PlastiKK_

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 April 2003 - 04:57 PM

OK, I'm totally new to Linux. I just got Gentoo-X (Home) yesterday. I don't know how to install any programs or games that I get from the internet. Infact, I can't do anything.

I have a linux game that I downloaded onto my PC. How do I install it and play it on my Xbox using gentoo?

I noticed there was a media player in gentoo. If I want to play music/movies what directory do I put it in on my Xbox?

Thanks

#2 Jewish

Jewish

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 07:35 PM

I'm clueless also sad.gif

#3 mojojojo

mojojojo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 07:50 PM

i think you can go into a term and type : mount /mnt/cdrom
then your mplayer should be able to browse your dvd drive.
i also had to chmod 777 f to browse f as gentoox[user]as it could only be read if you were in root.
hope this helps

#4 PlastiKK_

PlastiKK_

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 10:21 PM

That maybe helped. It probably did more along the lines of confusion though.

mount /mnt/cdrom

That will allow me to view the DVD drive correct? Then could I transfer a game to a folder or install a game somehow?

i also had to chmod 777 f to browse f as gentoox[user]as it could only be read if you were in root.

You got me on that one. I have no idea what the fudge you are talking about.

#5 mojojojo

mojojojo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 11:42 PM

yes mount /mnt/cdrom will allow you to access the dvd drive also i assume that you want access to f(the extra partition evox makes) in fatx ,i for exzample have a folder called digital_media that i set up for xbmp located in my f partition,however when i tried to browse the fatx f in gentoox(user mode) i did not have permission so i used the commamds:(while using putty as root)
cd /mnt/fatx/f
(enter_key)
chmod 777 f
and now i can access the fatx f in user mode

Edited by mojojojo, 28 April 2003 - 11:53 PM.

#6 PlastiKK_

PlastiKK_

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 12:21 AM

cd /mnt/fatx/f
(enter_key)
chmod 777 f

OK, so I enter that and I can use my f drive. Then can I play linux games and other programs that I have installed on my f drive?

#7 ZoMbi146

ZoMbi146

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 06:35 AM

not to sound stupid where do i type this in at?what text window, the same place as bash stuff?

#8 a weasel

a weasel

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:my balls
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 30 April 2003 - 06:49 AM

id imagine the konsole

#9 SweeneyTodd

SweeneyTodd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 04:41 PM

Guys, if you don't know Linux, you shouldn't be installing Gentoo. Go get a distribution of Ed's Debian. Gentoo requires you to compile any applications you want to from scratch on your XBox, which can take tens of hours.

The guy who did this release says as much in his readmes and on this board -- Gentoo is for people with advanced Unix knowledge.

#10 PlastiKK_

PlastiKK_

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 12:44 AM

Guys, if you don't know Linux, you shouldn't be installing Gentoo. Go get a distribution of Ed's Debian. Gentoo requires you to compile any applications you want to from scratch on your XBox, which can take tens of hours.

The guy who did this release says as much in his readmes and on this board -- Gentoo is for people with advanced Unix knowledge.

Holy fuck on a stick. I thought gentoo was for retards like me. Apparently I was wrong. With Ed's Debian will it make my HDD (e or f) unusable for Xbox games?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users