Photo

When Do You Think The Ps3 Will Be Released In Usa?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
110 replies to this topic

Poll: When do you think the PS3 will be released in USA? (3271 member(s) have cast votes)

When do you think the PS3 will be released in USA?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#46 Foe-hammer

Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, body building, video games
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:28 AM

QUOTE(-Spud- @ Feb 24 2006, 04:38 AM) View Post

I love my Xbox and I aint no PlayStation Fanboy either, it's just common fact they do better games.

rolleyes.gif

Common fact?........ more like opinion; your statement suggest the you are indeed what you say you are not.

And you name one game that supposedly is inferior on the xbox, while over 90% of cross-platform games look and play better on the xbox. Now that is "Common Fact".

Edited by Foe-hammer, 25 February 2006 - 03:32 AM.

#47 ferrari_rulz_02

ferrari_rulz_02

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,395 posts
  • Interests:my girfriend, then the xbox<br />and yes, it is in that order
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:37 AM

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Feb 25 2006, 01:35 PM) View Post

And you name one game that supposedly is inferior on the xbox, while over 90% of cross-platform games look and play better on the xbox. Now that is "Common Fact".

yeah, i agree. it is a well known fact that the xbox is easier to code for then the ps2, somethign the devolopers loved

#48 BadNinja3

BadNinja3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:36 AM

i think the ps3 will release(whereever it does) around q1 2007. but personally, im planning to get the revolution if nintendo gets the controller to work good b/c to me, console gaming is all about multiplayer, and nintendo does pretty good with that. also, if i ever want to play a graphically amazing first person shooter, i can just boot up my computer.

console games are meant for multiplayer. whoever has more good multiplayer games will win the war.

#49 ComputerTech

ComputerTech

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:I love xbox, computers, and I am a certified private pilot so I love flying too!
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 25 February 2006 - 05:44 AM

Who cares when its released. The 360 is all I need.

#50 deacon187

deacon187

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 09:18 AM

i hope it releases Q4 2006, only because i have some live expectations for the system, i work for a bank and well sometimes, the managers may have their own preferences depending where this exact branch may be located and a few woman simply are hard core gamers, an 05-07-06 release is perfect for me, 05-07-06 will be fine with the release of graw,

#51 ronetone

ronetone

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:19 PM

september-december 2006 just in time for x-mas biggrin.gif

#52 Jinkz

Jinkz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 February 2006 - 08:22 PM

100% not this year, the hardware won't be finalised for ages, I expect a mid 2007 release.

#53 SigmaXIX

SigmaXIX

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE(Jinkz @ Feb 25 2006, 08:29 PM) View Post

100% not this year, the hardware won't be finalised for ages, I expect a mid 2007 release.

I have to agree.
This time last year, we had a very definite idea of the Xbox 360 specs, and some pretty good indications (pictures) of the finished product. I do not think people can really say they know what the PS3 is going to be about.

A damning task will be to program for the proprietary "Cell" processors. It will be a different computing architecture from what computer scientists are used to, and how do you create an in-house SDK for distribution across 7 in-line processors? I also think it will take much much longer for the gaming industries to get the full capacity of "Cell", putting the release of games even farther out. At least MS and other developers could get the job done with some G5 Mac experience, well ahead of time.

The delays in Blu-Ray, rumors of Japan-only online WA!PS3 serivices, hurdles in software programming, manufacturing capacity, and the questions about IF the PS3 will really ship with a HDD are just some of the difficulties I have in believing a "December 2006" launch-date.

If we are "lucky", PS3 will have a holiday 2006 release in Japan. If things continue along the course of delays, feature-cuts, and balooning production costs, I say the US will not get a PS3 this year, whatsoever.

Just imagine what type of bugs a PS3 will have, as unnecessarily complicated and "new-age" the technology is fueling that system. I doubt even Sony knows how to debug effectively with their "Cell" processor.

Quarter 1 2007, at earliest.

#54 The Bat

The Bat

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:54 AM

My 2, which is mostly from info that drifts my way and guessing, says late 2006 for Japan at the earliest. Why?

For starters, Sony typically is a bit noisier in their promotion of the finished product when it's only months away. Sure, Sony is likely being quieter than usual right now, but there have been reports of Sony's third parties facing financial risks and losses because even they don't know when the PS3 will ship, or in what numbers. It's kind of hard to base sales figures of your 8 figure game when you don't know that much.

Retailers also need several months between when they find out exactly what they can order for their stock, and how many to order, and the time it actually hits their retail outlets. Factor in the typical delay between when Sony releases in Japan and when they release in the US, and a US Fall 2006 launch seems remote, at best. That is, unless they repeat MS's tactic of a global launch at year-end to get the '06 holiday sales, and face the lack of stock that goes with it.

But wait, there's more! Didn't we recently see the first demoes of the first high definition DVD players a little over a month back? The cheapest self-contained Blu-Ray player was $1,000, by a Sony third party. If Sony were to release a direct competitor to that player, which could also play the latest console video games, at half the price, don't you think that Sony third party would be more than a little pissed off?

Sony is currently the main player in this industry, commanding a rather large lead in sales and support over MS. In the coming months, we'll likely see the normal Sony tactics of overblown specs, with images of games in development, and a first glance at actual hardware instead of "artists conceptions", of such hardware as the console casing. Sony is likely banking on that lead to carry them through.

