#1 paint_man_2005

paint_man_2005

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:02 AM

i bought a new maxtor hdd for my xbox. i was wondering if the ultra ata cable that came with it would be faster or better in some way.

#2 postal worker

postal worker

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:14 AM

i am not shure but umm...i don't think the cable you get when you buy new hdds are the length needed for the xbox like the cable isn't long enough or the female plugs aren't spaced close enough, but you can buy some from llama.com i think they are suppose to help speed up load times by maybe 10% i think.

#3 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:13 AM

You can use an IDE cable 22" or longer to replace the stock one and it'll increase your seek times ever so slightly (for games & apps loaded on your hdd).
The stock xbox IDE cable is only capable of up to 33Mhz transfer speed (ATA33) while the upgraded cables can reach up to 166Mhz.

Unfortunately, there's a bottleneck we can't control. The IDE controllers on the xbox motherboard can only support up to 100Mhz.

#4 xboxuser5

xboxuser5

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:59 PM

as alex explained it only makes maybe 1-2 second difference on certian loading's

#5 seriouslysilly

seriouslysilly

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE(postal worker @ Jan 29 2006, 02:21 AM) View Post

i am not shure but umm...i don't think the cable you get when you buy new hdds are the length needed for the xbox like the cable isn't long enough or the female plugs aren't spaced close enough, but you can buy some from llama.com i think they are suppose to help speed up load times by maybe 10% i think.

in the past, i've used the IDE cables that have come with the new HDs. You just have to play with it (folding, etc) to make it fit and connect to each other.
I had installed one from a seagate without any probs. I tried to do it again on another with a maxtor and for some reason the cable with it didn't work. I just put the stock one back on for that one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users