X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE(Textbook @ Mar 12 2006, 12:04 AM) View Post

Hmm, that's weird. I have never seen XboxHDM say "no space" on C drive. Maybe it's a little bug Kingroach has to work out. I know the backup C drive option doesn't work, at least with my build, and he said he was going to be fixing that and some other things. I'll let Kingroach handle this question, because I've never seen this and have no idea what it could be.

As for not being able to write files to the C drive after the softmod, that is a safety feature. If you want to write files to the C drive, launch Ndure Toolset.

As for uninstalling the softmod and going back to normal, there are a couple ways to do that. If you made a full backup of your C drive before installing the softmod (probably not, because I didn't tell you to) then you can restore that using either Ndure Toolset or XboxHDM. The other way would be using NDURE toolset and FTPing in, deleting everythign in the C drive and FTPing over a stock C.

NOTE: Kingroach, I tried restoring the C drive from SlaYer's and got a few errors halfway through, not sure if this was known or not, but it was really weird.

By the way, to all the people asking if you can use this tutorial to install on a completely fresh, brand-new hard drive: I tried today installing on a freshly formatted hard drive and I couldn't get it to work. No matter what I tried, nothing was working without the stock C files already on the drive.

SIDENOTE REQUEST: HSD gave me edit abilities, so that I could maintain this tutorial, and I plan to do so. But I have a question for all you smart people. When I initially posted the tutorial, I posted it as three posts, one right after another. It combined these three posts into one post for some reason, not sure why. Well, that's fine, but now I can't edit it. Whenever I go to edit the post, and hit submit, it says there are too many images (which there are, that's why I wanted it to be 3 posts). So how can I edit my tutorial?
{^ Re. the unwritable C, if I've understood correctly, they're referring to the virtual-C though... ^}

#32 Ndure protagonist

Ndure protagonist

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 04:46 PM

Textbook, re. the backup option not working, does it if you first use xbrowser to create the /E/backup directory?

}: I'm unable to try any of this, as I can rarely use "my" Xbox now! :{

#33 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Computers
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 March 2006 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE(Ndure protagonist @ Mar 14 2006, 10:53 AM) View Post

Textbook, re. the backup option not working, does it if you first use xbrowser to create the /E/backup directory?

}: I'm unable to try any of this, as I can rarely use "my" Xbox now! :{

I'll try it when I get home, I'll continue updating this if it needs be. I check this thread everyday, so all your questions/suggestions/comments will be read by me. Anything you and Kingroach can do to help out with the tutorial is appreciated. You guys are the brains behind this, I just know how to use what you guys make, lol.

#34 pvenkat

pvenkat

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 06:58 PM

Thanks Textbook for your tutorial. I have successfully soft modded by xbox using xboxhdm and hotswapping. Everything is working as it should be except one thing! Your tutorial is great and was able to mod the xbox in about 2 hours...I had little trouble hotswapping (my harddrive won't unlock if I wait too long.)

OK. I admit, I screwed up and I need your help. The only reason I softmodded was to turn XBMC (which is great by the way.) I don't play any games. After I soft modded and running XBMC, I got the hidef AV pack and tried to change the resolution settings to enable 480p and 720p. I could change it in the xboxdash but the settings won't stick after the reboot. I got frustrated by trying different things. I tried to copy eeprom.bin to C:\, E:\, E:\shadowC folders with no success. No matter what I do, the settings won't stick after the reboot. I don't know how I did it but I managed to screw up the default MS DASH. It won't launch now I get the "service required" error when I try to launch. To make matters worse, I did the softmod again which I think took the bad M$ DASH and patched it again. I don't really care about the M$ DASH but for hi-def resolution settings. Is there a way to set the hi-def resolution without going thru the M$ DASH? If not, what is the best way to recover it. I can boot to EVOX and XBMC but I understand that I can't overwrite the files in C drive. I have a backup of EEPROM.bin and HDD key (if that matters.) I also downloaded MS DASH files from somewhere...

Sorry for the long message. Please be patient with me as I don't want to make things worse by doing something without checking with you experts. Thanks a lot...

