• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 eli0001

eli0001

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:49 AM

How about porting a terminal client to the xbox? Most versions of WinXP already come with remote desktop support. You could completely use your PC from the Xbox. The Xbox is definately fast enough, and streaming a 640x480 desktop picture works even over wi-fi. The xbox could work like a thin client, when needed. Maybe someone could try to port rdesktop(open-source linux rdp client program). I have never programmed, but this seems like it could be done.

-Eli

#2 Potato Bob

Potato Bob

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:57 PM

well they xbox really would be more of a thinfat client because it is so big and heavy lol

but porting something to an xbox xbe should be possible but I doubt there is much need for it. Might as well use a slimmed down linux with rdestktop on it. or just buy an actual think client for the price of an xbox

#3 enderandrew

enderandrew

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:35 AM

What about porting something like VNC?

#4 torne

torne

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Reverse engineering, Linux, crazy operating systems voodoo, embedded development
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 April 2006 - 03:53 PM

Again, it would be easier to use a tiny Linux distribution with nothing but a VNC client (or rdesktop, if you wanted Windows RDP). It'd be possible to port VNC to run natively on the Xbox but wouldn't really gain that much over a single-purpose Linux image.

#5 ClintiePoo

ClintiePoo

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 12 April 2006 - 02:15 AM

QUOTE(torne @ Apr 6 2006, 10:00 AM) View Post

Again, it would be easier to use a tiny Linux distribution with nothing but a VNC client (or rdesktop, if you wanted Windows RDP). It'd be possible to port VNC to run natively on the Xbox but wouldn't really gain that much over a single-purpose Linux image.

Looks like this idea was 'torne' down. laugh.gif

#6 rally_elgen

rally_elgen

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 02 December 2006 - 08:17 PM

I have read about 5 Topics about RDP (thats all i was able too find when i serached)... and they all have one word in common.... "Linux" tongue.gif

Xebian , rdesktop seems too be the most popular application thats alredy is existing for xbox...

#7 pdidd

pdidd

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:19 AM

hey i got an idea!!! we might be able to get somewhere by not telling each other we are all idiots!!! what a great idea. seriously we will never port any windows os or anything by telling each other we are idiots and have no idea what we are talking about

#8 torne

torne

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Reverse engineering, Linux, crazy operating systems voodoo, embedded development

Posted 05 December 2006 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE(pdidd @ Dec 4 2006, 02:26 AM) View Post

hey i got an idea!!! we might be able to get somewhere by not telling each other we are all idiots!!! what a great idea. seriously we will never port any windows os or anything by telling each other we are idiots and have no idea what we are talking about

People's irrational desire to painfully port random things to run under the Xbox kernel is just a waste of effort for things that would be much more trivial to accomplish by just booting Linux (such as the topic of this thread).

None of the people who get shot down here are capable of *doing* the porting they suggest. They're posting here because they have a vague idea of something they'd like, and want someone else to provide it for them; we try and offer them alternatives that don't require us to stab ourselves in the face, but often they don't pay attention.

We will never port any Windows OS by telling each other we're smart and know exactly what we're doing either - you port stuff by *writing code*. If you want to see something ported, you know where to get a compiler. Do it yourself, if you want to show just how much better you are than those of us who recognise which tasks are easy and useful, and which are hard and unnecessary.

#9 jeffroiscool

jeffroiscool

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:10 PM

Well, it might be better if we port rdesktop or a vnc client to xbox, for a few reasons.
1. Speed gain.
2. It's annoying to look at your computer with linux and only be able to see 1/4 of your desktop unless you change you pc's resolution to 640/480,
3. We still have the overscan issues to make that 1/5 of the screen.
4. It's not hard to port.
5. The ppl who do it will get credit and earn their good place in the xbox scene developement wink.gif

#10 The Zep Man

The Zep Man

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 December 2006 - 12:06 PM

Did anyone of you ever install xDSL? You get rdesktop with it.

Sure, it's Linux and scary but it's the only thing that comes close to what you want.

QUOTE(jeffroiscool @ Dec 9 2006, 08:17 PM) View Post

Well, it might be better if we port rdesktop or a vnc client to xbox, for a few reasons.
1. Speed gain.
2. It's annoying to look at your computer with linux and only be able to see 1/4 of your desktop unless you change you pc's resolution to 640/480,
Can't rdesktop change the resolution of your computer automatically when it connects to Terminal Services? Also, it is possible with some Xbox versions to use 720p with Linux. Off course, this resolution might also be possible with a native Xbox application. The resolution of 1280x720 could be changed to 960x720 if you don't like a widescreen environment for your desktop. It would be quite close to 1024x768.

3. We still have the overscan issues to make that 1/5 of the screen.
This could be fixed by software scaling. The same method Xbox Media Center and some other homebrew programs use.

4. It's not hard to port.
Proof it. Otherwise, this statement is worthless.

5. The ppl who do it will get credit and earn their good place in the xbox scene developement wink.gif
Like I said, proof it. Make me proud!

Edited by The Zep Man, 10 December 2006 - 12:08 PM.

#11 torne

torne

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:36 PM

Indeed, Zep. wink.gif

What speed gain do you believe there is from running on the MS kernel as opposed to Linux, jeffro? There's no difference at runtime, and a purely ramdisk-based Linux (which will suffice for a distro built to run just a single application) takes well under ten seconds to start, which is fast enough for me.

You're missing the point, anyway - we're not claiming that there's no conceivable reason why you might want a ported app - there are some advantages, small though they may be. We're claiming that nobody else cares enough about those small advantages to do it for you. You're welcome to port anything you like, and if you ask nicely when you get stuck, we'll answer any questions you have too. smile.gif

#12 axboxed

axboxed

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:05 PM

the only thing i could see being a benifit of a native port would be that is has access to the graphics hardware acceleration.
Though i could not see anything else.
I would have to start on it.
Where could i get the source for one of these terminal clients?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users