• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 yodoso

yodoso

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:29 AM

I was thinking about buying a nice projector in so I could enjoy my 360 on a big 100" screen. I know some lcd monitors have ghosting problems with fast gameplay, I was wondering if this is the same case with lcd projectors?

#2 AfterTaste

AfterTaste

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:42 AM

I have a dlp projector so im not too sure... but if you do get a lcd projector get a Panasonic AE900

#3 yodoso

yodoso

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:49 AM

how good the image look on your dlp projector? Which one do you have? Do you prefer to play with the lights on or off? tongue.gif (yes i'm talking about the 360)

#4 AfterTaste

AfterTaste

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:00 AM

i have the 4805 which is awesome but its resolution is only 854x480 so its not true hd and i like it with the lights off...

#5 yodoso

yodoso

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:10 AM

whoaaaaaaaa AfterTaste likes it with the lights off, he must be the shy type. laugh.gif

Anyway thanx man, I just wish someone with a lcd projector would post

#6 AfterTaste

AfterTaste

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:28 AM

They aren't that great of screenshots but they give you an idea....

COD2
Halo 2
Kameo
another Kameo
PD0
PGR2
another PGR2

#7 yodoso

yodoso

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:31 AM

you're the best

#8 AfterTaste

AfterTaste

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:35 AM

Whats your budget on this?

#9 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:44 PM

Budget make a difference.

I have a DLP projector (Boxlight Raven) http://xbox.boxlight.com/

I used to have an Infocus X2

Both are comparable to the Infocus 4805.

LCD projectors typically have the same problems as LCD monitors... and DLP projectors typically have the same problems as DLP RPTVs.

Referring to the sub $1500 projectors in LCD and DLP:

LCDs are typically washed out with not-so-good black levels, some have ghosting but that's getting much better. Also there is often a "screen door" effect because the pixels are spaced out too much. but you can get full 720p resolution out of a budget LCD projector, which is great. LCD is also an analog technology so even if the signal going in is digital it gets converted to analog before being displayed.

DLPs typically have lower resolutions (EDTV as opposed to HDTV, much like low end plasmas). They have much better black levels (particularly with the new "Dark Chip 3" tech) and much less of a screen door effect. No ghosting what-so-ever as the technology is actually magnitudes faster then other display types (meaning they measure refresh in nano seconds as opposed to micro seconds). "Single Chip" DLPs typically have "rainbow effect" problems that 10% of people can see. Which is when you see the colors on the screen separate when your eyes dart across the screen. so if there is a white line down the center of a black screen and your eyes dart from left to right you'll see the white bar separate for a split second into Red Green and Blue. Some projectors are better then others and most people can't even see them trying. If you can see them getting a DLP with a better color wheel (read more segments and faster speed). DLP is also the only true digital display technology so if your source is HDMI or DVI then you can rest assured that the signal is totally digital right up through hitting your screen.

I really like Infocus' products, they use top notch internal components like the Faroudja Scaler which is known to be the best scaler chip you can put in a projector. Basically you get the best quality for your money with them, which is why I like them.

If I were buying a new projector today I'd go with either:

Infocus Screenplay 5000 - LCD projector, true 720p resolution, no ghosting, DVI with HDCP, only down side is black levels aren't so spectacular

or
Infocus 4805 - DLP projector, Vibrant colors, great black level, DVI with HDCP, only down side is that it only supports up to 480p (720p and 1080i are both down scaled to 480p).

The Infocus X3 is really nice too.

No matter what projector you choose, expect to play in a completely dark room as the picture sucks otherwise. There are specialized screens needed to play in a lit room (like the coveted Sony Black Screen) and those can cost as much as one of these low end projectors.

#10 eurodeseo

eurodeseo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:08 PM

I had an Infocus 4805 for about 7 months before upgrading to a Sanyo Z4.

The Sanyo Z4 blows the 4805 out of the water in every aspect. The reviews for the Z4 have been outstanding, as it prevails in areas where earlier LCD displays have failed. The colors are bright and vivid, the blacks are black, and SDE (screen door effect) is a non-issue (a simple nudge of the focus wheel wipes it out, but maintains focus).

I play w/ lights on in the room w/ the projector set on Vivid mode. It's plasma-like in quality (7000:1 contrast ratio). I had a Super Bowl party with about 14 people in my basement and everyone was blown away by this projector.

Visit www.avsforum.com and read up on the different projectors that fit into your budget. It's a very informative site.

All that said, I have a ScreenPlay 4805 (~760 on bulb out of 4000 hours) with a ceiling mount and InFocus brand DVI to M1a cable (30' long) for sale.

#11 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.

Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:07 PM

I should hope the Sanyo Z4 is better... it's twice the price laugh.gif

#12 eurodeseo

eurodeseo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Feb 8 2006, 01:14 PM) View Post

I should hope the Sanyo Z4 is better... it's twice the price laugh.gif

I got mine for $1800 (shipped) and it came w/ a voucher to get a free bulb in the mail ($350 value). Plus Sanyo has a standard 3 year warranty. Not quite twice the price tongue.gif

#13 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE(eurodeseo @ Feb 8 2006, 01:37 PM) View Post

I got mine for $1800 (shipped) and it came w/ a voucher to get a free bulb in the mail ($350 value). Plus Sanyo has a standard 3 year warranty. Not quite twice the price tongue.gif

Pretty good deal with the voucher, but I can still pick up a 4805 between $900 to $1K shipped at most places with a 2 year standard warranty. A few hundred cheaper if I pickup a used or refubed unit.

Most places I've looked have the Z4 it's priced between $2000 and $2200 without the bulb voucher. Still a couple hundred cheaper for a refurb unit. but that still in the range of about "twice the price"

Where'd you get your Z4 I'd be interested in picking one up myself with the deal you got.

Edited by twistedsymphony, 08 February 2006 - 07:43 PM.

#14 AfterTaste

AfterTaste

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:24 PM

Z4 + 360 + 168" Screen = Hotness

Madden
PGR3
COD2

Edited by AfterTaste, 08 February 2006 - 08:26 PM.

#15 eurodeseo

eurodeseo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Feb 8 2006, 01:46 PM) View Post

Pretty good deal with the voucher, but I can still pick up a 4805 between $900 to $1K shipped at most places with a 2 year standard warranty. A few hundred cheaper if I pickup a used or refubed unit.

Most places I've looked have the Z4 it's priced between $2000 and $2200 without the bulb voucher. Still a couple hundred cheaper for a refurb unit. but that still in the range of about "twice the price"

Where'd you get your Z4 I'd be interested in picking one up myself with the deal you got.

I got mine on eBay from the seller avdealer. His website is http://www.audiogene...Widescreen.html

Here is an auction identical to the one I won. It says he has 4 left at this price. Scratch and dent, but in all honesty I received mine in mint condition. There may have been a scuff or two on the box, but I don't think it was enough box damage to warrant a $200 price drop. Regardless, it's a great deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

If you are looking for a 4805, I have one for sale. Details are in one of my previous posts. I'd let it go for $650.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users