6 replies to this topic

#1 land_down_under

land_down_under

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:32 AM

I currently have a 200GB hdd running xbmc as default on my chipped xbox.

I would like to take out this large HDD to put in a home built NAS. What would be the minimum size required for a HDD replacement (all music, videos etc will be stored on NAS) and how would I go about doing it - would I just copy over all the xbmc files to the new HDD ? NOt sure of the process involved as my initial xbox was chipped for me.

Cheers

#2 land_down_under

land_down_under

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:35 AM

I currently have a 200GB hdd running xbmc as default on my chipped xbox.

I would like to take out this large HDD to put in a home built NAS. What would be the minimum size required for a HDD replacement (all music, videos etc will be stored on NAS) and how would I go about doing it - would I just copy over all the xbmc files to the new HDD ? NOt sure of the process involved as my initial xbox was chipped for me.

Cheers

#3 slumberpod77

slumberpod77

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Interests:music, music, music, computers, audio engineering, gaming, code monkeying, music again
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:49 AM

it appears you don't know anything about this sort of thing, so let's cover this in bullet points for easy reading:

-this is the wrong forum for this issue

-we do not like it when you double post

-an unmodified Xbox comes with an 8 or 10 GB harddisk, which is more than enough room for simply running XBMC, which requires probably 200 MB of system space maximum.

-the process of preparing the new harddrive and swapping the drives is probably not for you at your current level of knowledge, so it is probably best to have someone do it for you. if you still wish to do it yourself, you will need to be good at reading and following directions (a skill in short supply), have access to a broadband connection, have a CD burner, a computer you can reconfigure, free time, and patience.

-the person who supplied your XBox may be able to supply you with an original XBox drive for either free or very cheap. i am a local mod installer here and as a result of my "business" i have ended up with like 8 extra harddisks sitting in a box. you can't really do a whole lot with 8 GB, so the drives are next to useless for most people. if you cannot locate one elsewhere, you should try looking for someone from your part of the world on these forums, as they may have a drive for you. you simply need an unlocked stock harddrive from an Xbox.

are you in Australia?

#4 land_down_under

land_down_under

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:47 PM

Rather to the point arent you !!

1. As my issue is for xbmc I thought this was the correct forum - I stand corrected - thankyou for your insight.
2. The double post was clearly an accident - my apologies - or perhaps I thought if you read it twice I may get a helpful answer.....perhaps not.
3. I am aware that a standard xbox comes with an 8gb HDD - I wasnt aware of the minimum specs for xbmc however - thankyou for clearing this up for me.
4. Happy to do some reading - I take it from your post that I can just follow a new install procedure - I was hoping that I could simply copy the files over - obviously not !!
5. Your last ten words in the last paragraph were helpful - thankyou again for your insight !!

#5 S1ack

S1ack

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:25 PM

Why?

Why move the disk at all, just leave it. Drives are cheap, buy new ones for the NAS. You are just making work for yourself.

#6 land_down_under

land_down_under

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:57 PM

....guess I thought I would be wasting most of the hard drive space as everything will be on the NAS (not much of a gamer)

#7 slumberpod77

slumberpod77

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Interests:music, music, music, computers, audio engineering, gaming, code monkeying, music again
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:37 PM

i suppose in this particular case the benefits of going to NAS are only realized if the resources you will place on the NAS are to be used by other devices in your house and not just the Xbox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users