• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Dtmrt

Dtmrt

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:59 AM

I know many of us have been complaining about being shipped a refurbished unit as opposed to new one. I spoke to a cvs rep and he said the following, "I will be shipped either a new or refurbished units depending on what is avaliable at the time. However, don't be fooled by the word 'refurbished.' Refurbished consoles are full on NEW components, only the case is refurbished because the case is very expensive to make. So, even if it doesn't look like new on the outside, all the components inside are." Now, of course I am taking this with a grain of salt. In a few days, I'll see!!!

#2 C o s m o

C o s m o

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Interests:The Shocker, mudbutt, luge lessons, buggery.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:07 PM

That is interesting. And, any component not new on a console does make it a refurb, so all the important stuff could be new with a slightly used case.
This still won't satisfu some gamers, though.

#3 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:34 PM

it's been my experience that it's refurbished means the other way around.

Nintendo, for instance replaces the case on all of their refurbs because it costs next to nothing to do so. They also selectively replace internal components depending on what passes the various tests.

Cases are relatively cheap to make in bulk... They sell Faceplates for $20 yet they cost <$1 to manufacture (since they're manufacturing them in such bulk).

Heck they sell child's toys with twice as much plastic as the 360 for less then $5

Somehow I doubt the internal electronic components are somehow cheaper then a plastic case.

I'd say you had another MS rep talking out of the wrong orifice.

#4 sp4zzj4zz

sp4zzj4zz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 01 March 2006 - 04:11 PM

I've been told two different stories by two different reps.

The first rep, who didn't sound too sure of himself, said that it was a toss up as to which I would receive, a new unit or a refurb.

The second rep, who sounded a bit too sure of himself (eg: cocky), said that it would be horrible business for MS to send out refurb'd systems and that I should expect nothing less than a brand new console if my original was unable to be fixed in a timely manner.

I am now awaiting the box for my 2nd repair order, which should've been here on Monday, and its now 10am Wed. Heh. I guess it's time to dial up support again.

Either way, I honestly can't see MS replacing the guts of the console and not the cases, as stated above, its usually the other way around.

#5 Dtmrt

Dtmrt

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 07:57 PM

You guys may be right. That's why I am taking what the cs person said with a grain of salt. Both sides have a believable point of view. After reading many posts from individuals with worn looking boxing but smooth playing consoles, the cs person has a point. But then again, with so many people having to send theirs back a second and third time, you guys make much more sense. Like I said, I'll just have to wait and see how this one plays out in my case. I wish you all the best of luck.

#6 Dtmrt

Dtmrt

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:42 AM

Received my 360 today and so far so good. Of course, there is no way to tell whether or not the inards of the machine are new or not, but it is working well. The outer case looks brand new.

#7 sp4zzj4zz

sp4zzj4zz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE(Dtmrt @ Mar 3 2006, 02:49 AM) View Post
Received my 360 today and so far so good

Good stuff! Thats great to hear. May I ask what the MFR date of your new console is?

I can only hope that my 3rd console will be error free.

Edited by sp4zzj4zz, 03 March 2006 - 09:44 AM.

#8 Gummby

Gummby

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 04:42 PM

Just got my 360 back yesterday and it seems to be a new one, the unit had all the little stickies over the DVD rom and the IR port. I know it's not my console because I got mine launch day and this one has a MFG date of Jan26 06. Everything seems to be running OK (mind you my last one held out for exactly 90 days) and as well this one seems to be a lot quieter than the original, the DVD rom doesn't sound like a jet engine once a game is loading.

#9 HaveMusic

HaveMusic

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:18 PM

I used to deal in electronic referbs. Most of the time we would just put new parts inside the old case and ship it back out to stores to sell as scratch and dent. So what I am trying to say, is by you buying a refurb from a major company, most parts inside are new... Now with the Orginal xbox not being made this might not hold true. I know Gamestop and some other Electronics stores that deal in used and refurb units. They are doing their own refurbing.

