2 replies to this topic

#1 Kamiyay

Kamiyay

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 09:05 PM

I looked for a section to post this and this one is the best i could come up with, please move it if I am wrong.

I have a modded xbox (X3 Chip, etc) and I hook it to the internet thru a crossover to my pc NIC and internet connection sharing it to a usb internet hookup (anyone with SBC DSL and a 2wire modem knows what I am talking about, for those who don't - http://www.2wire.com/?p=124). My house isn't wired, and wireless is unreliable so this is what I do. ANYWAY! I just thought I'd lead you through the setup. Now the question!

What is my xbox doing?

It all started when I was setting all of that up. I run another webforum and I was taking a break from the xbox (which had just been successfully set up). I was looking at the "last clicks" of people browsing my website when I saw a guest I didn't recognize. Keep in mind this is a small forum, I generally know the IP ranges going there. I get one in the 207.xxx.xxx.xxx range. So I do a ARIN (trace the IP for those who don't know what that is) and the owner of that block is the MS Corporation. What the crap? Why is MS browsing my forum? I was beside myself, no clue. Right then my mom runs in and yells at me saying that "We don't own the power company. Yadda Yadda!" so I turn my xbox off.

When I do a refresh MS is gone! ODD! So I turn the xbox back on and check again. MS is back! So this narrows it down to my xbox.BTW it doesn't matter what dash I am using (EvoX, Ava, and XBMC does it) At first I wasn't bothered by it (it was remaining on the forum index) however it has recently been browsing a lot of forums symaltaniously (sp?).

So here is my long list of questions.

What is my xbox doing?
Where is it getting the address from? (I set it to 192.xxx.xxx.xxx and after Nat it should be getting a 6x.xxx.xxx.xxx from my house. 207.xxx.xxx.xxx isn't even in the right IP range!)
Is there a way to stop it?
Is there any reason to worry?

It may sound funny (that's because it is!) and I haven't seen this before. Could MS be mining data through the xbox? Will the world ever know?

#2 Kamiyay

Kamiyay

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 02:29 AM

bump... serously... no one knows?

#3 Kamiyay

Kamiyay

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:20 AM

*bump*

Also found a presence of it within my 2wire modem. If my xbox (the 207.xxx.xxx.xxx address) shows up there then it has to be comming from my xbox. However it isn't going thru NAT! Also should it even be there when its being connected thru my pc?

More on this as it unfolds. I think I may be onto something here. Perhaps the xbox has an IP burned into the NIC?

Anyone know anything?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users