The actual launch hardware, and this is again 100% guesswork, might not have as many things bundled in with the console itself as what's currently believed. The cell processor, and the graphics card, and the Blu-Ray drive won't be cheap, and even subsidizing those costs with losses of hundreds of dollars per console may not cover it. In fact, I can picture the PS3 launch as being similar to the 360 Core system launch. The HDD will be a seperate component, and wireless controllers will be available as an extra, with wired controllers being the standard. Blu-Ray games will be playable, but the BIOS may be set up to not allow Blu-Ray movie playback without the purchase of an additional dongle, much like DVD playback with the first XBox.

And if you want those extras? Well, you'd have to purchase them from Sony and from Sony's licensed partners. And the approach may be a quasi-repeat of the movie playback which was build into the PSP, which Sony also sold initially at a loss of hundreds of dollars. In the same way that you had to pay $30 to watch a stripped down version of a $20 DVD movie on your PSP, I'm guessing that they'll sell the "missing" PS3 peripherals at a much higher cost than they cost to manufacture.

And if Halo 3 isn't ready by then, or even if it is, expect MS to counter with a price drop for the 360. It wouldn't surprise me if, as far as sales ratios go, we see a repeat of the Genesis/SNES days with the two leads trading the <2% sales lead a few times per year. And if Nintendo's gamble on their new styled controller and their retro library doesn't pan out, they'll be the next TurboGrafx.

#55 sentinel0

sentinel0

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 26 February 2006 - 06:24 AM

I think some where in early 07. They still havn't got anything close to a final price and manufacturing cost are some where around 800-900 bucks. I sure that problem will have to be address before anything else. That means going back over hardware and bean counting and that's going to take some time.

#56 KingViper

KingViper

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:10 AM

Hmm.

MS is taking approx. $300 loss on each premium console sold.

If the PS3 really costs around $850 to produce, and they sell it at $400, they'll be losing $450 per console. Sony may have deep pockets, but they do not have as deep of pockets as M$. That means they are either going to drop hardware, or sell it for more, OR like we see with the 360, do what The Bat said, and sell all the accessories for an absurd amount. M$ makes like $35 per wireless controller, so if Sony sells wireless controllers, and a blu-ray adapter, and a harddrive, and software for online play, and Highdef cables for both of your outputs etc. etc. etc.

So, if they sell it at a higher cost, lets say...$450, plus if you want Blu-Ray playback you've gotta drop another $40, and you need another controller at least another $50, and you need a harddrive at $100, and what good would the console be without a $60 game, plus some highdef cables to even get HD (will they include them?) $30, we're lookin at like around $700+ just to get the damn thing up to par with 1 game.

Lets not forget sales tax on a $700 item. So, I've got the $400 Xbox 360 (maybe a price drop by then) with a plethora of games, media capabilities, online everything....why in the hell would I want a PS3, I dont care if they do come out with some nice games, I wont be buying it till its been dubbed the PSThree and has fixed any initial problems with blu-ray (because we would essentially be beta testing 1st generation blu-ray), officially dropped harddrive support for the second time, and changed the controllers from looking so gay.

Good job sony.

#57 LVmOddER

LVmOddER

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Playing games but mostly PGR3, Modding, and most of all XBOXES
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:06 AM

I have a family member that is on the PS3 development team and he said that we should expect a launch around the end of this year or begining of 07. The best thing about this is that I don't have to wait in the cold to get my hands on one. tongue.gif

#58 Owtlaw333

Owtlaw333

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  • Location:Orange County, CA (Stop calling it &quot;the OC&quot;!)

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE(LVmOddER @ Feb 25 2006, 11:13 PM) View Post

I have a family member that is on the PS3 development team and he said that we should expect a launch around the end of this year or begining of 07. The best thing about this is that I don't have to wait in the cold to get my hands on one. tongue.gif

Don't get ur hopes up... M$'s dev team had ta wait longer than the public to get one for themselves.

#59 The Bat

The Bat

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:18 PM

One more reason why Sony is likely experiencing a lot of head-aches these days is the upcoming Blu-Ray / HD-DVD battle. The New York Times has a fairly lengthy article on the battle at http://www.nytimes.c..._r=1&oref=login, and the various bumps that MS and Sony (among others, of course) face in the coming months. You'll have to use ** used to abuse XS time and again ** to get the login credentials.

Btw, this doesn't mean by itself that one side will win or that the other will be decimated. But what it does mean is that Sony may be willing to go further than they otherwise would in order to help sustain the format. And if that means losses of over $400 per console sold, and releasing a smaller library of games barely past Beta form (and nothing else) at launch, they will. That would provide an instant large® base for the Blu-Ray format, even if most of those PS3s are only used for playing Blu-Ray movies. But in the process, they'd lose a lot of momentum and hype in the console wars.

Like I said, it's one more reason why there's bound to be plenty of head-aches at Sony's corporate HQ. The PS3 likely will not have the sustained pre-launch buildup of the PS2, at this rate.

#60 BadNinja3

BadNinja3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 11:11 PM

imho: sony should sell the ps3 with a bluray drive. and have blueray games and blueray movies locked. then sony would sell an encrypted(so it cant be coppied) code to unlock each option for like $50 each. the code would be locked to each memory card or in an onboard memory bank. then the ps3 would launch with games that only use dual layer dvd's and ps2 architecture(b/c the ps3 is backward compatable). that would give sony(and friends) time to work on bluray and time to teach the cell processor architecture to the game creators.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users