10 replies to this topic

#1 chalbing

chalbing

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 04:00 AM

I have a motherboard that is missing a part. I am pretty sure that i have seen someone else with this part missing it is part

R7D5

it is very freaking small, it is between the left side of the xbox wall and the place where the pinheader goes. it is the little middle part of the three there.

Question is what is it and what is the best way to replace it. I have an extra motherboard that is beyond screwed that i could remove the part from but will probebly be pretty hard to remove it. Wanted to know if there was a way for me to geto rig it. Like if it is a resistor could i just put a full size resistor there or something. Thanks

#2 chalbing

chalbing

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 04:12 AM

user posted image

K, here is a picture of it. It is not the component with the circle around it but it is the one below it labled R7D5

#3 MacGuyver_3030

MacGuyver_3030

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 04:18 AM

hmmm, i think your better off buying a new motherboard/hard drive combo from www.llama.com

#4 chalbing

chalbing

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 04:21 AM

that is the wrong link, and I wanna get this to work. It is an extra motherboard i have laying around.

#5 MacGuyver_3030

MacGuyver_3030

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 04:22 AM

sorry about the link (but you knew what it was), but if you wanna try and dont mind maybe burning a finger once or twice id say go for it, i know thats what id do.

#6 chalbing

chalbing

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 04:47 AM

what is the correct link??

#7 gainpresence

gainpresence

11 herbs and spices

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 April 2003 - 04:52 AM

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/ is the right link..

#8 alexh

alexh

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:none

Posted 27 April 2003 - 07:25 AM

QUOTE (chalbing @ Apr 27 2003, 06:00 AM)
Question is what is it and what is the best way to replace it. Like if it is a resistor could i just put a full size resistor there or something.

"R7D5" is almost certainly just a surface mount resistor.

Why would you want to replace it? If it has always been missing, and the motherboard works without it, perhaps it is a termination resistor for a part which is never used? There is a slim chance it is a terminator for the LPC port, which isnt needed for a standard X-box, but is needed if you want an LPC mod chip to work 100%.

Yes you could probably replace it with a full size resistor, but you need to know what type of resistor it was (electrolytic, etc.) and it's resistance.

Later

Alex

#9 chalbing

chalbing

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 09:53 AM

Hey alexh

The motherboard does not work at all. I tried removing one from an older motherboard but i would not remove it and put it back on without damaging it. If anyone knows what kind of resistor i could use to replace this please let me know. Thanks

#10 alexh

alexh

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:none

Posted 27 April 2003 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE (chalbing @ Apr 27 2003, 11:53 AM)
Hey alexh

The motherboard does not work at all. I tried removing one from an older motherboard but i would not remove it and put it back on without damaging it. If anyone knows what kind of resistor i could use to replace this please let me know. Thanks

Use a multimeter to calculate the resistance (preferably after it has been removed from circuit, incase it is in parallel with anything else), then try any type of resistor with the same value to begin with.

Are there no markings on the part at all?

Use the online electronic catalogues to try and find a replacement, or talk to that Llama bloke, he may already know what type / size it is smile.gif

Later

Alex

Edited by alexh, 27 April 2003 - 04:50 PM.

#11 chalbing

chalbing

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 07:25 PM

Use a multimeter to calculate the resistance (preferably after it has been removed from circuit, incase it is in parallel with anything else), then try any type of resistor with the same value to begin with.

K, how would i do this? i know put the multi meter on each side and see what the screen says but I am not 100% sure how to read the resistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users