dreddly111

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:45 AM

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I have an unmodded xbox, Thompson DVD drive and 1.6 power supply with a Seagate Ace Hard drive.

When booting it loads the xbox logo, gets to the 'MS' underneath the logo and just hangs. It doesn't have any error codes and the green light stays green. I picked up this xbox to hotswap it, and it gets detected but remains locked when I run xboxhd. When I tried to hotswap, the light stayed green even after quite a while - no flashing red/green error light.

If I put a retail game in the drive, it boots can run for a bit, but eventually gets read errors. I know the Thompson is a not great, but I am wondering if that is enough to hang the booting.

At this point i don't even care if the xbox has a dvd drive, I am going to be setting it up with xbmc for network use only.

So I guess the question is, any ideas on why it is hanging? Or is there any way to run the xbox without a dvd drive? I mean the next thing I will do is boot with my samsung from my other xbox, but ideally I would run xbmc without a drive at all (if the thompson is the problem).

thanks,
dreddly

#2 H2O Blackout

H2O Blackout

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:51 AM

Everytime I just mod it and Get a new hard drive. thats seems to always work for me.

#3 smokingmods

smokingmods

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:31 AM

yes you can run with out a dvd rom, you just have to use the correct modded bios for it. check the slim console posts here, they all removed the dvd drive, but you have to use a special modded bios to remove the check for the dvd rom.

#4 dreddly111

dreddly111

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:13 AM

Thanks for the advice guys.

I managed to get it to boot a retail game and that let me get into the hard drive. Looks like the last person tried a softmod and royally messed it up. In either case I got it working by using the game's unlocking ability to hotswap.

thanks again for the advice, it seems to be running well enough now.

#5 only2braincellz

only2braincellz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:58 AM

Its the power supply. I had the same thing happen twice. The HDD isnt getting enough power to boot, it unlocks then thats it.

#6 xboxgamer733

xboxgamer733

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE(only2braincellz @ Feb 28 2006, 12:05 AM) View Post
Its the power supply. I had the same thing happen twice. The HDD isnt getting enough power to boot, it unlocks then thats it.
But usually, what prevents the Xbox from loading past the MS logo is a software issue, namely missing or corrupted font files or the actual dashboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users