Photo

Howto: Extract Your Xbox 360 Hdd And Connect It To Your Pc.

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Magnus

Lord Magnus

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 February 2006 - 02:11 AM

How to extract your XBOX 360 hard drive and connect it to your PC.
By Lord Magnus.

This tutorial was originally posted at http://www.360gamesaves.com

DISCLAMER: Following these instructions WILL void your hard drives warranty. Any use of this information is at YOUR OWN RISK.

With that out of the way, here is how you do it.

I'm splitting this tutorial in steps. Each step will have the tools, accessories and devices needed in order to accomplish our little mission.
There is 2 different ways (That I Know) of connecting your XBOX 360's Hard Drive to your PC, and I will be describing both of them.

STEP 1: Taking the XBOX 360's Hard Drive (HDD) out of its protective case.

Tools needed:

1) T-6 TORX screw driver.
2) T-10 TORX screw driver.
3) A thin and pointy blade (to take the "MS" sticker off)

First of all, GROUND yourself properly by touching the screws on a light switch cover, or a metal door frame. Do not forget you're working with sensitive electronics here. If you have an anti-static mat, you might want to use it.

After grounding yourself, take off your XBOX 360 hard drive, and place it flat on a table, with the screws facing up.

Your xbox360 hard drive (HDD) has 4 T-6 TORX screws in the exterior. You will only see 3 of them. To find the forth one, you will have to remove the
"MS" silver sticker, or just go through it with your screw driver, voiding your warranty instantaneously either way you decide to go.
Note: Warming the sticker with a hair dryer makes the sticker come off easier, but it will still void your warranty.
IPB Image

IPB Image

After you have removed the 4 T-6 TORX screws, the part with the chromed trim should come off pretty easy. I didn't have to pry it out to hard, but the end with the button might give you a little trouble. Just pull it off slowly, and be careful not to lose the metal spring that pushes the button out.
Once you have that off, it should look like the picture below.
IPB Image

As you can see, inside we have 4 more screws, this time, you'll need to use the T-10 TORX screw driver to get them out. And once you removed the screws, the thin metal cover will come off rather easy, start lifting it up from the end the button is, and this is what you will see:
IPB Image
Take a look at the picture above. The thin metal cover is off, and you can see your 2.5" SATA HDD. You can see as well, that it would easily slide out if it wasn't for the plastic stopper at the opposite end of the button.
Because of that, I've seen around the web that somebody with a knife, saw off the really strong glue that attaches the metal casing to the plastic base that connects to your XBOX 360. I've tried that, but it is a real pain. So I decided to take a different approach and it worked like a charm.

Take a look at the following picture:
IPB Image
Put your fingers on each side of the HDD, between the metal casing and the plastic bottom part and very slowly, start pushing your fingers in between and upwards, so it will give you enough angle to slide the Hard Drive out.
Here's another picture from a different angle.
IPB Image
Note how the base of the metal casing raises over the plastic stopper. That is what we want to accomplish.

Once that is done, and if you have the HDD in the same position as in the picture above, VERY slowly, start pushing the hard drive from the upper left corner, above the connector.
The cables will try and push the HDD back in, so by holding it with your index finger you can avoid that.
The picture below will give you a more graphic understanding of what to do:
IPB Image

When you slowly push the HDD out, the SATA connector will normally come lose from one of its ends like in the picture above. If it doesn't come off, grab a flat head screw driver, and carefully pry it out. Although, it shouldn't be necessary.
Once one of the connector ends came lose, push the other end of it with your finger, so it will come off completely, like in the picture below.
IPB Image

Now, you can slowly slide the 2.5" SATA HDD out of the metal casing.
Note in the picture above, that I removed the button with its metal spring in order not to lose it.

Once you slid the HDD out of its casing, this is what it looks like:
IPB Image

IPB Image
My hard drive is a Hitachi, but I've seen some Samsung SATA HDD's as well. Needless to say, that the brand won't make a difference in the way you extract it out of its metal casing.

STEP 2: Connecting your XBOX 360 HDD to your Computer through SATA Port.

