• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 jthunder

jthunder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:39 AM

I am looking for a good tutorial for softmodding an xbox using an already modded xbox.

There are lots of tuts for using the hotswap method with a PC using a livecd. How about a link to a tutorial for softmodding/hotswapping using an already modded xbox.

This is what I think the steps might be;

1. Boot unmodded xbox to retail dash
2. Boot modded xbox to evox install cd
3. Hotswap the retail drive to the modded xbox
4. Use evox cd to backup and prepare the retail drive (how?), including installing the softmod (which one?)
(optional) 5. Prepare a larger drive (software and softmod) for use in the unmodded xbox
6. Power-off unmodded xbox
7. Power-off modded xbox
8. Reconnect retail drive (or larger prepared drive) to unmodded xbox
8. Power-on and voila?

Can someone help me out here by correcting/completing my steps and providing a list of software/utilities to use at each step?

Thanks a million.

JT

#2 compton

compton

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 01:58 AM

http://www.xbox-scen...ox-hot-swap.php

not sure if this will help, as i have tried and failed.

it is much easier to hotswap to a pc because you can pause the boot process before the pc loads the hd driver. this makes the timing only important for xbox. that isn't an option with another xbox.

i imaging it would require flawless timing, and maybe someone else to pull the ide out of the other box simultaniously.

eitherway goodluck.

#3 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 February 2006 - 07:19 AM

Small xbox to xbox hotswap guide:

hardmodded xbox is named xbox A
softmodded/unmodded xbox is named xbox B

precaution: due to floating grounds it may be safer to connect both xbox chassis with a wire.

1: disconnect DVD IDE cable and HDD IDE cable from xbox B (while powered off)
2: reattach HDD IDE cable from xbox B but only halfway (but make sure it's connected)
3: power on xbox B and wait till it hits the error screen
4: pull out HDD IDE cable in one straight move and leave it powered on

5: put in a bootdisc in xbox A (make sure ftp settings are correct in this bootdisc)
6: power off xbox A and remove HDD IDE cable
7: power on xbox A and let it fully boot the bootdisc
8: put HDD from xbox B to xbox A free IDE cable
9: start ftp client connect and hit refresh

#4 jthunder

jthunder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 08:11 AM

Great guide Krayzie, thanks, I've now got ftp access to the unmodded hd through slayer's disk ftp. Now...

I understand that there is three more steps

1. Install an exploit. Which one should I choose and why? I would like the softmodded xbox to boot right to xbmc (or other .xbe of my choosing). Font exploit? Which one - it is very confusing on what to use here.
2. Install a bios loader. Which one, again the above end result applies.
3. Boot unsigned code (hopefully the universal xbmc loader .xbe)

Can you provide me with insight into what I should be using for each of these steps?

Thanks

JT

#5 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 08:19 AM

use kingroaches ndure installer and replace the dash with xbmc

#6 jthunder

jthunder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:01 AM

Ok, followed the kingroaches ndure installer, but after copying the files to the unmodded xbox and rebooting it still boots to the MS dash!

Am I missing something here? I was assuming that the exploited files copied would affect the next boot of the console?

Any help here is very appreciated.

Thanks

JT

#7 jthunder

jthunder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 05:31 PM

So now I find the Uxe-complete-v0.2.2 on xbins. This claims to work with any revision of xbox, does this also mean any version of the bios?

The instructions also indicate to erase the entire C drive, and replace it with the C drive structure created by the .bat files. By doing this it seems that there would be no way to recover the drive afterward (unless the drive can be unlocked through booting off of the dvd drive, like with a game).

Does the Uxe-complete-v0.2.2 include a bios loader to get the newly copied .xbe to run?

Sorry if these questions are extremely noob'd

JT

P.S. - if I can get this working, I will pay back by writing an extremely straight forward guide for newbs to do this.

Edited by jthunder, 17 February 2006 - 05:33 PM.