#10 Dtmrt

Dtmrt

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:28 PM

The date on the console that I received back from MS is 12/03/05, so like I said, I can't tell if it's new or not because I'm sure as heck am not going to open it lol. But I remember on my launch unit how the power button, when pressed, would have like a 'click' to it, I mean, you could feel the button being pressed to turn the unit on. On the unit MS sent me, the power button is like the one on my newer unit 1/19/06...the button has a 'smooth' and no 'click' feel to it. Hence, perhaps MS did replace the faulty components with new ones but in a used case. At any rate, I don't care if it's new or refurbished, I just want it to be stable, durable and work when I want to play my games!!

#11 autoxerFSP21

autoxerFSP21

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 12:49 AM

I recieved a refurbished console after my original crapped out.

It was scratched and stained. There was a cover over the IR port but nothing else. I also noticed that the dvd drive did not sit flush with the faceplate when closed. Needless to say, I wasn't happy upon inspection.

I hooked it up and was going through all the setup when the screen froze with a bunch of lines on it and then after reboot I would only get the 3 red lights (error code 21). It looked to me like some moron at MS unpackaged some 14 year old's Xbox 360, hooked up the console and when it displayed the setup up screen he said "Dis one here is good to go Frank."

#12 LESTAT

LESTAT

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 04 March 2006 - 07:56 AM

once the boxes that are sent back as overheating or plain ol dead are fixed and then sent out, once thsoe are gone or out of stock i have to assume that the only logical replacement is a new one.

and the cost to make a new case.... thats bullshit... that dumb ass tech was only telling you that to calm youdown about getting a refurb unit back...

let me set the record straight with you kiddies about the definition of refurb.

refurb no matter what market your in. is exactly this.

when an item is brought in it is tested, the test time varies from company to company but generally it is tested for full functionallity and also for the issue it was replaced for.
if the issue does NOT show up they deam it usable and they clean it up.. reformat the hard drive reflash the firmware.. and repackage it as a refurb REGARDLESS if there is truly and issue or not... if they cant make the issue happen then in their eyes there never was an issue.

IF there is a visible issue with the unit, IF there is a fix they will fix it clean it up,, firmware hard drive yada yada and put it back into the refurb pool.

if its not fixable.. then it is torn down and most of the time the usable parts are removed and used in other refurbed units..
nothing is thrown away in this type of electronics that doesnt have to be.. why throw something away thats usable.. that would be totally retarded for them to do so.

I dealt with this when i worked at gateway on a daily basis..

refurbed is exactly that.. a refurbished unit.. checked for issues and if issues are found they are repaired...

make no mistake about it.. if you get a refurbed unit many times your getting someone elses crap.

one thing to remember with the xbox's that are refurbed.. the ehating and dvd rom issues were something that MS knew about well in advance of the lauch, this isnt something that just happened,, this type of issue doesnt just come out of the blue.. It is cheaper for Ms to launch the xbox and replace the units that are bad, then it is to delay the launch and put more time and money into the R&D of the unit... thats just the facts. and they are undeniable.

anyways.. i would truly hate to have to send mine back and get a refurbed. even though i have purchased SEVERAL refurbed xbox 1 units and never ever had an issue.

i wouldnt feel so bad since they proved to have a fair refurb group but its still the point of paying all this money for a new unit thats totally shit,, and sending it back and getting someone elses junk....

Edited by LESTAT, 04 March 2006 - 07:59 AM.

#13 Dtmrt

Dtmrt

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 08:21 AM

Good post lestat and there is no substitute for experience(you working at gateway and all). I agree with you totally about buying a new unit and receiving a refurb...doesn't seem fair at all...in fact, it isn't lol. I guess I just lucked out because this unit looks like it's brand new. Oh well, I everyone's experience will vary, I guess. But honestly, MS has us over a barrel. I mean, unless you bought your 360 at costco or something, you basically have no choice but to send your unit to MS. Sure, you can get a plan at eb games or bestbuy or wherever, but they don't have any in stock. And some people are on their third or fouth system and I have a hard time believing that eb or best buy are going to let you keep coming in and exchanging your faulty 360. I'll keep my fingers crossed and I'll see what happens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users