2 replies to this topic

#1 Cryofax

Cryofax

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:49 AM

I had the case off, and the Hard drive out, so the CPU heatsink was exposed. I had the fan disconnected as I was modifying it...

I turned the box on to check something, and let it run. I come back a little later and it was in error mode due to the CPU temperature reaching 75c.

I found this interesting, as the heatsink was in open air, yet absolutely needs that fan to keep cool. This isn't unusual for a PC CPU with a fan blasting right on it at 3300rpms+, but my little speed adjustable fan probably runs at 2000rpms and the X-Box fan is an exhaust fan, not blowing on the CPU, and not directly connected to it. You'd think in the open air it wouldn't need hot air pulled away from it.

Put the thing back together, and sure enough back to the usual 40c-45c.

I thought it was interesting, only becuase I've been involved in quieting/cooling PCs for so long I was surprised it got so hot in the open air just because the exhaust fan was gone.

- Cryo

#2 Cappi

Cappi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Interests:Modding the crap out of xbox's
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 February 2006 - 06:05 AM

The xbox is designed, when all put together to channel and pull most of the air over the psu heatsink and then blow it out the back. so with out the case on, it doesnt cool as well.

#3 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 February 2006 - 06:07 AM

The heatsinks absorb the heat (drawing it away from the processor), but it still requires some airflow. No fan = no airflow. Doesn't matter whether it was in "open air" since there wasn't any air movement to channel the heat away from the heatsinks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users