metaldevil

Webhead

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:15 AM

Firstly, I wasn't paying attention when I got this game and ended up getting the full version instead of the trial. Now, I don't really like this game (I'll admit: it's a little fun on the highest difficulty), but I'll share with you what I've figured out.

The points are really very easy to get. Don't be fooled by that 10 million point achievement. I'm #13 in the world with 110 million big ones, and I never made it to wave 20 in that session. wink.gif

This is the secret I found to banking it big in this game:

Before you begin a game, set your difficulty to 10. From the first level that you get enemies, do nothing but shoot the enemies. Do not touch ANY crystals. Once you've killed them all and no more are coming through the gates, grab one crystal. This triggers the enemies to begin entering through the gates again. Once you've killed this new set, grab just one more crystal and repeat this process until there are no more crystals to get. Enemies will not enter the level after you get the last crystal.

Never shoot the gates because you may accidentally shoot a large crystal. On difficulty of 5, large crystals are worth ~50k max. On difficulty of 10, those same large crystals are worth ~1.1 million max. Using my method of shooting the maximum number of enemies on a level and grabbing the large crystals every chance you get, you can have your 10 miilion point achievement by wave 4 or 5 depending on how often those large crystals make an appearance.

When you get to wave 10, you'll earn lots of points because those pink globules are worth 50,000. For every respawn, the level averages about 20 globules. 20 x 50k = 1 million even. There are about 25 - 50 crystals in that wave. You do the math.

Note: If you die in a batch of enemies, you do not need to get a crystal to make more appear. They'll enter through the gates as if you grabbed a crystal. Also, at difficulty of 10, everything that you touch that gives you a warning on lower difficulties will kill you instantly (e.g., level mines, the exit, enemies' mines, etc.). Also, smart bombs will destroy large crystals.

Some enemies you need to be cautious of:

Turtleshells: They shoot fast and often, and they have good range. They usually bundle up to make you dance like Michael J. Fox in Back to the Future Part 3.

Starfish: Just when you think they've slowed down and start moving away from you, they hurl themselves very quickly at you. On difficulty of 10, you need to shoot those bastards like you're earth's last hope.

Spinners: Don't shoot these guys at close range because once you do, shrapnel flies in every direction. It's best to holster your weapon as long as you can until you've collected enough crystals then use a smart bomb. I sped through levels with spinners like a madman. I wasn't even after points, just survival.

Mine-layers: They lay mines that look like crystals with a black dot in the center. These are the other guys I speed through. On difficulty of 10, there are a lot of them and they lay mines quicker than you can imagine. Smart bomb their mines after you've shot as many of them as you could.

Those molecule-looking green/red things: It seems to me that they predict the path that you're about to take and shoot at it.

Those boxes that momentarily equip laser-lances from two sides at once: Their reach is pretty far considering the little room you have to maneuver in while avoiding crystals, mines and other enemies in those higher waves.

The left-right/up-down green squares: These guys are easy to avoid. Shoot them to stop them from moving for a few seconds. On the highest difficulty, there are a lot of them and they travel fast.

It's bedlam when you have several of these guys bunched together in a level and you're trying not to get crystals so you can get that high score.

I go about this game in a frenzy. I try to do things very quickly. That's why I've shot up tons of large crystals and died stupid deaths.

Questions?

Edited by metaldevil, 10 February 2006 - 04:31 AM.

#2 notsodiseased

notsodiseased

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 05:18 AM

No Q's from me but Ill use your method and match or beat your score. biggrin.gif

I noticed when i first played it and got like 1mill + that i was # 244 and you were like #238 or some similiar number.

I did develop my own strategy of only shooting up/down or left/right with no diag shots. It seemed like the only time I shot the gates at all was the 1 time it spawned a mega crystal.

Edited by notsodiseased, 10 February 2006 - 05:19 AM.

#3 metaldevil

metaldevil

Webhead

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE(notsodiseased @ Feb 9 2006, 11:25 PM) View Post
...or beat your score. biggrin.gif
Why I oughtta... IPB Image

QUOTE(notsodiseased @ Feb 9 2006, 11:25 PM) View Post
It seemed like the only time I shot the gates at all was the 1 time it spawned a mega crystal.
Same here except it happens a lot for me. As soon as I get comfortable with the large crystals not showing up, I take a risk and shoot near the gates. Just as I fire, a large crystal comes through the gates and gets "Swiss-cheesed." I must've lost about 10 - 20 milllion points this way.

#4 wonton2112

wonton2112

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 10 February 2006 - 03:30 PM

You gave away my strategy T_T. It's okay though, I've yet to have the patience to play long enough to get a great score. I always end up stopping around wave 8 or 9.

#5 tonloc79

tonloc79

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 10 February 2006 - 07:31 PM

Thx for the tip MetalDevil! beerchug.gif

#6 tonloc79

tonloc79

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:13 PM

The 10,000,000 point achievement, can it be done at the hardest difficulty? Cause if not how long at standars does it take?

