6 replies to this topic

#1 bubba_g

bubba_g

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:20 AM

i know im kinda a n00b but wat are different ways or techniques to paint a xbox 360 faceplate but to put letters on it. for example i want to put my gamertag name on my faceplate, im planning on painting the whole thing black but with silver or some other color letters, how would i do this. im not sure to use a stencil or just tape it down, if anyone knows of any other techniques just let me know thankz sad.gif uhh.gif

#2 AClayeJ

AClayeJ

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 February 2006 - 05:08 AM

Easiest and cheapest way that I know of is to get a vinyl shop to make you a paint mask. If you know a little about photoshop, just make your gamertag in it and then take it to the shop and tell them you need a sticker made but in reverse. Meaning, you don't need a sticker of the letters but a sticker of the outline of the letters. Then just place it on the faceplate and put masking tape around the parts it doesn't cover up. Real easy! biggrin.gif

I did the same thing with my truck's speaker grille, shown here:
IPB Image
All I did was paint it silver, let it dry and placed the mask over it and painted away, let it dry, then peeled it off and cleared over all of it about 3 to 4 times.

Edited by AClayeJ, 10 February 2006 - 05:11 AM.

#3 alemerson

alemerson

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 05:13 AM

or you could paint it silver then put your gamertag on the faceplate... then paint black and remove the letters.... i think that that is the better way cause your silver will be brighter. instead of painting silver on top of black. your silver lettering will be on top of the white plastic... (or gray primer) also i feel like it will be easier to get a clean edge with the positive image rather than the negative (letters instead of outline of letters)

then again thats just my opinion

#4 clickerX

clickerX

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 10 February 2006 - 05:16 AM

or you could get somone like kornitup to airbrush it on there for you

#5 bubba_g

bubba_g

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 05:28 AM

yea i was thinkin about payin someone to do it but i already got the paint and every thing

#6 AClayeJ

AClayeJ

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 10 February 2006 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE(alemerson @ Feb 9 2006, 11:20 PM) View Post

or you could paint it silver then put your gamertag on the faceplate... then paint black and remove the letters.... i think that that is the better way cause your silver will be brighter. instead of painting silver on top of black. your silver lettering will be on top of the white plastic... (or gray primer) also i feel like it will be easier to get a clean edge with the positive image rather than the negative (letters instead of outline of letters)

then again thats just my opinion

How will you get a cleaner edge that way? Anyway he does it he still needs to sand it down some after the paint mask has been sprayed.

#7 staildonut

staildonut

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Interests:modding, <_< yeah, totally original
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE(AClayeJ @ Feb 10 2006, 09:29 AM) View Post

How will you get a cleaner edge that way? Anyway he does it he still needs to sand it down some after the paint mask has been sprayed.

It is much easier to burnish down a positive image than a negative image also, you dont have to mask the rest of your faceplate when you do the letters using a positive mask

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users