NOTE: If your computer has external SATA connections, the only thing you have to worry about is of how to give the hard drive power. Mine doesn't have external connections, so I had to open it up.
Also, if your Mother Board doesn't have any SATA port, or if they're all being used, you will have to think in buying a "PCI to SATA" expansion card for your computer, for which you will need to have an available PCI slot in your motherboard.

Tools and accessories needed:

1) A Phillips screw driver (You may or may not need this, depending on your PC case design)
2) A SATA Cable.
3) A SATA Power cable.
4) A "PCI to SATA" Expansion card ( ONLY IF your Mother Board has no SATA ports available)

Turn OFF your computer, and start by taking the side panel off your PC. Normally, most PC's will have 3 Phillips screws holding the side panel, and when you remove them, you can slide the metal cover out.
Of course, there are a million different designs for computer cases, so I'll just show you what mine looks like with the panel taken off, in the picture below. And please, do not laugh at my cable routing dis-abilities.
IPB Image

Inside your computer, you will see your motherboard.
We are looking for a specific connection called SATA Port. And even though it may vary in color and location in the Mother Board, it looks like this:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

To connect your XBOX 360 HDD to your PC's SATA port, you'll need two things:

A Serial ATA (SATA) cable:
IPB Image
And a SATA Power Cable:
IPB Image

You have to connect your SATA Cable in your Mother Board's SATA Port, and the SATA power cable as well.

Now we connect both SATA Cable and SATA power cable to your XBOX 360 Hard Drive, like in the picture below:
IPB Image
It will only fit one way, so if it doesn't go in, you probably have to flip it the other way.

This is how I connected mine:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Mission accomplished for STEP 2. Now let's look at the next option:

STEP 3: Connecting your XBOX 360 HDD through SATA to USB Adapter.

This is by far, the easiest and faster way of connecting your XBOX 360 SATA HDD to your PC.

I bought my SATA to USB Adapter from Coolgear.com, and it worked like a charm.
I have to say though, that in 360gamesaves.com forums, members have found similar products much cheaper, that worked as well.

The only "Cons" of connecting with a SATA to USB adapter, is that it will decrease your transfer speeds greatly.
For example, with a direct connection to my Mother Board's SATA port, my XBOX 360's hard drive backup took about 35 minutes, and with the SATA to USB adapter, it took about 7 hours... Yeah! I know !.

UPDATE: My apologies. Aparently the statement before was my own fault. I was connecting the USB to SATA adapter to USB1 ports instead of USB2. So, last night, when I re-did my backup, this time with the USB 2.0 ports in my PC, and instead of the 7 Hrs. it took 45 to 50 minutes to complete the whole HDD backup. Just a "Heads Up" for people with USB 1 capabilities only.

The steps for connecting your XBOX 360 HDD with your SATA to USB adapter are very easy.

For the adapter I bought, you will need to have TWO (2) USB ports available to connect the two USB plugs in.
The red plug will give your HDD power, and the black plug will be DATA flow/transfer.

The pictures below will show you how:
IPB Image

IPB Image

STEP 4: Accessing your XBOX 360 Hard Disk Drive with Xplorer360.

It is as easy as it gets, and you only require 3 steps:

1) Download Xplorer360 from http://www.360gamesaves.com
2) Extract the file Xplorer360.exe from the .rar file.
3) Run Xplorer360.exe.

Below you will see pictures of the current version (to the date of this tutorial) of Xplorer360:

IPB Image

IPB Image

The first thing you should absolutely do, is a backup of your XBOX 360 Hard Drive with the "Backup Image" option in the "Drive" menu, before you even attempt to do anything else.

That is all folks, I hope it helps clear your minds of any doubts you had. And feel free to ask any questions regarding this tutorial.

Enjoy!!!

- Lord Magnus.

Thanks goes to:

Roofus & Angerwound of the 360GameSaves.com Team.

#2 Sting023

Sting023

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:10 AM

Would it be possible to make a cable that connects from the port on the external Hard Drive case and have the cable break out to the sata connector and the power connector so we wouldn't have to open the Hard Drive up to connect it to the pc, thus not voiding the warranty on the drive.

#3 Lord Magnus

Lord Magnus

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:18 AM

QUOTE(Sting023 @ Feb 22 2006, 10:17 PM) View Post

Would it be possible to make a cable that connects from the port on the external Hard Drive case and have the cable break out to the sata connector and the power connector so we wouldn't have to open the Hard Drive up to connect it to the pc, thus not voiding the warranty on the drive.

