Tie Wrap

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:04 AM

This is always been the battlecry for critics who's not fond of games. Have read this article Konami's Crime Life: Gang Wars

In my own point of view, this type of an advert should not be taken out for public viewing since we dont have control of our viewers. Specially this game was based in a real life situation. And to top it all, majority of our viewers are young adults and even children. ASA should set a standard to filter this advert before it will be release. Just for precautionary purposes.

What do you think?

Post your opinions here...

#2 linksmechanic

linksmechanic

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:16 AM

If your kids don't know the differance between right and wrong then they shouldn't be playing video games. Using Games, Movies and I never got attention is not an excuse to go out in public and be a menace!

#3 revs

revs

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:41 AM

If games promote violence then so do Films, Music, TV, Books and all forms of media.

Obviously what we have to do is remove all media, and control it - ala 1984

#4 VariableElite

VariableElite

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:54 PM

The only game to tend to provoke violence in myself is Dead or Alive 4.

AFter the 10th time in a row of getting owned by a 10-hit combo that takes away most of my character's health, I have been tempted to throw my controller through the following:
  • my Samsung HDTV
  • a wall
  • a window
  • another wall
  • whoever just knocked on my bedroom door as I was starting to win
  • the ceiling

I actually bit the controller one time (think Shaun of the Dead and his phone).

A friend, who actually played the game long enough to unlock the Spartan, informs me that he was considering controller abuse as well.

#5 metaldevil

metaldevil

Webhead

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 06:12 PM

Are you going to shield your children from everything?

Thinking that entertainment promotes violence is complete nonsense. It's selfish to think that an advertisement should be rated in order to shelter little children. How ignorant and self-absorbed can people get?

Should we barter the power of the First Amendment for our comfort? Absolutely not.

As an adult, you need to learn tolerate the things you dislike. Otherwise, everything would be rated or prohibited because of some dumbass whom it offended.

#6 653dan

653dan

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 03 March 2006 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE(Tie Wrap @ Mar 3 2006, 11:11 AM) View Post

This is always been the battlecry for critics who's not fond of games. Have read this article Konami's Crime Life: Gang Wars

In my own point of view, this type of an advert should not be taken out for public viewing since we dont have control of our viewers. Specially this game was based in a real life situation. And to top it all, majority of our viewers are young adults and even children. ASA should set a standard to filter this advert before it will be release. Just for precautionary purposes.

What do you think?

Post your opinions here...

yeah, censor it and all the world's problems will go away.

i think not!

#7 Mjkthirdeye

Mjkthirdeye

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE(VariableElite @ Mar 3 2006, 07:01 AM) View Post

The only game to tend to provoke violence in myself is Dead or Alive 4.
AFter the 10th time in a row of getting owned by a 10-hit combo that takes away most of my character's health, I have been tempted to throw my controller through the following:
  • my Samsung HDTV
  • a wall
  • a window
  • another wall
  • whoever just knocked on my bedroom door as I was starting to win
  • the ceiling
I actually bit the controller one time (think Shaun of the Dead and his phone).

A friend, who actually played the game long enough to unlock the Spartan, informs me that he was considering controller abuse as well.

lol I hear that DOA4 makes my blood boil sometimes.

#8 CattyKid

CattyKid

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts
  • Interests:Everything

Posted 04 March 2006 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE(metaldevil @ Mar 3 2006, 12:19 PM) View Post

Are you going to shield your children from everything?

Thinking that entertainment promotes violence is complete nonsense. It's selfish to think that an advertisement should be rated in order to shelter little children. How ignorant and self-absorbed can people get?

Should we barter the power of the First Amendment for our comfort? Absolutely not.

As an adult, you need to learn tolerate the things you dislike. Otherwise, everything would be rated or prohibited because of some dumbass whom it offended.

EXACTLY my view. Just because some mom doesn't like shooting games and she thinks it's going to make her kid violent she wants to make EVERYONE think that they are going to make kids violent? Or violent movies.?
I tell you this: I'm 16 and have played Goldeneye since it's been out, Doom, Wolfenstein, Mortal Kombat, Turok, Halo, all that junk and I've never so much as punched someone (in a malicious way of course, I do in the joking way). Same thing with movies.
Parents have to judge whether their kid can differentiate real from fake. I don't know how a kid could think a game was real and I think that's a load. Just an excuse.

As to the DOA4 comment, are you talking about that TOTAL SKANK at the end (Alpha 152?) who can simply dominate you every time if she wants?

#9 saunders73

saunders73

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 04 March 2006 - 12:48 AM

I believe it can't promote violence because you can easily tell the difference between the game and real life. Your looking throught a tv, with a controller and the graphics don't look real. I don't see how anybody can think that just because you shoot someone in the game you think its ok to do it in real life. It almost makes no sense

#10 ikecomp

ikecomp

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 01:24 AM

grr.gif Die ALPHA 152

DIE !!! grr.gif grr.gif grr.gif

#11 linkpwns

linkpwns

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 02:23 AM

QUOTE(linksmechanic @ Mar 3 2006, 04:23 AM) View Post

If your kids don't know the differance between right and wrong then they shouldn't be playing video games. Using Games, Movies and I never got attention is not an excuse to go out in public and be a menace!

i disagree with ur first statement...kids should be able to play video games, they just need to know right from wrong, but that doesnt mean that video games are bad!

the second statement is tru though, i have a friend who watches so many bruce lee movies that he tries to pull the stunts :0

#12 JMan8108

JMan8108

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 04 March 2006 - 05:44 AM

Ive read there have been over 3000 studies all showing that violent games promote violence in real life. Its not about the persons judgement and knowing the difference between right and wrong but more of a subconscious thing.

#13 sp4zzj4zz

sp4zzj4zz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:14 AM

Same old argument....

Does art imitate life, or does life imitate art?

A little of both, as I'd hope most informed individuals would say.

One of my favorite quotes to date is from Ani Difranco,
"Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV", and that's the absolute truth. Maybe not with older children reered well, but with the younger ones, you can not escape this. If any of you have ever lived with a 2 year old, while you were an adult, especially a 2 year old who is allowed to watch whatever he/she wishes, then you KNOW this to be true. Pre-Operational child development stages are all about "identification" and "imitation".

While I am against censorship in any way, I leave it upon the parents to dictate what and what not a child can or should watch.

#14 CattyKid

CattyKid

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts
  • Interests:Everything

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:49 AM

QUOTE(JMan8108 @ Mar 3 2006, 11:51 PM) View Post

Ive read there have been over 3000 studies all showing that violent games promote violence in real life. Its not about the persons judgement and knowing the difference between right and wrong but more of a subconscious thing.

In an analysis of the risk factors of youth violence by the Surgeon General of the United States of America, violent media is categorized as “Small Effect Size.” In fact, there are 27 risk factors rated higher than exposure to violent media, like socioeconomic status, academic failure, poor parent-child relations, weak social ties, and being male.

Source
I'm sure there are better sources than this, but this was the one that I could find fastest.

#15 mikedavis2838

mikedavis2838

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:49 AM

which claimed "it exploited racial stereotypes and glorified violence."

But, what would we watch if there were no racial stereotypes or glorified violence. Also, if anything exploits racial stereotypes and glorified violence it is rap music, which was portrayed in the ad a la D12

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users