#121 MichaelNet

MichaelNet

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:54 PM

Very interesting video, it's awesome ! smile.gif
I also have an error 0102 with my 360, I bought it 14 days ago, I got this error for the 1st time after rebooting, I was playing DoA 4 on the Live -> sometimes, after deconnecting AV & power cables for the night, when I reconnect the console, it starts with freezes at the interface sequence boot, then in rebooting it lets a totally black screen with error 0102 -> 3 LED giving 4, 1, 4, 2 signal in pressing the white button + eject button 4 times. Sometimes the console reworks normally after putting it in "stand" position & it can run 4 or even more hours without probs.
I know the error 0102 's not well known, but are there more info about this error ?

Edited by MichaelNet, 22 July 2006 - 10:57 PM.

#122 SoulFlow

SoulFlow

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 July 2006 - 07:57 PM

Just wanted to drop by and say thank you for the video post. I have/had an xbox with the 0102 error code and the heat gun trick really works. I just performed this method about 2 hours ago and have had success. 20 reboots and all is well. So, give this a try if your are out of warranty and have nothing to lose! Good luck..

Edited by SoulFlow, 23 July 2006 - 07:58 PM.

#123 illidur

illidur

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:11 AM

lots of info since i have been here last, and i myself have found the problem with mine. after giving my box to my friend to open, he said he found a huge black streak across my graphics chip. so maybe 0102 could be ram/gpu because that seems to be the problem. now i am just wondering if its possible to replace a graphics chip somehow ? i highly doubt my problem was from overheating, instead i think it was a surge or somthing of the like.

oh, and whats a hot air gun supposed to do to the motherboard ? thanks!

#124 SoulFlow

SoulFlow

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:50 AM

From what I understand, it is supposed to re-seat some cold solder joints that cannot be seen by the naked eye. I was jamming on mine for over 5 hours today, rebooting once in a while just to test, without a problem.

#125 Mightyni

Mightyni

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE(Darkshot1 @ Apr 7 2006, 07:54 AM) View Post

I'm getting the 3 red lights, and the error code is 0102, and I have no idea what's wrong. It gave me this error before, and would not turn on, but somehow fixed itself (only thing i did was plug in my mp3 player to it, but thats most likely unrelated.)

Now its doing it again and its not turning on at all. I guess i got lucky last time. It hasn't even been used for about 4 hours, and it wasn't any rigorous playing, so its not overheating. I just decided to turn it on and it did this. It also froze up earlier during Perfect Dark, might be related.

It says on this thread that 0102 is an unknown error... anyone know?

I had a same problem, I take my 360 to pieces, but no result. But one thing helped me. I have opened my 360 and removed a plastic heat-conducting path, then I turn on 360 and wait 2-3 minutes until the graphic card has strongly heated up and turn off 360. When I has again turn on 360 all worked perfectly. I think that 0102 error is a problem somehow сonnected with a videocard and overheating is the thing that helps to solve a problem. I hope this method will help all with a problem 0102 And as soon as there will be PS3 I shall buy it and forget about all problems.

#126 jasrCSU

jasrCSU

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:09 AM

Hey everyone,

As I posted earlier I was getting the unknown 0021 and just randomly diecided to turn it on the other day. Well it cut on, no sound but the xbox logo finally came on. It was really sluggish and after it finished it gave me the service screen. So now I have an error E64. I then put the harddrive back in and its stuck back on the 0021.

Any info on these yet?

Thanks,
James

#127 pasqually@rock.com

pasqually@rock.com

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:06 AM

I had recently took my 360 apart to find out what drive I had. Upon putting it back together I received error code 0011 (2 lights lit 1 and 3), over heating problem. As it turns out the tutorial I used to take it apart show to remove all the screws (including the heatsink screws) took it back apart and made sure the heatsink scrwes were really tight and now it works fine. I hope this helps out a few of you.

PS I want to thank everyone of you, who contribute in anyway, wether coding, reversing, or posting, and especially to XBOX-SCENE. be cool and happy hacking, Pasqually.