#7 metaldevil

metaldevil

Webhead

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE(tonloc79 @ Feb 10 2006, 01:38 PM) View Post
Thx for the tip MetalDevil! beerchug.gif
No problem. smile.gif

QUOTE(tonloc79 @ Feb 10 2006, 02:20 PM) View Post
The 10,000,000 point achievement, can it be done at the hardest difficulty? Cause if not how long at standars does it take?
My entire strategy is based on the difficulty being set to 10 (highest). Although you can nail it by wave 5, it might take approximately half an hour depending on quickly you kill all the enemies, grab one crystal, kill all the enemies, grab one more crystal and so on. One of the first few times I played the game, it was on standard (5) and I got to level 50-something with less than 8 million points. It goes without saying that the best way to do it is on the highest difficulty (10). It's tedious, but it's easy. Not only that, but I'm sure you'll go way past 10 million once you get the achievement.

Now I have all the achievements for this game. I guess I'm done with it. Now it's back to Marble Blast. biggrin.gif I'll still answer any questions you guys might have.

Oh, I just remembered: I was playing through the game again to get a nicer score on Live (I'm down to #17 now sad.gif) and I got to the first level that has Starfish. I was trying to avoid them to survive (my score was suckin' anyway) and a whole bunch rushed me from all sides. I panicked and used my last bomb. Lo and behold, it gave me the Apocalypse achievement. So now you guys know. On the highest difficulty (10), you can grab the Apocalypse on the first level with Starfish. It's one of the waves close to wave 20. Probably 18 or 19.

Edited by metaldevil, 10 February 2006 - 10:16 PM.

#8 tonloc79

tonloc79

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:13 PM

What i was getting at was in the Achievement page it says for th 10M points it needs to be on standard difficulty or lower, but youre saying it can be done at the hardest settting, if true great cause i tried it on standard and after about an hour i was only at 1.7M and quit!

#9 metaldevil

metaldevil

Webhead

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:46 PM

Yes, I got my 10 million on the highest difficulty. I'm positive because I could never reach 10 million on standard. I don't think I even reached 8 million on standard. I just decided to raise the difficulty in hopes that it'd give me more points. I knew my suspicions were right once I got 50k for the first wave.

It has to be typo in the achievement list. Can you imagine getting 10 million points on the easiest difficulty? blink.gif That's the difficulty I used to get the Marathon Man achievement. I had over 50 lives and over 40 bombs when I finished wave 60 on easy. After it gave me the achievement, it started me on wave 61. I just went to play something else after that. I don't think I even crossed the 1 million point mark on easy.

Edited by metaldevil, 10 February 2006 - 11:48 PM.

#10 metaldevil

metaldevil

Webhead

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 02:01 AM

I just noticed I have two new Crystal Quest gamer pictures. They might be unlocked once you get all the achievements, but I'm not sure because I just noticed them. Maybe you get them once you purchase the game. Who knows? They're pretty lame pictures anyway.

#11 tonloc79

tonloc79

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 02:19 AM

QUOTE(metaldevil @ Feb 10 2006, 11:53 PM) View Post

Yes, I got my 10 million on the highest difficulty. I'm positive because I could never reach 10 million on standard. I don't think I even reached 8 million on standard. I just decided to raise the difficulty in hopes that it'd give me more points. I knew my suspicions were right once I got 50k for the first wave.

It has to be typo in the achievement list. Can you imagine getting 10 million points on the easiest difficulty? blink.gif That's the difficulty I used to get the Marathon Man achievement. I had over 50 lives and over 40 bombs when I finished wave 60 on easy. After it gave me the achievement, it started me on wave 61. I just went to play something else after that. I don't think I even crossed the 1 million point mark on easy.

Thats a relief because like i said i played it on medium difficulty with your strategy and after an hour only had 1.7mil points, lol! looks like the kill(ZAP) 20 baddies is the hardest?

#12 notsodiseased

notsodiseased

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:01 AM

Yea all thats left for me is the Zap em. I dont think you can get it on the highest difficulty until Wave 15+

#13 metaldevil

metaldevil

Webhead

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE(tonloc79 @ Feb 10 2006, 08:26 PM) View Post
looks like the kill(ZAP) 20 baddies is the hardest?
Yes, it's the hardest in the game to get, but it's not hard at all to get. I thought it would be, but like I said earlier, I got it by accident. I was surrounded by those starfish in wave 19 (I think; maybe 18). I panicked and used my last bomb. There were enough starfish on screen to get me the Apocalypse. I was just trying to beat my high score in this run. I had no intention of getting any achievements that time. Immediately after I got the Apocalypse, I exited my game and went to get the Life Saver achievement because I knew that would be an easy one to get.

The two or three waves before the starfish wave are a pain in the ass because of those turtleshells. If you manage to make it to the first turtleshell wave without dying, you'll need to be very careful and fast. Try to keep from using your bombs in that wave. You'll need at least one bomb for the starfish. Stockpile as many lives as you can on your trip to the starfish wave.

There might be 20 turtleshells on the first turtleshell wave (maybe wave 15), but because they shoot so fast and often and have massive range, it'll take a lot of skill (read: aggravation) to survive long enough to have enough of them on-screen to use your smart bomb on.

My advice is to blaze through the mine-layer waves, stockpile lives and bombs on all the waves until you get to the turtleshell waves, and then blaze through them until you get to that first starfish level. When you get there, try to survive until no more starfish are coming through the gates. I think there will be more than 20 starfish on-screen, but it's better to be safe than sorry pissed.

Edited by metaldevil, 11 February 2006 - 12:22 PM.

#14 way fast CBR

way fast CBR

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:20 PM

i must say that tip works great, i just tryed it and got to wave 4, and noticed people have gotten to wave 47 with the same points as me. thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users