X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

hi all,
i'm a newbie in xbox modding....
i just had a xbox few days ago and i'm trying to mod it
it has kernel 5713 and dashboard 5659

i have followed all the instructions, created the iso, burnt it, booted, hotswapped...

at prompt i start xbrowser and it works, finds the xbox hd in /dev/hda and start the file manager
i go in ndure folder, open it and start the ndure script...
at this point the problem...

i have just this as answer...:

looking for CD-ROM in /dev/hda...
looking for CD-ROM in /dev/hdb...
looking for CD-ROM in /dev/hdc...
looking for CD-ROM in /dev/hds...
looking for CD-ROM in /dev/hdt...
disk /dev/hda doesn't contain a valid partition table

and it stucks there...

i'm quite sure i have done all the steps in the right way... and that the xbox hd is unlocked
i have tried to do it with unlocked drive and the xbrowser doesn't even load...

so... i've tried million times and can't get forward this step...
can anyone help me?

thanks!

#1922 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

How many IDE ports are there on your PC motherboard? If you only have one then that's your problem, and you need to use xboxhdm 2.2 instead of xboxhdm 1.9.

#1923 loth77

loth77

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:40 AM

2 ide ports
it is an older machine

i also have a newer machine with just one ide, i wanted to try the 2.2, but i can't find a newbie proof tutorial that i can follow, so i was keeping my fight on the old computer.

have you got any suggestion... or a link to an easy to follow guide?

i have found this... http://forums.xbox-s...o...690646&st=0
but for me it is not easy to follow, too many steps are skipped for my few knowledge of this subject
(and also my not perfect english)

Edited by loth77, 06 February 2012 - 02:42 AM.

#1924 klokwyze

klokwyze

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:12 AM

great tutorial.... love using these systems for old emulator boxes.

ndure + xboxhdm + hotswapping = love.gif

thanks again!

#1925 loth77

loth77

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:02 AM

finally...!
it worked on a k6-2 400mhz machine that i have found in the basement...
no powersupply, no cd-rom reader, no hard disk, no nothing....
well... just the case with motherboard, cpu and 128 mb ram biggrin.gif

thanks smile.gif

#1926 immun

immun

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE(loth77 @ Feb 5 2012, 09:15 PM) View Post
looking for CD-ROM in /dev/hda...
looking for CD-ROM in /dev/hdb...
looking for CD-ROM in /dev/hdc...
disk /dev/hda doesn't contain a valid partition table

and it stucks there... i'm quite sure i have done all the steps in the right way... and that the xbox hd is unlocked

Same here. So I switched to another computer and it worked immediately. Sort of. Cause when I'd done a backup of C on E and selected 1 to start the 3-part update process it got stuck at part 2 with this:
CODE

Copying ndure files
cp: Read error: Input/Output error
Copying c drive backup to shadow
cp: cannot create directory 'xbox/hack/Audio' : Read-only file system
cp: cannot create directory 'xbox/hack/BiosCheck' : Read-only file system
cp: cannot create directory 'xbox/hack/NewBioses' : Read-only file system
cp: cannot create directory 'xbox/hack/Skin' : Read-only file system
cp: unable to open 'xbox/hack/evox.ini' : Read-only file system
cp: unable to open 'xbox/hack/evoxdash.xbe' : Read-only file system
cp: /CD/ndure/C/shadow/resc/*: No such file or directory
Part 3 of 3:
Done... now exiting

I figured it could not write the complete udate so I did a restore of the C Backup done previously. However, upon starting the xbox I got a service error 13. I deviated from this tutorial only in not Installing Updated Backup Script cause the link was dead and I figured, since my download of ndure 3.1 was newer than this tutorial referencing 3.0, it would have a newer script as well (had to strip the htm extension though).

Now what? How do I get this fixed? Trying softmodding/hotswapping again? I'd also like to upgrade to a 500 GB HDD in the process if possible. I'm a total Linux/Xbox newbie so please bare with me but wouldn't it be possible to extract the unlock key while in hotswap mode and write it to a blank HDD under Linux, copy over the necessary files and be done with it? Thanks for any pointers.

#1927 kenzo42

kenzo42

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:15 PM

Which Xboxhdm and Slayer's version do you recommend with NDURE3.1? Will Xboxhdm 1.9 work? Will Slayer's 2.7 work?

Thanks.

