#1 Berzy

Berzy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 February 2006 - 04:19 AM

interested in setting up xlink but i'm unsure if it will work in my area. basically i'm wondering if the tunneling software will create a direct connection between the 2 xboxes or if it will be controled through a xlink server somewhere?

thanks for your time.

#2 c-2

c-2

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:11 PM

if your on the internet it will work .. xlink connects to Orbital servers to Log you in and count the rooms but game traffic is peer to peer , if you have slow internet in the snowy north just try to play with people close to you and have a good look at the pings before you join :] ..

#3 Berzy

Berzy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:37 AM

so orbital servers mean that my ping won't travel miles away down south as long as my partner is in my area or even better the same town.

wondering what a an average to strong ping time is?

also is there anything that will allow me to play directly to my buddies house in the same town under the same ISP? i've heard that you can use a VPN or use linux as a VPN.

thanks again.

#4 c-2

c-2

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:51 AM

ya kai should work just fine with your friends , game traffic runs xbox to xbox so it will work fine.. i have 10 of my friends on kai in the same city all using the same isp ..

the orbs don't handle game traffic or your ping to another person so no worries about where the orb is your connected to ..

same city your pings to each other should be 10 - to 70 depending on the internet you both have .. my one friend had DSL Light and he lives i'd say 2 blocks from me and his ping was a crappy 70 .. he got the open DSL package and now is ping to me is 20 .. a bunch of us use cable internet and our pings are in the area of 15 to 40 ..

distance matters alot in what the pings will be .. however a higer ping doesn't always mean lag , depends on the host and the game .. example: i can't play Links Golf with duke because he lives overseas and usually has a ping to me of 120 or so .. Links is a "ping sensitive game" your HAS to be under 80 .. Ghost recon 2 on the other hand i can kill duke all day and can play with people who have 200 as a ping ..

best thing i can say is .. just try it :]

Edited by c-2, 15 February 2006 - 04:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users