#128 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,465 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:08 PM

updated the top post with suggested remedies for the 0102 error code
Thanks to Team Modfreakz for the Re-heating video and BenS for the thermal compound replacment tutorial beerchug.gif

#129 G0t M4xx 21

G0t M4xx 21

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 28 July 2006 - 09:41 PM

If you shorted out the 5V on the 360 for some reason, and now your 360 has the error 0001 or 0002 (psu error), and using a different brick does not fix it, i have a *now confirmed working* fix:

IPB Image

The two MOSFETs circled in blue must be replaced.

The part number is NTD60N02RG:

http://www.onsemi.co...do?id=NTD60N02R

I posted the fix a while ago, but it was untested, but Smartmod has repaired his motherboard by replacing the FETs, so the repair is now confirmed working.

#130 Gerjan

Gerjan

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:53 AM

Any way to fix the "open tray" problem?

When a original xbox360 game or xbox game is in the console the drive will not start spinning is it did earlier.

It seems the spinning is way to slow to recognize a game disk (dvd-video does work = slower read speed).

And after a while the xb360 says: "Open tray" as if there wasn't a disk inside.

/edit it's a sammy drive and mfr is 30-5-2006

Edited by Gerjan, 29 July 2006 - 11:06 AM.

#131 Gerjan

Gerjan

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 29 July 2006 - 05:41 PM

NVM, will order a replacement laser @ divineo

#132 Black_Like_a_Cat

Black_Like_a_Cat

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:15 AM

I got an xbox offa ebay the other day that had the 3 ROL error code 0020 which, from reading on this site, points to the GPU. I just want to confirm that the "heat gun" fix works. I went out to Pep Boys and got a heat gun for like $20 bucks... it came with an attatchment nozzle to reduce the tip size, so I used that. I dissassembled the xbox down to the main board and removed the heat sink for the gpu (I left the cpu heat sink on because I didn't want to chance burning two chips). I covered anything other than the GPU in foil for heat shiielding (in retrospect, it really didn't matter everything got hot anyway). I turned on the heat gun to its lowest stting, which the package claimed to be 420 degrees F. Solder melts at about 360 degrees so you wanna get a gun that's as close to that as possible, any more could damage the chip. I pointed the gun at the chip and circled the outside, in attempt to heat the solder and not the silicon for about a minute... minute and a half. Let it cool down (be careful not to move the chip when it's hot). Let the chip cool for like 15-20 min and it works like a charm.

I was like most people that believed the media hype that 360's were burning holes through chips. Then I thought to myself... wouldn't we have seen MS pass the buck on to the chip manufacturers if that was so? Instead maybe one of the plants rushed the board through the reflow oven and they didn't solder right. I would bet that the prob. on most of these returns.

JE

#133 Tfizzle

Tfizzle

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:39 AM

here is another confirmed report of the heat gun trick working.

had error code 0102. the xbox would not boot up until about the 50 try. after i did the heat gun to the gpu, ram, and southbridge, the 360 turned on first try.

i set up a GRAW server to run all night and when i awoke in the morning, the 360 was stilling running strong. havent had it freeze to this day.

#134 Farbrorn

Farbrorn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:27 AM

Seems most of those of us that have gotten the 0102-error: "General hardware failure" can fix it quite quickly and easily with that hot air rework. That procedure saved my 360. Mine started behaving with sudden lockups, and overheating. Seemed strange to me that the console started overheating after a couple of months, I started with replacing the thermal paste, and I thought I was in the clear until it needed additional cooling directly on the GPU to keep it from overheating after 2 minutes of gaming. After a couple of days it stopped booting up, and gave me the 0102 code. Then I tried the hot air, and damn, it worked like a charm right away. No overheating, no lockups - just behaves as it should. I feel sorry for those you cannot fix these things themselvs, because i'm sure "ordinary" people will have this problem more and more because so many that I have read about have this exact problem. And I think that a 360 that have been on for like 10-15 hours of nonstop play gets pretty heated. And if you move it around right away, without allowing it to cool properly it could create problems with the soldering. Also, I guess when all these 360s get a year or two old, with constantly getting very warm and cooling down - there will be problems that can only be fixed with this hot air procedure. And as everyone knows, the GPU gets VERY hot. Not strange that it need overhaul when it's getting so unevenly heated.

Best thing would be for MS to give a rebate for everyone encountering this 0102-problem for having it fixed by professionals.

#135 HalfbakedLion

HalfbakedLion

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 06:36 PM

how do you use the heat gun and where

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users