• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NelDog

NelDog

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:39 AM

Alright, I have a softmodded 1.6 xbox with a 120GB WD Hard Drive. It's been working fine until today. I have the official A/V Pack from MS and have the RCA plugs connected to my TV and the Optical to my Audigy 2 ZS Platinum. The Problem I have is that when I first turn it on, I hear the XboX startup sound no problem via my Optical connection connected to my Logitec Z5300 Speakers., I go and use the Xbox Media Centre and can play web music/trailers no problem either. But when I play XboX games, wether they're on my HDD or from the DVD-Rom, the sound comes out fine on my TV but nothing comes out through my Optical. I checked the cables and they're good, there's the red light coming out no problem. Any ideas? I'm going to re-do my HDD (format C and E) and then try re-installing the EvoX dash. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

#2 xboxgamer733

xboxgamer733

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:43 AM

Have you enabled Dolby Digital sound output in the MS dashboard?

#3 NelDog

NelDog

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:17 AM

Yup, when I'm in the MS Dashboard I can hear the sound coming through just fine, but when the game starts I can hear almost like a "click" coming out of my speakers and then nothing comes through at all. I even re-did the whole HDD to just have the MS Dashboard and still nothing.

#4 NelDog

NelDog

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE(NelDog @ Feb 2 2006, 01:24 AM) View Post

Yup, when I'm in the MS Dashboard I can hear the sound coming through just fine, but when the game starts I can hear almost like a "click" coming out of my speakers and then nothing comes through at all. I even re-did the whole HDD to just have the MS Dashboard and still nothing.

Ok, this makes no sense. I went back to the MS Dash and disabled both Dolby Digital and DTS, the sound came back. So I turned on DTS, sound still working. When I turned on Dolby Digital, sound stops working all together via Optical Out. Does this mean my XboX is a bit screwed, A/V pack maybe, or is it supposed to be that way? Thanks.

#5 NelDog

NelDog

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:00 PM

I was just wondering if someone has had this same problem: Go into MS Dash, turn on Dolby Surround, DTS and Dolby Digital and see if your optical output still works. I'm putting the Optical out through my Audigy 2 ZS Platinum if that helps. Thanks.

#6 gadnium

gadnium

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:16 PM

No DD or DTS decoder...

"4.0 Great for PC, awful for anything else
These speakers sound great. If you are buying them for your PC and have a 5.1 soundcard, they are an amazing deal for the money.

However, if you bought them for the reason I did, stay clear. I bought these speakers to be used with my DVD player / game consoles to get 5.1 surround for fairly cheap. However, aside from hooking them up to a PC, this is really not realistically possible. No Dolby Digital or DTS decoding, which means in a lot of cases, namely with an Xbox, you can't get true 5.1 sound, just their "matrix" 5.1 which is basically stereo sound that is supposed to sound like 5.1 but in reality doesnt at all. I have them hooked up to my DVD player right now, and basically all they do is provide clearer and louder stereo sound than my built in TV speakers do.

The cords on the rear speakers are a tad short, but this is easy to fix at radio shack and you wont end up spending any more than $15 on wires / couplers to extend them.

The bass is uncontrollably loud at all times, even when it is turned down to its lowest setting. We turn the bass all the way down, and it can still be heard very loudly in the next room over.

Don't get me wrong, these speakers sound amazing. If you are buying them for your PC, go for it, they offer a lot of bang for your buck, and aside from the uncontrollable bass, they produce solid sound. If you are buying these for a home theater setting or for use with Xbox or PS2, I would recommend looking into a different set.

EDIT: Monique's review as an answer to mine is correct. You can get true 5.1 from most DVD players with these speakers, but in order to do so, you must spend and extra $200+ on a reciever / amplifier. Mostly, I wanted them for my PS2 / Xbox, and these speakers dont really help with that unless you spend a lot of extra money. If you are looking to get speakers to work with PS2 / XBox, get speakers that have an optical input...both systems have an optical output port, and this provides the best sound. "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users