There is some projects in the works.

There is one of the members of 360gamesaves.com that ordered two prototypes to test. So far, his design is set up so you wouldn't have to open the HDD case, but you would still have to connect it through SATA to your motherboard.

But, once that is out, you could buy one of the adapters, like the one I used in this tutorial and connect it through USB port.

It's not really far, and if JoHnnyTK36 decides to comercialize his design, wich it has been his idea from the beggining, it would make it waaaaaay easier for people that only has laptop for example, or people that doesn't have SATA capable Motherboards.

Just keep your eyes open. It might take a while, but something will eventually come out for it. wink.gif

#4 EverReadyEverWil

EverReadyEverWil

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:32 PM

Does the backup just take the total space (even empty) amd back it all up? I noticed that my .bin was 18.6GB, and I know I 8GB left on my HD.

My SATA PCI card took less than 30 minutes to backup.

#5 Lord Magnus

Lord Magnus

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 03:19 AM

Yeah, it backs up the whole thing. Bit by bit dumping.

About the time it takes to backup. I tried in my faster computer and it was 27 minutes exactly.

So the time will differ depending on how fast your pc is.

#6 EverReadyEverWil

EverReadyEverWil

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 04:09 AM

I would have to personaly recommend RARing the file as it will compress all the empty data.

20,003,880,960 bytes Compressed into 7,453,281,460 bytes

Edited by EverReadyEverWil, 24 February 2006 - 04:12 AM.

#7 Lord Magnus

Lord Magnus

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 06:31 PM

Yeah... that's the way to go mate. wink.gif

Right now I'm still SO messing with my HDD and the image, that it's unconvenient for me to compress the image at the moment. But once I'm done, I'll do that.

#8 ruciz

ruciz

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:27 PM

would it be possible to take this backup image and write it to a larger HDD, like in the old xbox days?

#9 bLiTz 2k

bLiTz 2k

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:umoms

Posted 29 March 2006 - 01:15 AM

QUOTE(ruciz @ Mar 21 2006, 04:34 PM) View Post

would it be possible to take this backup image and write it to a larger HDD, like in the old xbox days?

nope, although the drives arent locked like the original xbox, the 360's bios/kernel(?) has certain protection in which only the specific model drive will work with the 360. So if you were to try a different model sata hdd it wont work (already been proved/tested). A bios/kernel patch (modchip) will be needed in order to accomodate this.

#10 Angerwound

Angerwound

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:08 AM

QUOTE(bLiTz 2k @ Mar 28 2006, 06:22 PM) View Post

A bios/kernel patch (modchip) will be needed in order to accomodate this.

Or a f/w hack of the destination hdd that reports invalid serial/model numbers. smile.gif

#11 tiduspk

tiduspk

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 10 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:45 AM

is this all for just 360 game saves?

#12 Lord Magnus

Lord Magnus

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE(tiduspk @ Mar 30 2006, 01:52 AM) View Post

is this all for just 360 game saves?

Nope.

You can also put your XBOX1 gamesaves into your 360's HDD, since the 360's memory card will not accept xbox1 saves.
This will save you some playing time, if you have gamesaves with unlocked features and don't want to re-play the game on your 360 just to have these features enabled.

#13 GH0STce11

GH0STce11

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/xGH0STce11x.jpg[/img]

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE(Lord Magnus @ Apr 27 2006, 06:31 AM) View Post

Nope.

You can also put your XBOX1 gamesaves into your 360's HDD, since the 360's memory card will not accept xbox1 saves.
This will save you some playing time, if you have gamesaves with unlocked features and don't want to re-play the game on your 360 just to have these features enabled.

what about the possibility of using modded xbox1 gamesaves on xbox360?

that should work, right?

#14 bigjimmy

bigjimmy

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:53 AM

it should work

Edited by bigjimmy, 18 May 2006 - 10:54 AM.

#15 robidy9

robidy9

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:18 AM

I have a question i know when you mod an xbox and you play xbox live you get banned... buy if you mod ur 360s hdd will u get band from xbox live or no because ur not actually modding it bedcause its still the same dash and everything. So do you think you'll get banned??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users