VOlition

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:10 AM

Is tony hawk american wasteland a good game? Gamespot gave it a bad review and IGN gave it a so-so review but I would like to see your opinion. I need a game to last me a few months, want good online and long lasting game. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I tried Tony Hawk 2 for playstation one and I really liked the game.

#2 darksteppin

darksteppin

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:22 AM

Its a good game if you didn't have it on an old platform. The graffics look better but not next-gen at all. Overall if you like the tony hawk games and you didn't have this one before then I would get it.

#3 notsodiseased

notsodiseased

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:27 AM

Yea if your remotely familiar with TonyHawk and you liked it then youll love Wasteland. Just more of the same. Once you get good at mastering the manuals/balancing its real easy.

#4 VOlition

VOlition

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:32 AM

because I can get one for 44.95 american dollars! So if it's good, I think its worth it.

#5 Killa420

Killa420

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 03:33 AM

Well i was like you. I havent played a tony hawk since 1 and 2. Never tried the underground tony hawks so when I got this one. I didnt really care for it that much. I dont care for running around and doing some of the missions they have. I say rent it and try it out. I rented it and played it for like 3 days before getting bored with it.

#6 VOlition

VOlition

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 04:38 AM

Thankyou, I will stick with your opinion. Yeah, I don't think I'll buy it.

#7 tonloc79

tonloc79

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:14 AM

I wouldnt pay $60 + tax for it but i was able to get it off ebay shipped for $40 BNIB and sealed so why not!

#8 jbp20717

jbp20717

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Dreamcast, Mario Kart 64, Newcastle United, Monty Python, genocide, necrophilia and more!
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:09 PM

I've just traded Hot Shots Golf (PSP) and Super Monkey Ball (GC) for this and waiting for it to arrive in the post. I really enjoyed the series up to Pro Skater 3, then the whole having to go up to people and talk to them to get objectives thing put me off the series a bit...just hope this recaptures the older games a bit.

#9 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE(VOlition @ Jan 28 2006, 10:45 PM) View Post

Thankyou, I will stick with your opinion. Yeah, I don't think I'll buy it.

you have been told by all the people before its a great game and youll love it, and your taking killa's advice? instead of you sticking with someone elses opinion, how about you pony up the extra $7 and rent the game and stick with YOUR opinion. havent been into the tony hawk series since part 2, but everything i heard from people who like the series (like you) have said its a skaters wet dream. i say buy it or rent it especially if you can get it at a discounted price like you are.

#10 deftonesmx17

deftonesmx17

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:none

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:44 PM

All I will say is, if you are going to buy it, don't waste the extra $10-15 on the 360 version. wink.gif

#11 BRD

BRD

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:BMX, Riding Unicycles, Video Games

Posted 06 February 2006 - 05:39 PM

I've had the game since Christmas and just started playing it last night. I played all the way through Classic mode which is basically a mix of 6 levels from Tony Hawk 1 and other games from the series. Haven't really been doing story mode much yet.

I'm very disappointed with the BMX part of the game. Basically, there's one bike, and you can't customize it at all. The controls are very confusing. Rick Thorne tells you how to do stuff but it's all a bitch to memorize and is way different from skateboarding's controls.

As far as music in the game goes, I don't really like any of it except for about 3 or 4 tracks, but that's no big deal, you can listen to whatever you want if you have the hard drive or an MP3 player. It's also my opinion; a lot of people like many of those bands.

There's also some other really cool stuff you can do which I haven't even experimented with yet, like creating your own logos and graffiti.

Graphics suck for XBox 360, but the game is still enjoyable. I would recommend getting the 360 version since it gives you points for the Achievements.

Tony Hawk 2(X) is still my favorite of the series, and I've never really played 4, or the Undergrounds. But American Wasteland is still lots of fun. If you were interested in the BMX option, which was the main reason I got the game, well, it sucks. Stick with Mat Hoffman 2.

Online: Sorry, I'm not sure, as I don't have a Gold account.

Something that will last a few months: I can't be too sure, as I haven't completed the game yet. I CAN tell you that Classic Mode can be done in very quickly (probably 2 hours if you've been playing the other games and don't have to get used to the controls again).

I hope this helped.

#12 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,465 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:54 PM

I really enjoyed this Game, I've been a fan of the series since THPS2 came out on the PSX. I was really disappointed with both of the THUG games (particularly THUG2, I felt that was the low point in the series). THAW really brought me back into it though.

