gronne

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:52 AM

This may be a strange topic, but it was more me thinking about the common hatred towards mcdonalds. This idea will sound very rediculous. I'm in Australia for a vacation now, and it struck me that they've got Mcdonalds in EVERY corner here. So why haven't we seen any similar food-chain trying to counter with healthy food? The idea isn't exactly revolutionary, and there ought to have been something doing this YEARS ago. But apparently there's nothing in the places I've visited at least. Maybe the problem is that there's been companys trying to accomplish this, but they've been doing it the wrong way. So, I was pondering some ideas while chewing my big mac. The key issue is HOW to make it work. There's NO DOUBT a HUGE business for this.

First off, some things are crucial. Like making and selling healthy food(off course), and it's crucial it tastes well(should be possible, even though not as good as mcdonalds). And it MUST be cheap(should also be possible). And it must be worldwide.

So, one of my ideas is that in order to be successful it must be community owned by thousands of wealthy entrepreneurs. Or in some way owned by a huge amount of people so it's not instantly threathened to fall. Because I've seen small places like burgerevelution(which tries to be healthy), but they're way too expensive and small. I guess mcdonalds takes every opportunity to fight this sort of resistance. So if we're big we should be able to do something. I know that my thoughts are more or less ludicrous, but I just wanted to start a debate about this, as NOTHING seems to happen. This is something that needs to happen NOW and FAST in all the places mcdonalds exist. I'm absolutely positive it should be possible to have this sort of food-chain all over the world, the questions are many though. I have many, many more ideas for this, I hope you do too.

#2 gcskate27

gcskate27

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts
  • Interests:video games, prgramming, comps, skateboarding, cooking, taking care of my lizards and dachshund
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:10 PM

healthful food is more expensive as generally it must be made using fresh ingredients, unlike a burger chain which can mass produce all their food months ahead of time... as the old saying goes - you get what you pay for...

#3 Arvarden

Arvarden

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:45 PM

Thats slightly untrue gcskate27...

Vegtables are stored for silly amounts of time before they are shipped to your local super market. In some case's vegies and fruit is stored upto 3 months + so I wouldn't call that produce fresh anymore because it is not.

But for some reason we still get spanked $ when buying "fresh" goods.

#4 damam

damam

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:argueing for the sake of arguement alone
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 February 2006 - 04:40 PM

McDonalds is like any other publicly owned resteraunt chain. They have a clear agenda and that is to make money (not to make people fat as it would seem you are implying). If the public were to suddenly decide to go on a world wide health kick, McDonalds would litarally adapt over night and start selling health food as well. They already are doing it to small degree with their adult happy meals. But they will tell you that people dont really buy them. The change must be publicly driven, then the entrpeneurs will follow.

everyone hates mcdonalds??? - i had no idea - I love.gif mcdonalds
as a special treat we go and eat there every two months.

#5 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,752 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:34 PM

in europe when someone wants healthy food they go home and cook it themselves

the reason the "healthy" fast food alternatives came up in america is because so many peopel dont have the self control to stop eating when their weight gets to an unhealthy level, for the most part people in other countries dont get fat eating mcdonalds, so theres no need for a "healthy" alternative

#6 bluedeath

bluedeath

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Feb 3 2006, 10:41 AM) View Post

in europe when someone wants healthy food they go home and cook it themselves

the reason the "healthy" fast food alternatives came up in america is because so many peopel dont have the self control to stop eating when their weight gets to an unhealthy level, for the most part people in other countries dont get fat eating mcdonalds, so theres no need for a "healthy" alternative

The Europeans don't eat like pigs but they certainly smell like them. Hygiene isn't their strong suit.

#7 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,752 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 04 February 2006 - 03:50 AM

QUOTE(bluedeath @ Feb 3 2006, 12:33 PM) View Post

The Europeans don't eat like pigs but they certainly smell like them. Hygiene isn't their strong suit.

ill half agree there, of the ones i know most dont shower every day, but at the same time they dont smell nearly as bad as americans on day 2

#8 bluedeath

bluedeath

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:43 AM

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Feb 3 2006, 07:57 PM) View Post

ill half agree there, of the ones i know most dont shower every day, but at the same time they dont smell nearly as bad as americans on day 2

So your European?

#9 Arvarden

Arvarden

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:01 AM

Do your man breasts pose a health and safety risk to society BD?

#10 gronne

gronne

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE(damam @ Feb 3 2006, 04:47 PM) View Post

McDonalds is like any other publicly owned resteraunt chain. They have a clear agenda and that is to make money (not to make people fat as it would seem you are implying). If the public were to suddenly decide to go on a world wide health kick, McDonalds would litarally adapt over night and start selling health food as well. They already are doing it to small degree with their adult happy meals. But they will tell you that people dont really buy them. The change must be publicly driven, then the entrpeneurs will follow.

everyone hates mcdonalds??? - i had no idea - I love.gif mcdonalds
as a special treat we go and eat there every two months.

I agree to one hundred per cent. McDonalds only want to profit, and therefore take no responsibility whatsoever.
And they're not trying to make people fat, however they try and make people think it's healthy food. Here(in Australia), there's a situation with a childrens' hospital which has a Mcdonalds store in it. And most moderately intelligent people realize this isn't a concerning company. The people here are pretty pissed, however McDonalds say their food is healthy and should therefore stay. How do McDonalds operate? They deliberately target the children at a young age to make them say McDonalds food instead of Momma's food is the best. Sure, parents should take a bigger responsibility, but shouldn't we demand some responsibility from McDonalds? Their so called healthy salads they're trying to sell now, have been criticized for being too fat, so what are we supposed to do? And I can assure you that they try to kill every attempt of other healthier food-chains, otherwise we'd for sure seen them. I am sure though that we'll see a global one eventually, but for that to happen USA most make the call, and that seems to take a long time.

#11 bluedeath

bluedeath

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE(Arvarden @ Feb 4 2006, 03:08 AM) View Post

Do your man breasts pose a health and safety risk to society BD?

No I had augmentation done to prevent that. Arvy do your British garbage scow teeth pose a health risk? tongue.gif

#12 Arvarden

Arvarden

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 06:08 PM

No, drivers can see us in the dark therefore cutting down RTA's involing pedestrians.

#13 CattyKid

CattyKid

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts
  • Interests:Everything
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:15 AM

Is McDonalds bad for selling their unhealthy food, guys? In my mind, no worse than, say, even MS and Sony. How much "wasted" time have those two companies contributed to? All that sitting around isn't too good for the body, right? They make good games to get you "addicted," in a sense. Almost every kid has a console, right? There's plenty of marketing to children right there.

#14 pug_ster

pug_ster

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:39 PM

You can't blame McDonald's 100% for unhealthy kids. McDonald's existed in the 70's and 80's but you don't see many obese kids as today. Nowadays, overprotective parents won't let kids go out and play instead getting cooped inside playing video games.

#15 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:59 PM

The only thing McDonalds does wrong is not list all of the ingredients and nutrition labels. They are unhealthier now than they were in the 70's and 80's. If you eat organic beef you won't get fat. But what McDonalds uses is definately not that. I have no idea what they use but it can't be good.

It is expensive to get healthy food. The cost of organic is substantially more than McBeef. Healthy restaurants are everywhere. They are just too expensive to be mainstream. I eat very healthy and I am broke. Coincidence? huh.gif I think not!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users