#1 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 February 2006 - 04:34 PM

Technically a rumor since Infinity Ward refuses to comment on anything other than that they are working on a multiplayer patch, but still something that cannot be denied: strange things are happening with Call of Duty 2 online gaming on Xbox 360.

As one of our readers stated:

I played 4 games 12vs12 yesterday on Xbox Live, and only one of them was laggy. So far 8vs8 was the standing record. Biggest game I played so far contained 27 players and was hopelessly laggy, but it was there.

Using the famous system link glitch you should not be capable of getting more than 16 players in one game. So is it possible that this is happening because of serverside changes? Most certainly, because the same thing happened for Halo 2 in the past, where all of a sudden you could join bigger games than was supposedly possible according to the manual. Matchmaking is done by the Xbox Live service itself, so they could easily decide to rig you through to one of MS’s or Activision’s test servers running dedicated code that allows 16v16 games, either for testing game server code or bandwidth requirements. And it makes sense too to test it this way, because it’s impossible to truly test online gaming for a game from within a single office: you need a worldwide audience to test worldwide gaming.

So, it would seem they are working indeed on getting the patch out. Does it mean we’ll have 16vs16 games after the patch? Don’t count on it, if a dedicated server was already lagging on serving a 27-player game. But they are testing things, and 12vs12 seems acceptable in most cases. Let’s pray this semi-public testing is the final testing before the release!

sounds good if true. i liked the regular 4 vs 4 when it wasnt lagging. either way i hope this patch comes out soon because i dont see me playing this online much after GRAW comes out.

http://www.xboxic.co...ws/197#more-197

Edited by KAGE360, 14 February 2006 - 04:36 PM.

#2 Killa420

Killa420

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:44 PM

12vs12. Dam, host would have to be on one badass connection for that to run. That would be awsome though.

#3 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE(Killa420 @ Feb 14 2006, 02:51 PM) View Post

12vs12. Dam, host would have to be on one badass connection for that to run. That would be awsome though.

not entirely, im sure network code plays a huge part of it. that starwars battlefield featured 32-player (and later updated to a higher count) and people hosted that game just fine.

at first i thought it would be heavily dissapointing with the game being only 4 vs 4, but after actually playing it online, i thought it was really great. better then halo 2 IMO (never cared for the game online that much) and gave the online portion a level of strategy IMO. either way as long as they just fix up the lag issue and give us actual lobby control then the online mode would really shine.

#4 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:33 PM

Damn, I'd be happy if just 4v4 worked flawlessly. Some 12v12 would be insanity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users