#8 xman954

xman954

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 February 2006 - 06:54 PM

Ok, followed the kingroaches ndure installer, but after copying the files to the unmodded xbox and rebooting it still boots to the MS dash!
you did something wrong, you must replace C and copy E folder contents to the xbox HDD (read the instructions, you must have a full copy of the 5960 MS dash in a folder called "C" in the installer dir and then point the installer to it when it asks)

The instructions also indicate to erase the entire C drive, and replace it with the C drive structure created by the .bat files. By doing this it seems that there would be no way to recover the drive afterward (unless the drive can be unlocked through booting off of the dvd drive, like with a game).

usually this is done from a gamesave using FTP or xboxHDM in you case xbox hotswap (don't use UXE use NDURE the steps are the same to install either one)

Great guide Krayzie, thanks, I've now got ftp access to the unmodded hd through slayer's disk ftp
start over and delete all the files in C:\ first using FTP, then FTP the NDURE installer for PC "C" files to the xbox HDD then copy "E" the files

#9 jthunder

jthunder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:03 PM

you did something wrong, you must replace C and copy E folder contents to the xbox HDD (read the instructions, you must have a full copy of the 5960 MS dash in a folder called "C" in the installer dir and then point the installer to it when it asks)

start over and delete all the files in C:\ first using FTP, then FTP the NDURE installer for PC "C" files to the xbox HDD then copy "E" the files

So by starting over you mean;

1. Hotswap and restore the backed up \C\ contents from the backup I have.
2. Download the 5960.01 dash from somewhere into a working ndure directory on my pc. (how do I know if this exists on the backup I have?)

-from the ndure 3.0 readme.pdf-

3. Patching C drive files:
For this, it is recommended that you have latest MS dash (5960.01 V. 185EAD00). Have all of the dash files in a folder named "C". Next, run the installer with your appropriate choices. As a destination folder, select the parent folder that has your dash files "C" folder in it (don't select "C" folder). The installer will add/rename/delete necessary files and create a complete C drive replacement.

3. Run the ndure installer using this working folder as the target. (what does the above mean by "all of the dash files")

4. Using ftp delete all of the files from the \C and \E directories on the hotswapped drive.

5. Copy the ndure target directory over to the hotswapped drive.
6. Reinstall the HD and Reboot?

Thanks again.

#10 takagen

takagen

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE(krayzie @ Feb 17 2006, 07:26 AM) View Post

precaution: due to floating grounds it may be safer to connect both xbox chassis with a wire.

2: reattach HDD IDE cable from xbox B but only halfway (but make sure it's connected)

5: put in a bootdisc in xbox A (make sure ftp settings are correct in this bootdisc)

Does that mean while now i'm in Evox, i can also do a backup eeprom for xbox B as well?
(assuming my bootdisc is Evox)

Edited by takagen, 10 March 2006 - 01:48 PM.

#11 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE(takagen @ Mar 10 2006, 01:46 PM) View Post

Does that mean while now i'm in Evox, i can also do a backup eeprom for xbox B as well?
(assuming my bootdisc is Evox)

an eeprom backup only backs ou the eeprom on the fysical chip which is on the mainboard. so you cannot hotswap an unmodded hd to a chipped xbox and get the eeprom from the unmodded xbox

#12 Hysa

Hysa

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE(krayzie @ Feb 17 2006, 07:26 AM) View Post

I'm having some trouble at steps 6 and 7. My chipped xbox won't boot the Slayer 2.7 Auto-Installer (I guess this is a boot disk?) when the HDD IDE cable is removed before powering on. Any help?

Both xboxes are 1.6, and the chipped xbox has the EvoX M8 v1606 on an Aladdin chip...

#13 Hysa

Hysa

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE(Hysa @ Jan 31 2007, 07:40 PM) View Post

I'm having some trouble at steps 6 and 7. My chipped xbox won't boot the Slayer 2.7 Auto-Installer (I guess this is a boot disk?) when the HDD IDE cable is removed before powering on. Any help?

Both xboxes are 1.6, and the chipped xbox has the EvoX M8 v1606 on an Aladdin chip...

Nevermind, I
managed to hotswap while booting the chipped xbox and install NDURE and sucessfully do the softmod smile.gif

#14 viper073

viper073

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:24 PM

Hi Krayzie,
I managed to do the steps above and FTP to the unmodded xbox (I think) but my FTP client says all the folders are empty.
Is this correct?

#15 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE(viper073 @ Jul 23 2008, 12:00 AM) View Post

I managed to do the steps above and FTP to the unmodded xbox (I think) but my FTP client says all the folders are empty.
Is this correct?

Did you refresh? What boot disc did you use? If it has a file manager, you may want to navigate to D:\ and relaunch the default.xbe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users