Jeroen_JRP

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:38 PM

It's probebly asked before, but I don't have the time to read all the 24 pages at this moment sad.gif . The question is: how can I play/update/content Download on Live without being banned?

Thanks,
Jeroen_JRP

#362 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Computers
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 June 2006 - 04:20 PM

You don't have to read 24 pages, just reading the FAQ would have been enough.

Q: Can I still play on Xbox LIVE after installing this softmod?
A: Yes, just like with any other (current) softmod, you can coldboot your retail games and play them on Xbox LIVE. This works because the softmod does not load unless a retail disc is not found. When you coldboot your games, the retail disc is found and loaded. Your softmod never loads, so it looks like a normal Xbox.

Just boot your Xbox up with the disc already in the drive and play/download to your heart's content.

#363 Jeroen_JRP

Jeroen_JRP

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 16 June 2006 - 05:42 PM

Oops, I missed that bit rolleyes.gif , thankyou biggrin.gif

Jeroen_JRP

#364 TranceAddikt

TranceAddikt

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:14 AM

Ok so I have been trying to do this softmod all day yesterday. I understand what I am supposed to do and what it is doing. My problem is that after I do the hot-swap, I hit option 1 on the XBOXHDM screen and it does the scrolling text and then goes and sits at a black screen. When I do option 2, it does the scrolling text and stops with the following:

..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
...trying to set up timer (IRQ0) through the 8259A ... failed
...trying to set up timer as Virtual Wire IRQ ... failed
...trying to set up timer as ExtINT IRQ ... failed sad.gif.
Kernel Panic: IO-APIC + timer doesn't work! pester mingo@redhat.com
In idle task - not syncing

I have tried all methods of hot-swapping (i.e no dvd ide, audio track copy, then play from hd,), I tried it with the Xbox connector plugged into the HD as well as my PC connector. I have the Primary Master open for the Xbox HD with nothing else connected. And my dvd player is connected to Secondary Master with nothing else on that one as well. I have my S-ATA drive disabled and all other drives set to None. Nothing is connected Via USB, and my ethernet cable is in.
K:1.00.5838.01
D:1.00.5960.01
The tutorial is very straightforward so I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I suspect that my xbox HD is not unlocking, but I tried everything that was suggested here and other places for hot-swapping. I have a 300gb hard drive ready here to switch once I can get this softmod to work. I was also wondering if there is anyway to use other Linux unlocking utilities/tools to unlock this drive. Thanks in advance.

I am using the Ndure 3.0 installer with recommended options enabled. I don't have the .67 enabled as I will do this the next time around when I upgrade to the bigger HD. I tried using the updated Ndure script as well as the older one to no avail.

PC SPECS:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ processor
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo
2 GB OCZ DUAL Channel DDR400 PC3200 memory
Plextor Dual Layer DVD burner
Seagate S-ATA 250gb HDD
ATI Radeon x800XL PCI-E 256MB gpu with third-party drivers (omega drivers)
Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS Platinum (KX project drivers)
Windows XP Pro SP2

Edited by TranceAddikt, 18 June 2006 - 07:20 AM.

#365 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:53 PM

Sounds more like an XboxHDM bug than anything else. I would recommend using a different computer or trying XboxHDM safe-mode. I have no idea what any of those error messages mean, so I don't know how to solve that. It definitely looks more like an XboxHDM problem and not the unlocking/hard drive problem.

#366 la5942

la5942

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:44 PM

hey there,

I have used XBOXHDM to create a backup of my current xbox to the linux ISO. I am running XBMC(xbox media center) as a dash but did the backups via evox beforehand(all softmod, no hardware mods in this one). After making the cd and running it on my compatible 40gig HDD, doing all the necesarry procedures that it still wouldnt work in my xbox. I kept getting the error screen with the dash error numbers, i then by accident managed to get a game to load!(could get this to work every time just by putting the game disk in at the right time) guess what,it was splinter cell which could read the original savegame backup off my newly made HDD. Got into the linux softmod and copied the backups for the evox dash over FTP and then restored the dash. And voila, working HDD!

