard Update.

Every since then I've been getting the transparent checker board freezes during boot up, random freezes during Live Arcade games, booting with no video/audio output, and finally the 3 red lights.

Unfortunately these seem to be happening more frequently as time goes by.

If and when I do get the dreaded three red lights, I get error code 0102.

I may have to boot 10 - 20 times to get the 360 booting properly to the dash.

I suspect it may either be a bug in the dashboard software, or upon doing the dashboard update (flashing bios and writing to ram where dashboard is stored) some component has been stressed and subsequently damaged, hence an unknown error.

I'm contacting M$ on Monday, will try and get some more info from them.

Edited by Face, 18 June 2006 - 08:04 PM.

#73 Team Modfreakz

Team Modfreakz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:16 PM

I have a new error code!!

If the EEPROM of the x360 HD is missing, faulty, defective or desoldered the XBOX360 gives an error.
http://www.freepler..../hdd_eeprom.jpg

original Hitachi HDD = E68 and Section 4 is flashing red // code 1010

60GB Hitachi HDD = Black screen and Section 4 is flashing red // code 1010

http://www.freepler....light_error.jpg
http://www.freepler....0/e68_small.jpg

#74 Xfab29

Xfab29

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:42 AM

i'm so angry grr.gif

i succeed in correcting my 2 red lights (overheating), when getting of the foil and changing thermal paste.
All be ok but today I've got 3 red light of death, with 0102 error no video on screen.
The GPU radiator is so damn hot!
When i get the radiator of, i get 2 red light error (overheating)

wtf could this error be?

#75 Xfab29

Xfab29

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:56 AM

problem is repaired for the moment

information here http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=522125