#1 Xbox-Scene

Xbox-Scene

Memba Numero Uno

• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:17 AM

Browse The Internet On Your Xbox360-- Posted by HSDEMONZ on February 9 22:17 EST
From GamersReports.com:

Anthony Park has invented software that will allow you to browse the internet with the Media Center Edition remote. While not directly made for surfing on the Xbox360, we have put together just how to use it to do so. You can go to the more programs tab on your Xbox360 and run the program, then use the remote to surf the internet on your Xbox360. (Thanks, 9).

STEP BY STEP
NOTE: You NEED WindowsXP Media Center Edition, it will not work with Windows 2000 or any other form of Windows XP

1) Go to http://www.anpark.com/software.aspx
2) Click on "Download Now (591 Kb)"
3) Double click on MCEBrowserSetup.msi and just click next
4) Start your Xbox360 and go into Media Center
5) Go into "More Programs" and choose the "Browser" Entry.
6) Add Favorites to your 360 from your PC, by going into:

C:, then "Documents and Settings" folder, then the "MCX#" folder
(# is a number, it depends on how many times you did manually reconnect the 360 to the PC , so it changes for everyone.... The highest number is the latest, so choose that folder)

Go into the Subfolder called "Favorites" and either add links by drag'n'drop from Internet Explorers Address Bar to it, or right click and choose "Create Shortcut", enter the URL, click next, and now Enter the Name of the Website (This will be how it appears on the 360)

7) Choose One of your "Favorites" on the 360 and enjoy!

Please note, while you are able to browse the Web, do not mistake this add-on to MCE or a full fledged Web browser. It is using the MCE PC to render an image of the Website which it displays on the 360, but you will not be able to enter any text. (For Example, google wouldn't be useful because you cannot enter text.) However you are able to follow links. No, the USB Keyboard does not work with this as of yet. This also means the likelyhood of getting a virus on your Xbox360 is next to nothing. The browser is basically showing you an image of a browser running on your PC, so if your PC is protected, your Xbox360 is. The only way to exploit the Xbox360 would be with an image library exploit, we think.

Read More: gamersreports.com, anpark.com and Windows MCE apps on Xbox 360.

#2 soccerdude21490

soccerdude21490

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:38 AM

yeaI got this, and I like it so far, besdies the clicking links thing, I havn't gotten that to work yet, so far I've found that the X,A,B,Y seem to move aorund, but still have no luck haha

#3 repoman45805

repoman45805

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:47 AM

I would think M$ will stop this with the next update real fast.

I love to see the web on the 360! biggrin.gif

#4 BlueCop

BlueCop

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 05:08 AM

why would they stop it exactly? they are working with in their framework. did yuo even read what was posted? the pc is doing the work. the Media center extender technology is basicly only remote desktop with a custom interface and some mpeg/wmv streaming.

#5 repoman45805

repoman45805

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 05:29 AM

QUOTE(BlueCop @ Feb 10 2006, 05:15 AM) View Post

why would they stop it exactly? they are working with in their framework. did yuo even read what was posted? the pc is doing the work. the Media center extender technology is basicly only remote desktop with a custom interface and some mpeg/wmv streaming.

M$ would stop this quickly if they were planning on releasing a browser of their own at some point. Think about it for a second, M$ likes to own a monolopy on everything.

#6 BlueCop

BlueCop

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:14 AM

it is already all their products and thus a monopoly. your logic doesn't make any sense. It is their browser doing the rendering on the pc. Where exactly do other companies enter into this? it is all them with in their framework of products. trust me they don't give 2 shits. hell they might even like it. it could sells more xbox 360s and more media center pcs. this will never get shut down as you say because it wouldn't make any sense. Even if they plan to release their own why stop this because it is just a unsupported extra feature. it costs them nothing and might gain them customers. you should stop and think for a second. you aren't pulling one over on MS or anything

Edited by BlueCop, 10 February 2006 - 06:16 AM.

#7 repoman45805

repoman45805

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:31 AM

All I am saying is I seriously doubt anyone from M$ is excited about this and I think the last thing on their minds is the extra revenue this will bring them.

#8 BlueCop

BlueCop

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 07:40 AM

"the last thing on their minds is the extra revenue" are you serious? this is the main thing any corporation cares about. you have no idea what you are talking about. first you say they would shut it down in a new update. well it is the computer doing all the work. even the XboxMCE.xex is sent from the pc so the software the 360 is running at the time when viewing these pages isn't even stored on the box. second you say they would shut it down because they might release their own browser and they want a monoply. again it is already all their product. no other company enters into it. its all their technology and no one elses they aren't losing shit and are gaining features for those willing to mess with it all the while not losing their security of the system because the work is done on the pc. no custom code is run on the 360. third you say you doubt anyone is excited about this because they don't think about revenue. i didn't say they were excited. they are indifferent. if some guy wants to view web pages on his 360 then they don't care. it doesn't affect them in any way and has possible incentives for people to buy more of their products. get your logic strait and think it all the way through. everything you're saying is starting with the assumption MS doesn't like this.

Edited by BlueCop, 10 February 2006 - 07:43 AM.

#9 youdontknow

youdontknow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:05 AM

this app is great, it would be cool if there was a mouse pointer or you could browse by putting websites with the a keyboard THANX anyways great add-on

#10 mandrake001

mandrake001

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:35 PM

Cant add text ? you can if you have the remote and select the dvdmenu button now you can make an entry biggrin.gif

#11 xecuterbox

xecuterbox

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:50 PM

I probably wont use this - mostly because its rendering an image and transerring it. If it used some sort of flash or html page to actually transfer the page and converting up/down/left/right to scroll through page and links. If you use the extender opn the 360 to go to google, directly via an mcl file you can use a virtual keyboard etc - but its useless that way cause you cant click links.

I may use this once in a while when I get bored, preinstalled it ready, for now Ill probly cath up on xbox-scene news by pc or going directly on the page with this mcl file

CODE
<application
url="http://www.xbox-scene.com"
name="xbox-Scene"
bgcolor="RGB(90,60,105)"
startImage="C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Media Center\Media Center Programs\Icons\Xbox-Scene.png"
thumbnailImage="C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Media Center\Media Center Programs\Icons\Xbox-Scene.png"
>
</application>

It loads the page straight away from mce and although you cant navigate you can use the analogue stick to scroll through the news

Ill go now - i may try a comparison see the speed of this replacement addon etc

#12 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:50 PM

i already posted this

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=488603

but oh well smile.gif

i never really saw much use for web browsing on consoles, yeah i used it on the saturn and DC but i dont think it will ever be as seamless as a PC. then you get the people who expect it to be as good as a PC and start to complain about lack of features or functions.

#13 xecuterbox

xecuterbox

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 01:50 AM

funny thing is Im saying it could be better with links and typing in text etc - but im using my xbox 360 right next to my PC tongue.gif

#14 sophp0rn

sophp0rn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 06:45 PM

need help, i installed it and it doesn't showup in "more programs".

#15 yaazz

yaazz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:17 PM

I think Internet on consoles is stupid, but an RSS feed on the Blade 360 dash would be sweet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users