THPS4 was probably my favorite of the series and this game reminded me a lot of THPS2 and THPS4 wrapped into one.

I'm not really big on the customization things like hair and logos etc I only did those when I had to for the story so I can't really comment except that there are a LOT of options, Though I was able to make a custom character that looked EXACTLY like me for the classic skate mode. It's funny just about everyone of my friend who's seen me play has said "man who's that skater you're using they look exactly like you!".

Online is fun, it's pretty much the old multiplayer mode... through Xbox Live, so nothing really new but it is the first time a Tony Hawk game has been on Xbox Live (took 'em long enough).

The Classic mode is good if you like the classic style of "collect skate" "collect combo" "find the secret tape" etc. My complaints are that the classic mode was too short and that it was made up entirely of levels from other games (I suppose that does make it truly "Classic"). I was also a bit POed that the PS2 version received a few extra levels of classic mode.

The graphics aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be. The textures are fantastic, and there are no jaggies in sight making the visuals very crisp and clear, especially in HD. The shadows from the characters are also fantastic. There are some motion blur effects as well as reflection effects (in wet ground/water) that definitely arn't implemented in the last gen versions and it's impossible to notice these things just looking at screen-shots because seeing it in motion is what makes them good. I have a friend with the Xbox 1 version and we did a side by side comparison on my Projector... the difference is night and day between the two. you tend to notice a lot more things when it's plastered against your wall in motion as opposed to a crappy 3" screenshot online.

Really the only downside to the graphics is the low poly count (don't think they upped it from the last gen versions). The 360 version is easily the BEST LOOKING game in the series to date, sure it doesn't stack up against some other 360 games but the Tony Hawk series has never been known to have the best graphics. It's the game play that matters and if there's one aspect where this game shines it's gameplay. You also have to take into account that the levels are ENORMOUS and aside from the initial load before the game starts there is no loading throughout the entire game.

If I were to score this game I'd give it a 7 out of 10... it's certainly not the best game on the console but it is one of the better Tony Hawk games, it plays very well, it's fun, it will last you a while. If you like the series you probably wont be disappointed but I don't think it will be recruiting any new fans.

It held my attention to play through and 100% the game gaps and all...

EDIT:
<shameless plug>It's up for trade if anyone is interested</shameless plug>

Edited by twistedsymphony, 06 February 2006 - 07:02 PM.

#13 BRD

BRD

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:BMX, Riding Unicycles, Video Games

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:40 AM

Well after being sick and not going to work today, I played again. Today, I played story mode. I was so addicted! I have about 2/3 of the missions done, and I am just about to unlock the second to last area of the game. I probably clocked about 5 hours in story mode today (don't worry, I don't plan on playing video games for hours a day when I get well). It is a great game! It seems short, however, in order to get 100%, you have to find all of the gaps in the game. That's gonna take a while. The Create A Graphic is kinda dumb, you can only use pre-made shapes, and it's one shape per layer, which basically means 10 shapes.

I recommend it. I mean, what else is there to get, another crappy First Person Shooter?

Edited by BRD, 07 February 2006 - 03:43 AM.

#14 m_hael

m_hael

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:15 AM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Feb 6 2006, 10:01 AM) View Post

The graphics aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be. The textures are fantastic, and there are no jaggies in sight making the visuals very crisp and clear, especially in HD. The shadows from the characters are also fantastic. There are some motion blur effects as well as reflection effects (in wet ground/water) that definitely arn't implemented in the last gen versions and it's impossible to notice these things just looking at screen-shots because seeing it in motion is what makes them good. I have a friend with the Xbox 1 version and we did a side by side comparison on my Projector... the difference is night and day between the two. you tend to notice a lot more things when it's plastered against your wall in motion as opposed to a crappy 3" screenshot online.

Really the only downside to the graphics is the low poly count (don't think they upped it from the last gen versions). The 360 version is easily the BEST LOOKING game in the series to date, sure it doesn't stack up against some other 360 games but the Tony Hawk series has never been known to have the best graphics. It's the game play that matters and if there's one aspect where this game shines it's gameplay. You also have to take into account that the levels are ENORMOUS and aside from the initial load before the game starts there is no loading throughout the entire game.

nice to see some people appreciate our efforts.

#15 VOlition

VOlition

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:20 AM

Thankyou for the replies guys, I really appreciate it however I made my decision and purchased the need for speed most wanted on the account I liked the demo and also the fact I got it for 47dollars us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users