Anyone know if i can use live with this HDD or will it get me banned from live?It has been locked using the eeprom from my old HDD. The dash i have at the moment allows me to run games on live without being banned as long as the game is in the drive before coldstart, i just wanted to know if this was still the case with the new hdd as i dont want to be banned

Cheers

#367 derenkirby

derenkirby

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:51 PM

OK so i've followed all of the steps and i can't get this to work, i can't get the CD to boot and when i go to look at the CD in the explorer it says it is empty, the ISOrecorder program didn't work it came up with an error when it started burning so i used nero instead, nero said that everything burned succesfully.

if there isn't any way to get this working is there any other way to mod my xbox through hotswapping?

#368 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE(la5942 @ Jun 18 2006, 03:51 PM) View Post

hey there,

I have used XBOXHDM to create a backup of my current xbox to the linux ISO. I am running XBMC(xbox media center) as a dash but did the backups via evox beforehand(all softmod, no hardware mods in this one). After making the cd and running it on my compatible 40gig HDD, doing all the necesarry procedures that it still wouldnt work in my xbox. I kept getting the error screen with the dash error numbers, i then by accident managed to get a game to load!(could get this to work every time just by putting the game disk in at the right time) guess what,it was splinter cell which could read the original savegame backup off my newly made HDD. Got into the linux softmod and copied the backups for the evox dash over FTP and then restored the dash. And voila, working HDD!

Anyone know if i can use live with this HDD or will it get me banned from live?It has been locked using the eeprom from my old HDD. The dash i have at the moment allows me to run games on live without being banned as long as the game is in the drive before coldstart, i just wanted to know if this was still the case with the new hdd as i dont want to be banned

Cheers

YOU WILL BE BANNED!

Sorry, didn't mean to yell, I just don't want you to get banned. Read the FAQ about upgrading the hard drive and using Live. Because of the marriage theory, you will need a new, virgin EEPROM. You can usually buy one in the B/S/T forums here.

QUOTE(derenkirby @ Jun 18 2006, 03:58 PM) View Post

OK so i've followed all of the steps and i can't get this to work, i can't get the CD to boot and when i go to look at the CD in the explorer it says it is empty, the ISOrecorder program didn't work it came up with an error when it started burning so i used nero instead, nero said that everything burned succesfully.

if there isn't any way to get this working is there any other way to mod my xbox through hotswapping?

I use Nero and it works fine. In Nero, I go to Recorder, Burn Image in Nero Burning ROM. When you put the disk in Windows, it should show all the data on there. There is no other way to mod your xbox through hotswapping if you can't get XboxHDM burned correctly. Well, there is, but they are much harder to do and are very buggy. XboxHDM is the only thing I would ever hotswap with. Try making the ISO again and burning it. How big is your ISO by the way? Perhaps it is too big?

#369 TranceAddikt

TranceAddikt

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:45 AM

biggrin.gif
Update: Ok well I figured out that my problem was a BIOS setting in my PC. Under power there was something that was related to that APIC thing and I disabled it and then i got it to load no problem. After a few hours of running into all kinds of problems, I managed to get everything the way I wanted. I upgraded to a 300gb hdd and its running smoothly. I just have a few questions:

Where do I put my backed up games? What format do they have to be? and Can I use the F: drive for storage of games?

Can I tell the Xbox to boot directly to XBMC instead of the default UnleashX?

When I try to click on MS Dashboard it tells me that the file C:\xboxdash.xbe cannot be found. What should i do? or should i not worry about this because I don't plan to do anything with XBL?

Thanks in advance.

Tranceaddikt

#370 derenkirby

derenkirby

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE(Textbook @ Jun 19 2006, 12:02 AM) View Post

I use Nero and it works fine. In Nero, I go to Recorder, Burn Image in Nero Burning ROM. When you put the disk in Windows, it should show all the data on there. There is no other way to mod your xbox through hotswapping if you can't get XboxHDM burned correctly. Well, there is, but they are much harder to do and are very buggy. XboxHDM is the only thing I would ever hotswap with. Try making the ISO again and burning it. How big is your ISO by the way? Perhaps it is too big?

