Photo

Drivers For The Xbox 360 Wireless Controller.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Elemino

Elemino

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:12 PM

First, before some of you guys get your panties in a bunch, there IS a way to connect the wireless controller to a PC. There is a device called a Play & Charge Kit (PN: X11-22117-03) which will allow you to connect an XBox 360 controller to a USB port. I connected the kit to my PC, because I think I should be able to use my four $40 controllers from my $400 game system on my PC. I plugged in the controller and immediately XP says "USB Device found." However, I cannot get it to work. I tried downloading the drivers for the wired controller and still nothing. XP just sits there saying it knows something is there, but it doesn't know what. Are there ANY drivers out there for this thing? If not, can one of you computer geniuses get started on some custom ones? tongue.gif

Please, please tell me I don't have to buy a 5th controller just to have one to use with the PC.

#2 sp4zzj4zz

sp4zzj4zz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:31 PM

There is absolutley no data being transfered through the Play & Charge cable. The controller still sends data wirelessly when connected to the kit.

#3 DarkDeity

DarkDeity

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 04:41 AM

there is a way to connect it to your pc... with the P&C kit... but that willl only charge the battery... when the p&c kit is in it only charges the battery, and the computer recognizes it, it still operates as a wireless controller though

#4 Elemino

Elemino

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:00 PM

That sucks. With all those connectors in the wire they couldn't make it connect through the cable? I don't see the point, it's not like you can go too far with it hooked directly to the xbox anyway. Having a cable plugged into the xbox defeats the purpose of using wireless. Guess I'll have to buy one for the PC ONLY if I have store credit somewhere that I need to use up. I've already spent over $800 on this system.

#5 Casper1786

Casper1786

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 09 March 2006 - 03:29 PM

ya your pretty much outta luck, less you have extra time where your willing to RIP up a 360 and rob it for it's wireless receivers and them some how master rig them into your PC or somthin, then no man sorry. i'm also just hoping that after some time som1 will be able to replicate the signal with a USB receiver or somthin, that'd be sweet, I'd Get one forsure

#6 sheepie

sheepie

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:42 AM

there must be a way to either build reciver for the wireless pad or at least mod a revier from a pc wireless pad so it takes/connects wignals with the x360 pad.

micosoft are preety thick when it comes to thier hardware. they make the wired on compatible and the wireless one not compatible with. stupid when they have preety much made the best wireless pad out there

#7 Elemino

Elemino

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:06 PM

I refuse to believe there is absolutely no communication on these USB cables. Just a moment ago I plugged in the recharge kit (to the actual xbox) for the first time. When I plugged in the controller to the computer, the computer recognized something was there, but it didn't know how to use it. The controller did nothing, but the kit started charging the battery. When I plugged it into the xbox, nothing happened... at all. Strange, because I know the USB ports always have power. I used to charge my bluetooth earpiece on it with the USB power connection. So I press the power button, suddenly the kit's light turns on and the controller turns on as well! I didn't even press anything on the controller, but it knew somehow the xbox was turned on. It knew, and as I stated earlier, just giving it power does nothing to turn on the controller. So somewhere, there IS communication in this USB cable. HOWEVER... the only thing that setup a road block, is unplugging the USB cable does not disconnect or turn off the controller. Still, at least I've learned somewhere here there is communication through that cable and to the controller.

#8 Draeconix

Draeconix

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:45 AM

It's funny but I thought somewhere I read that when the P&C Kit was installed and connected that it killed the wireless connection. I might be wrong too. I think I read it in the P&C Kit manual, I still have it so I will check.

On the other hand, the controller may just be reacting to a signal sent through the cable. If you really want to know for sure, hack a P&C Kit apart and go at it with a Voltmeter. If the 360 is sending a signal it should be coming down all the wires not just one. Plus, I am thinking that there should be more than one wire in the cord. I just took a look at the connectors on my P&C Kit and it looks like it goes from 4 to 7 pins which means that it is not a standard USB connection being made. I am guessing that the extra pins on the controller connector are to distribute the flow of power evenly and perhaps to power the controller while the battery is being charged.

Maybe? I am just hypothesizing here so this isn't confirmed but it sounds plausible.

#9 Shadow152

Shadow152

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:32 PM

for all you guys who like me were wondering, YES THE WIRE DOES CARRY A SIGNAL, try taking the battery pack for the wire out or just attach it to a wireless controller with standard or no batteries and you will find the wire simply turns it into a wired controller!

#10 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,785 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE(Shadow152 @ Sep 10 2007, 09:08 AM) View Post

for all you guys who like me were wondering, YES THE WIRE DOES CARRY A SIGNAL, try taking the battery pack for the wire out or just attach it to a wireless controller with standard or no batteries and you will find the wire simply turns it into a wired controller!

110% Wrong. That only works on the 360 for starters and the controller is still transmitting RF, like it always does. The power from the PnC cable that charges the battery also powers the controller when it's plugged in, so nothing at all has changed as far as the operation of the controller, it just has no battery to charge in that case.

#11 Dominance

Dominance

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:45 PM

Ok, First it is not possible to use the P&C kit doesnt work, GET OVER IT

Second you dont have to buy a 5th contoller just buy a reciever from amazon.com for 20 bucks and use your wireless controller on your PC done'er then done

link here Amazon.com

Edited by Dominance, 24 March 2008 - 03:46 PM.

#12 brandogg

brandogg

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:20 PM

Third don't register just to bump topics from 6 months ago for absolutely no reason. I'm pretty sure everyone from this thread "got over it" last September.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users