• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Box Boy

Box Boy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:56 PM

People out there who have pot tweaked a thomson dvd drive I call for your help. I am having trouble with the ohm reading, every time I take the reading it comes out to 0. I realize I must be doing something wrong, but do I nessesarily need the ohm reading, or could someone help me out and tell me the angle you rotate the skrew counter clock wise.

#2 MMXMonster

MMXMonster

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Location:Latitude - 41 44' 00.21" N, Longitude 71 24' 25.37" W
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:09 PM

You absolutely need to take a reading... not just the intial reading before doing anything, but each tiny little movement you do on the POT. The first reading is for a point of reference, your starting point... in case you need to start over you know where to begin with. After that, you will turn it like a 1/16 of an inch... but dont go beyond the 850 I believe it says in the tuts... going to far will increase its noise level and also it's also possible for the laser to be too intense and cause irrepairable damage to the discs you attempt to read. Each pot is different... what worked for mine may not work for you. It's a total hit or miss deal.

#3 Box Boy

Box Boy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:22 PM

by starting over you mean like making it verticle again? Cause I did rotate it a little just to see if I could fix it (nothing really just a sliver)

#4 MMXMonster

MMXMonster

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:25 PM

Just a sliver as you put it can vary greatly from one sliver to another. You should have taken a point of reference so you would know where to start from if the drive became erratic or noisy you could take it back to the starting point.

#5 _iffy

_iffy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:04 PM

1/8 of a turn is like 2500ohms.

You need a multimeter.

setting the laser too powerfull could burn all your discs. Also please note that the more powerfull the
laser setting the shorter it's life span.

Make sure you are contacting the metel and not the plastic, or any other piece of metal.
When you use the multimeter set it to 2000ohms(or 200ohms i forget)
with the laser pointing up, contact bottom right point and the top left point on the pot.

*you can't do this without a multimeter.

#6 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:25 PM

Buy a new laser and save yourself some hassle.
Pot tweaking is a bodge carried out to compensate for other problems. It is (sometimes only) a short term crutch to prop up faulty hardware. resistance settings and such are all contrived theory from tweakers. There are no service adjustments listed for these pots in service literarture for DVD drives. They are factory set and thats the way they should be left.
If you tweak it too far you WILL NOT burn the discs (not sure where that one was pulled from) you could however do permanent damage to the laser, even running for only a few seconds. If you do the laser is history even if you put the pot back to the original setting.
Perform this at your own risk.

#7 MMXMonster

MMXMonster

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Mar 6 2006, 01:32 PM) View Post

If you tweak it too far you WILL NOT burn the discs (not sure where that one was pulled from)

Maybe it's one of those Techie urban legends, but I have read it in several guides... such as the one listed on llama.com

It seems the factory standard number is around 1700 the lowest number recommended to set the laser to 800. (remember the lower you set the pot the shorter the life of the laser and beyond 800 can damage the media you put in the drive)

#8 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:59 PM

Maybe it's one of those Techie urban legends, but I have read it in several guides... such as the one listed on llama.com

It must be like one of those things where someone says it happened and as time goes on it becomes set in stone.
The laser will die within seconds before it could burn a disc (don't forget the disc is not static either)
Also the Laser could in theory be outside Class 1 spec if tweaked.
I would get a laser or a drive they are reasonably priced now and widely available.

#9 Box Boy

Box Boy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:55 PM

Good news folks, I believe I succesfully did the pot tweak. Star Wars Battlefront works great now, I can play it more than 10 minutes at a time. WOO, None the less if my laser does die I hope it is far enough down the road that the backward compatibility is open for STB2. I figured out my problem, the tut skrewed me up by saying put your connectors on the screw and one leg, cause it was always 0 when i did that, but when i did what the picture was saying for the version of thomson drive I have, (putting the connectors on the legs on opposite sides, it worked fine. So all is well in xbox land, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users