The ISO is around 400 MB so that can't be too much for the CD or anything could it? I've tried doing the CD on two harddrives (i dropped the 1st 1 i used while putting it back in)

I have definately followed the intructions exactly so i don't get whats going wrong.

I have had a look in the iso file and this is what is inside it, is this what should be inside or is there anything missing?
IPB Image

Edited by derenkirby, 19 June 2006 - 12:13 PM.

#371 derenkirby

derenkirby

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:45 PM

OK so i managed to get the disc working, it burned properly this time. and i tried the hotswap thing and it didnt work for me it sad multiple things 'cause i've tried it multiple times, it said it could not find a harddrive the last time and now i've put my hd back in my xbox and im getting error 7.

Have i broken my harddrive or is it likely that its someting to do with me installing the mod wrong?

#372 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE(TranceAddikt @ Jun 19 2006, 01:52 AM) View Post

biggrin.gif
Update: Ok well I figured out that my problem was a BIOS setting in my PC. Under power there was something that was related to that APIC thing and I disabled it and then i got it to load no problem. After a few hours of running into all kinds of problems, I managed to get everything the way I wanted. I upgraded to a 300gb hdd and its running smoothly. I just have a few questions:

Where do I put my backed up games? What format do they have to be? and Can I use the F: drive for storage of games?

Can I tell the Xbox to boot directly to XBMC instead of the default UnleashX?

When I try to click on MS Dashboard it tells me that the file C:\xboxdash.xbe cannot be found. What should i do? or should i not worry about this because I don't plan to do anything with XBL?

Thanks in advance.

Tranceaddikt

You are the third person to ask those same questions, so I decided to add this information to the FAQ.

Q: How can I change the default dashboard?
A: The default dashboard is launched from E:/Dash/. To change to a new dashboard like XBMC or Avalaunch, FTP in, delete everything in E:/Dash/ and upload the new dash files. Double check to make sure there is a default.xbe in E:/Dash/ after transferring. If there is, you should be fine.

Q: Why can't I launch the MS Dashboard?
A: The MS Dashboard is normally loaded from C:/xboxdash.xbe. Well, if you take a look in your C: drive, it's empty. That means the ShadowC is working correctly. Copy all the MS Dash files into the C: drive (from your backup or from an extracted SlaYer's) and the MS Dashboard should work.

As for your games, they can be backed up to the F: drive. Make a Games folder and put them in there.

QUOTE(derenkirby @ Jun 19 2006, 10:52 AM) View Post

OK so i managed to get the disc working, it burned properly this time. and i tried the hotswap thing and it didnt work for me it sad multiple things 'cause i've tried it multiple times, it said it could not find a harddrive the last time and now i've put my hd back in my xbox and im getting error 7.

Have i broken my harddrive or is it likely that its someting to do with me installing the mod wrong?

Most likely the hard drive was still locked and that's why it wasn't working. As for your error code 7, make sure your IDE cables and power cables are plugged in completely to the hard drive. If they are, it is possible that the hard drive died.

#373 kingroach

kingroach

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:53 PM

@TranceAddikt,.. good to see that mod is installed.. smile.gif now if you want to install xbmc.. delete everything from E:\dash\ folder and copy all the xbmc files and folder to E:\dash\ ( the release usually contains a folder called XBMC, copy the contents of XBMC folder to E:\dash\ not the XBMC folder itself).. and about not finding xbox dash.. you need to copy a fresh copy a xboxdash in C.. but its no problem if you dont want to use xbox live..

@derenkirby,

is the hd jumpers set in correct .. make sure its set to master.. if that doesnt fix your problem then may be you gota broken hdd. sad.gif

edit: looks like Textbook already answered..biggrin.gif

Edited by kingroach, 19 June 2006 - 06:54 PM.

#374 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:16 PM

haha King, beat you to it tongue.gif

Also, I wanted to ask you, is there any chance on getting Dr Oldschool's version 7 VGA Patch into the next update? (for the Conexant users)

#375 TranceAddikt

TranceAddikt

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:22 PM

Thank you both very much. You hard work is greatly appreciated.. You guys keep up with the topic very well. I will try those suggestions out tonight when I get a free chance.

Keep it up..

tranceaddikt

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users