40 replies to this topic

#31 Joergen

Joergen

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:38 PM

I have the launch version of the saturn with those pads and I remember the sharp round thingies digging painfully into my thumb in some sweaty virtua fighter matches.. especially with VF2 one of those bank teller's rumbber thumbs woulda been handy.

The worst was Tomb Raider when it was the most next gen game ever, 3 weeks of playing it straight after christmas took its toll on the dpad thumb.

Bytheby the ABC XYZ controller was introduced on the Megadrive/Genesis just for Super Streetfighter II and select other games then used it also. I was happy to see the xbox duke having almost the same configuration of buttons but the S and now finally the 360 controller took it back to the SNES configuration.

Also with the sega controllers you could also hit one row of buttons with your thumb (A+B+C) which is something much harder to do with todays controllers and afaik no game uses three face button moves these days?

Edited by Joergen, 02 March 2006 - 09:42 PM.

#32 Shinamano

Shinamano

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:04 PM

I was (and still am) a big Sega and Street Fighter Fan. When the Saturn in all of its 2D glory came out I have never needed another controller for a 2D fighting game again...

The Dreamcast allowed easy connection of the Saturn controller and the Xbox also had an adapter to accomidate the greatest controller ever...here is hoping that someone does the same for the 360...

As for classic controllers there is a company (cant think of the name) that will take old controllers and hook them up with USB ports...I wonder if we will be able to use them on the 360...it would be cool to have a SNES and Saturn Pad rocking old school games on XBLA.

#33 metaldevil

metaldevil

Webhead

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:45 PM

I think the only thing that would keep me from buying a better controller for the 360 is if it's wired. It'd be like taking a step forward while falling backwards.

#34 miggidy

miggidy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE(Joergen @ Mar 2 2006, 09:45 PM) View Post

I have the launch version of the saturn with those pads and I remember the sharp round thingies digging painfully into my thumb in some sweaty virtua fighter matches.. especially with VF2 one of those bank teller's rumbber thumbs woulda been handy.

The worst was Tomb Raider when it was the most next gen game ever, 3 weeks of playing it straight after christmas took its toll on the dpad thumb.

Bytheby the ABC XYZ controller was introduced on the Megadrive/Genesis just for Super Streetfighter II and select other games then used it also. I was happy to see the xbox duke having almost the same configuration of buttons but the S and now finally the 360 controller took it back to the SNES configuration.

Also with the sega controllers you could also hit one row of buttons with your thumb (A+B+C) which is something much harder to do with todays controllers and afaik no game uses three face button moves these days?

Here's the Japanese version of the Sega Saturn control pad!

IPB Image

As you can see, it's basically one of the 6 button Sega Genesis controllers that Sega brought out for Street Fighter 2. It's a little bit more ergonomic and has two shoulder buttons.
It's like perfect and is still a sought after pad.
Like I said, its such a popular pad that it prompted Sega to re-release it for the PS2 to accompany its line of Sega Ages PS2 titles.

I was pissed when Sega ditched the 6 button face design when the Dreamcast launched.
When they said the reason was for simplicity purposes, a nasty feeling came to my stomach as I realized it was the end of 6 button faced controllers sad.gif

Edited by miggidy, 02 March 2006 - 11:59 PM.

#35 Shinamano

Shinamano

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 02:49 PM

The lack of 6-button layouts bothers me as well...

I do still prefer the pad i posted, but the other is a close second.

#36 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 03 March 2006 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE(metaldevil @ Mar 2 2006, 04:52 PM) View Post

I think the only thing that would keep me from buying a better controller for the 360 is if it's wired. It'd be like taking a step forward while falling backwards.

If you have the skills and a controller large enough you should be able to hack up a wireless 360 controller and say, make a joystick connect to the 360 wirelessly.

I'm planing a mod along those lines myself (hence the request in the sig).

#37 metaldevil

metaldevil

Webhead

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 06:38 PM

I can do minor electronic modifications without difficulty (modchips and such), but I've never attempted anything of that caliber.

#38 dgrams2003

dgrams2003

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:39 PM

...where is streetfighter?

#39 LowProfileWurm

LowProfileWurm

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE(dgrams2003 @ Mar 3 2006, 01:46 PM) View Post

...where is streetfighter?

...at Capcom patiently waiting for release.

#40 Lizard King

Lizard King

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE(metaldevil @ Mar 3 2006, 12:45 PM) View Post

I can do minor electronic modifications without difficulty (modchips and such), but I've never attempted anything of that caliber.

It's not all that hard. I'm sure you've seen the tutorial for moving the shoulder button to the old Black and White positions, well, it's like that.....but on a grander scale.

I don't have a great understanding of electronics, so as soon as you get into logic I'm done. But basically, the Analog Joysticks are two axis potentiometers (variable resitors). I just measured the reistance at centered for X (Left and Right) and pushed all the way right and all the way left. I left the Analog sticks in, so when nothing was being touched, the joyatick was centered (If you removed the analog sticks, it would not be centered as resistance for X and Y would both be 0 (Left and Down I believe). So I ran a direct wire from the X stick ground to the left switch on the Happ Joystick and back to one of the pots pins (the one that measured changing resistance when the joystick is moved). Then I did the same with the Right side, but used 5v power to the right switch for the Happ Joystick and back to the measurable pot pin. Did the same for up and down, and added buttons... once tested, i added the other stick.

This is the mod I did for the original Xbox controller (at least what I remeber of it)...the wireless is different, and I actually used resistors and removed the analog sticks (for use in another project). I can't remember everything...a lot of things I did on the fly, and im surprised it worked so well. I had pics and text for a tutorial almost done, but a HD crash has killed my motivation. With SF2 coming though, I will need another stick..... hmmm....

Edited by Lizard King, 03 March 2006 - 11:21 PM.

#41 metaldevil

metaldevil

Webhead

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:45 PM

I'd love to see a tut if you get around to making another one. smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users