Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
rotfl.gif

I think I just found a new sig pic!

#19 Heet

Heet

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts
  • Interests:Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. Disk space.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:17 AM

Wait, its a ps2 port thats polished? LOL Im sorry but thats lame as shit.

#20 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,465 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 09 February 2006 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE(Heet @ Feb 9 2006, 02:24 AM) View Post

Wait, its a ps2 port...

They're speculating

Even if they use the same engine, I'd hardly consider it a port if all the models have been re-done from the ground up.

Engines as the backbone of the game typically have to be re-written even for ports meaning the 360 version probably has NOTHING in common with the PS2 version in terms of graphics.

#21 cjd70510

cjd70510

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Video Games, Movies, Family, Friends, Xbox 360 community!!!
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 February 2006 - 02:49 PM

just updated my personal pic and avator. i'm just posting to see if it works

#22 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:14 PM

new pics up and they look damn good.

IPB Image

IPB Image

http://www.gamersrep....com/news/1287/

#23 LowProfileWurm

LowProfileWurm

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 04:11 PM

ohmy.gif A few more:
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

From Xboxyde: http://www.xboxyde.c...ws_2556_en.html

So THAT's what 20,000 poly's gets us? Wow. biggrin.gif

As for the speculation: All my comments are speculation. I'm assuming that PS2 is the base design (largest user base) and then they work from there. wink.gif

#24 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE(LowProfileWurm @ Feb 9 2006, 10:18 AM) View Post

So THAT's what 20,000 poly's gets us? Wow. biggrin.gif

As for the speculation: All my comments are speculation. I'm assuming that PS2 is the base design (largest user base) and then they work from there. wink.gif

its that fact that leads me to still believe that the game IS being held back by being a last gen port. i think the game looks great, really beautiful. however i thought that 20k polys (even though im sure that is MUCH higher then last gen versions) was kind of low for a next gen character model after hearing about other games using many many more polys per character.

still damn impressive though, game is looking much better then i thought it would. its good to see lara back in a positive way.

#25 LowProfileWurm

LowProfileWurm

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE(KAGE360 @ Feb 9 2006, 10:53 AM) View Post

its that fact that leads me to still believe that the game IS being held back by being a last gen port. i think the game looks great, really beautiful. however i thought that 20k polys (even though im sure that is MUCH higher then last gen versions) was kind of low for a next gen character model after hearing about other games using many many more polys per character.

still damn impressive though, game is looking much better then i thought it would. its good to see lara back in a positive way.
Poly count is different for each game. Racing games (where the cars are the focus and the track goes ripping by) often put most of the poly budget into the cars. Fighting games are the same way. The fighters get all the polygons and the backgrounds get a reduced number. Action games are different because there are NPC's and interactive backgrounds to worry about. But, poly's don't really matter SO much anymore right? It's all about the shaders now.

#26 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE(LowProfileWurm @ Feb 9 2006, 11:05 AM) View Post

Poly count is different for each game. Racing games (where the cars are the focus and the track goes ripping by) often put most of the poly budget into the cars. Fighting games are the same way. The fighters get all the polygons and the backgrounds get a reduced number. Action games are different because there are NPC's and interactive backgrounds to worry about. But, poly's don't really matter SO much anymore right? It's all about the shaders now.

yeah i understand all of that. i realized that long ago that polys dont mean as much now and what matters more is the "paint" (textures, shaders, effects) that the devs can put on these polys that is making more of a difference. im not downplaying it or saying its too low and sucks because of this, i just get the feeling if this was a next gen project from the get-go, there would be more polys being pushed throughout the whole scene not just the characters.

#27 LowProfileWurm

LowProfileWurm

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE(KAGE360 @ Feb 9 2006, 12:02 PM) View Post

yeah i understand all of that. i realized that long ago that polys dont mean as much now and what matters more is the "paint" (textures, shaders, effects) that the devs can put on these polys that is making more of a difference. im not downplaying it or saying its too low and sucks because of this, i just get the feeling if this was a next gen project from the get-go, there would be more polys being pushed throughout the whole scene not just the characters.
I guess 20K is better than the 500 or so she was comprised of in TR1!! laugh.gif

#28 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE(LowProfileWurm @ Feb 9 2006, 12:04 PM) View Post

I guess 20K is better than the 500 or so she was comprised of in TR1!! laugh.gif

i dont know i kinda liked the huge cone/triangle tits lol tongue.gif i just pretended she was wearing one of madanna's former bras or something laugh.gif

#29 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,465 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:04 PM

I believe I read somewhere that most models in Doom3 and Quake 4 (PC versions) were around 10K per character, before normal mapping which bumped the perceived polys to the range of 100K

PGR3 might have 90K polys per car but it also had an engine purpose built for the 360 and still can't run at full rez and can't use full FSAA, AND still only runs at 30FPS, couple that with the fact you're limiting the game to only 8 cars, and car's arn't really animated at all (basically it's a giant block with 4 wheels that move in 3 of 6 axis).

Then you have THIS game that has a character with more movement and animation in one of her fingers then an entire car model in PGR3.

Remember you typically need to improve the poly count on an EXPONENTIAL scale to improve the visual appeal on an incremental scale.

I've been told DOA4 and the upcoming Rumble roses only use 50K polys per character and those games only have 2 characters on the screen at a time. No to mention the "Rubie" tech demo ATI put on to demo the Xenos only used 70K average poly's per character, And that's a TECH demo with no AI Physics, or logic of any kind, optimized for that processor and that processor only meaning no game will probably ever touch that.

Also you don't know how many on-screen baddies they plan on having on screen at a time in TRL. If there's 20 or 30 then 20K is a pretty impressive number

putting it in that perspective I can't imagine why you'd like think 20K poly's is being "held back" blink.gif

Edited by twistedsymphony, 09 February 2006 - 07:07 PM.

#30 LowProfileWurm

LowProfileWurm

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Feb 9 2006, 01:11 PM) View Post

Also you don't know how many on-screen baddies they plan on having on screen at a time in TRL. If there's 20 or 30 then 20K is a pretty impressive number
There is only 1 universal bad guy in TRL... and his name is Carson Daly. laugh.gif

Haha, ok, all kidding aside, I'm pretty surprised they are even going with 20K for Lara. I think Lara in Angel of Darkness only had 5000 polys and no shaders that I'm aware of. I'm most intrigued by the comment that "like the fighters in Fight Night Round 3, Lara will appear wet when swimming and will gradually dry off." And no, Deftech, I doubt there will be any wet-tshirt contests. wink.gif

Regardless, I think the gaming industry is a little diluted when it comes to "next-gen" gaming visuals. Thanks to Sony and the Killzone demo... dry.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users