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Oct 9 2010, 10:22 AM) View Post

You simply don't need that step any longer - Kingroach's installer makes the script file for you. It's called ndure.htm, and you just have to rename it ndure (no extension). Run Kingroach NDURE 3.1, select your Kernel version under "Kernel Selection" and select "Create XBOXHDM Installer" - leave all other options at default.

Build your xboxhdm disc using the stock C from Slayers / AID / CASH (Slayers:\SYSTEM\All\c\, or AID:\Files\Dash\ms-c.zip, or CASH:\StockFiles\c\), and the Kingroach NDURE 3.1 files you just made. Rename ndure.htm to ndure (no extension), and place it in linux/ndure/ndure. Put the stock C in linux/C, and the Kingroach 3.1 files in linux/ndure (the Kingroach C and E directories and the ndure script should be immediately below this i.e. linux/ndure/C/ and linux/ndure/E/.)

Hotswap and run xboxhdm, select option 1 - boot VGA Console, then type xboxhd, then select option 2 - Rebuild C partition on existing Xbox drive. Once that has finished exit, then type xbrowser, run the ndure script, then select option 1.

#1928 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

Yes.
Yes.

#1929 kenzo42

kenzo42

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

Thanks for the reply Heimdall. Excuse me for the xpost.

"Hotswap and run xboxhdm, select option 1 - boot VGA Console, then type xboxhd, then select option 2 - Rebuild C partition on existing Xbox drive."

1) Is this part required for the softmod (above quote)? I ask b/c I've never seen it done this way before.
2) Do I back it up before doing this?

Thanks again.

Edited by kenzo42, 21 February 2012 - 10:47 PM.

#1930 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:57 PM

It's not required, but it's recommended in case your current dash isn't 5960, or you have remnants of an old softmod. A clean C partition is one less thing to go wrong with the softmod.

There's no point backing it up - you are about to replace it with a clean 5960 dash.

#1931 kenzo42

kenzo42

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:39 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Feb 21 2012, 10:57 PM) View Post

It's not required, but it's recommended in case your current dash isn't 5960, or you have remnants of an old softmod. A clean C partition is one less thing to go wrong with the softmod.

There's no point backing it up - you are about to replace it with a clean 5960 dash.

I guess the reason I ask about the backup is because it's what saved me on my last attempt at softmod which caused read/write errors.

I was able to restore my Xbox back to its original state and use it normally b/c of the backup through Ndure3.0 (option 4 I think), otherwise I think I would have been screwed (?).

My dash is 5960 and kernal is 4034.

Thanks again. Appreciate the help Heimdall.

#1932 kenzo42

kenzo42

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE(kenzo42 @ Feb 22 2012, 02:39 AM) View Post

I guess the reason I ask about the backup is because it's what saved me on my last attempt at softmod which caused read/write errors.

I was able to restore my Xbox back to its original state and use it normally b/c of the backup through Ndure3.0 (option 4 I think), otherwise I think I would have been screwed (?).

My dash is 5960 and kernal is 4034.

Thanks again. Appreciate the help Heimdall.

So I'd like to erase all the stuff I installed. I used Slayer's autoinstaller to install XBMC and all the apps. I didn't realize that the stuff was pretty outdated.

1) Can I just go in and erase everything under:

E:\Apps?
E:\TDATA\0face008\
E:\UDATA\0face008\

2) What should I backup before deleting stuff?

Thanks.

#1933 kenzo42

kenzo42

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:34 AM

QUOTE(kenzo42 @ Feb 28 2012, 07:07 PM) View Post

So I'd like to erase all the stuff I installed. I used Slayer's autoinstaller to install XBMC and all the apps. I didn't realize that the stuff was pretty outdated.

1) Can I just go in and erase everything under:

E:\Apps?
E:\TDATA\0face008\
E:\UDATA\0face008\

2) What should I backup before deleting stuff?

Thanks.

Anyone?

Really, I'd just like to uninstall everything I installed from Slayer's disc, except the softmod.

#1934 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

You should be able to delete the contents of those folders without problems. As far as backing up goes, the only thing you really need to back up is your EEPROM if you haven't already done so.

#1935 kenzo42

kenzo42

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

So I've decided I want to upgrade the hard drive to a larger 1 and do not want to clone anything that i installed from my stock 8gb drive.

Do i just get xboxhdm, copy my eeprom into xboxhdm eeprom folder, and use slayers stock c files? Do i still copy ndure files?

Better yet, is there a write up which doesnt include cloning files, rather a fresh install of a larger hd? Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users