#35 Dr Psycho

Dr Psycho

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:34 PM

Thx for the nice guide

I did get the No space on the C thingy on my 1.6 Xbox, but it still moves on to part 3, and then replied done.
After that I removed the drive from my pc and inserted it back into the Xbox, and the softmod worked as a charm...(Backup, XBMC and emulators with no problems)
I can also see that the C drive still have around 320mb left, so I don't see why the error appears.

#36 kingroach

kingroach

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:55 AM

problems with shadowc occurs when xboxhdm mess up file permission in shadowc file.. however file premissionshould not work with xbox..

anyway I actually fixed all the issues (backup/option 2, file permission) in xboxhdm script few days ago.. but this is spring break week so I have been busy.. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif I will test the script after this weekend and will release asap..

#37 Ndure protagonist

Ndure protagonist

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:24 PM

Textbook, did the backup option work for you (when the /E/backup directory was created first via xbrowser)?

#38 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:44 PM

Sorry, the only working spare hard drive I had was uber-locked (no eeprom, no password, and there wasn't a master pw - tried XBOXSCENE or TEAMASSEMBLY). I was going to test it on that one, because the hard drive that I had in one Xbox broke (recently started clicking). I was going to use this one spare stock that I have left, but it is locked. I know llamma reported how to unlock any stock xbox hard drive without eeprom/hddkey/master pw. Since mine is the WD hard drive, I hooked it up, atapwd, Erase Prepare Unit, and Erase Unit like the tutorial says. It says command rejected by drive. I couldn't unlock the drive like the tutorial said it would, and since that is my only hard drive, I couldn't test it out yesterday. I'll try and stop by my friend's house today after work and see if he has an extra stock (unlocked) that I can have. We're always giving each other xbox guts to borrow. wink.gif

So if I get a hd today, I'll test it out.

#39 kingroach

kingroach

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:51 PM

hi textbook and np.. here is the new updated script.. I tested with backup option and it does work .. now I didnt test file permission error on shadowc.. will do soon.. so if any of you guys test.. use this script:

http://mysite.verizo...mn/mn/ndxdm.zip

smile.gif

#40 hXcPlayr

hXcPlayr

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:59 AM

This is probably a noob question, but I'm new to modding.

Is there anyway to use this mod to get Xbox Media Center on my xbox?

#41 hXcPlayr

hXcPlayr

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:23 AM

Sorry about the double post, its not letting me edit my post.

I answered my own question, I wasn't aware that XBMC is an app you FTP over to the xbox.

#42 dkchili

dkchili

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:47 AM

YES!! finally, something new and fresh. I was just about to spend money on action replay but i thought of reading something in here and i found this biggrin.gif:D. Its 2:41 am now and ima gonan try this first thing in the morning. Thanks!

#43 Ndure protagonist

Ndure protagonist

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:11 AM

QUOTE(kingroach @ Mar 16 2006, 12:58 PM) View Post

hi textbook and np.. here is the new updated script.. I tested with backup option and it does work .. now I didnt test file permission error on shadowc.. will do soon.. so if any of you guys test.. use this script:

http://mysite.verizo...mn/mn/ndxdm.zip

smile.gif

Did you test it without the /E/backup directory already being there (is a `mkdir -p` not needed)?

{# Re. permissions I doubt it's that ... but if it is, wouldn't mode 777 be better than 755? #}

#44 kingroach

kingroach

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 04:11 AM

ysorry for being late.. yes.. I have tested it with without any "backup" folder on E drive.. mkdir -p is good but not really needed.. both gets the job done..

chmod 777 is better than 755.. again I didnt yet tested this.. but on ldots xboxhdm script, he used chmod 755 after building the C drive.. so thats what I have used.. for the next update.. I am also planning on adding a debug option on ndure.. seeing few people wants it.. dry.gif

#45 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:23 AM

SIDENOTE REQUEST: HSD gave me edit abilities, so that I could maintain this tutorial, and I plan to do so. But I have a question for all you smart people. When I initially posted the tutorial, I posted it as three posts, one right after another. It combined these three posts into one post for some reason, not sure why. Well, that's fine, but now I can't edit it. Whenever I go to edit the post, and hit submit, it says there are too many images (which there are, that's why I wanted it to be 3 posts). So how can I edit my tutorial?

Working on an FAQ, but without ^^ that ^^ question being answered, I'm not sure how I'll be able to add it. PS - Thanks Kingroach for the backup script.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users