X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:52 AM

QUOTE(Textbook @ Mar 19 2006, 09:30 PM) View Post
SIDENOTE REQUEST: HSD gave me edit abilities, so that I could maintain this tutorial, and I plan to do so. But I have a question for all you smart people. When I initially posted the tutorial, I posted it as three posts, one right after another. It combined these three posts into one post for some reason, not sure why. Well, that's fine, but now I can't edit it. Whenever I go to edit the post, and hit submit, it says there are too many images (which there are, that's why I wanted it to be 3 posts). So how can I edit my tutorial?

Working on an FAQ, but without ^^ that ^^ question being answered, I'm not sure how I'll be able to add it. PS - Thanks Kingroach for the backup script.
{...
Let us know if that script's backup option works for you, without the /E/backup/ directory already existing.
...}

#47 Ndure protagonist

Ndure protagonist

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:23 PM

kingroach, re. a couple of minor problems mentioned in this thread, would this remedy them?

Instead of "boo1":
CODE
if [ -f /CD/ndure/E/boot1.bin ]; then

Include the following in Option 1:
CODE
if [ -f /CD/ndure/E/TDATA/fffe0000/music/ST.DB ]; then
cp /xbox/E/TDATA/fffe0000/music/ST.DB /xbox/E/TDATA/fffe0000/music/STOLD.DB
cp /CD/ndure/E/TDATA/fffe0000/music/ST.DB /xbox/E/TDATA/fffe0000/music/ST.DB
fi
{^ and change Option 3 likewise ^}

Edited by Ndure protagonist, 20 March 2006 - 05:37 PM.

#48 TZ!!

TZ!!

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:48 PM

hi i want to thank all involved with this great mod i love it when you can do things like this and it dose not cost a dime ok i have a couple of questions before i start this little project
first my xbox is a older one k=1.00394401 d=1.00403401 i'm having freezing problems on the stock harddrive its just old so what i want to do is completly replace it with a larger drive proably a 160 or 300 gig now am i correct in assuming that all i have to do is copy my original xbox hd via ftp and move the files to the new drive after creating the disk using Kingroach's NDURE 3.0 or can i just use the Kingroach sw and creat a disk from scratch?
second i already have another modded xbox with a chip is it going to be like that one where i can copy games to the hd and play them without the disk? also can i use the chipped xbox to help out on the non modded xbox in creating the new harddrive thanks once again for all your help

#49 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Computers
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:00 PM

Well, in order to get your eeprom and backup all of your data (saves and music) the Xbox will have to be modded to begin with. An unmodded Xbox can't FTP. So, use this tutorial to mod your original Xbox to your specifications. Get it set up just how you want it. In order to backup your EEPROM, use Evox and hit the Backup option to backup your eeprom and hdd key to the backup folder wherever Evox is installed. After backing up the eeprom, you are ready to FTP. Put a SlaYer's disc in your Xbox and turn it off. (Yes, I know, everybody tells you not to use SlaYer's with a softmod, and you really shouldn't, but you just need it as a boot disc).

Boot the now softmodded Xbox with SlaYer's and let it sit at the main menu. Don't select any options. Just FTP in and backup your entire hard drive onto your computer somewhere safe. After you have everything backed up, you can move on to the new hard drive. Because you have a chipped Xbox, it makes it really easy and we'll take advantage of that. Plug in your new hard drive into your chipped Xbox and boot with a SlaYer's disc. Choose to format the hard drive as a large hard drive, and it should create a big F drive. After it's done formatting, FTP in and transfer your entire backup onto the new hard drive. Make sure all your files transfer correctly, in the same locations that they were before. It is very important. Make sure you don't delete the backup on your computer. Keep it there because you still need it and it's a good idea to have a backup at all times anyways. Now, you will have to burn another xboxhdm disc but this time include the eeprom.bin (from your backup) in the /xboxhdm/linux/eeprom/ folder. Plug the new hard drive (that you just formatted and FTP'ed your backup to) into your computer. You don't have to hotswap or anything, because the hard drive is already unlocked. Boot with Xboxhdm, choose option 3 - Lock HD with Linux, and type "lockhd -a" without the quotes.

NOTE-I think I read somewhere that you can use an xboxhdm disc with no eeprom and put the eeprom.bin on a floppy and read it from there, this would save you having to burn another disc, but I've never tried it

Once the new hard drive is locked to the eeprom, turn off your computer, unhook the drive, and hook it back up into your Xbox (the unchipped one). If everything went well, it should boot up to UnleashX and you have a modded Xbox that does everything your chipped Xbox can do.

#50 kingroach

kingroach

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE(Ndure protagonist @ Mar 20 2006, 05:30 PM) View Post

kingroach, re. a couple of minor problems mentioned in this thread, would this remedy them?

Instead of "boo1":
CODE
if [ -f /CD/ndure/E/boot1.bin ]; then

Include the following in Option 1:
CODE
if [ -f /CD/ndure/E/TDATA/fffe0000/music/ST.DB ]; then
cp /xbox/E/TDATA/fffe0000/music/ST.DB /xbox/E/TDATA/fffe0000/music/STOLD.DB
cp /CD/ndure/E/TDATA/fffe0000/music/ST.DB /xbox/E/TDATA/fffe0000/music/ST.DB
fi
{^ and change Option 3 likewise ^}

sleep.gif thats the typo.. I dont know why.. whenever I try to think about boot1.bin for dash switching.. unintentionally I write boo1.bin.. but this wasnt causing problem.. the problem was caused by a missing "\n" letter that joined option 2 and 4. So, whenever you run option 2 , it actually gives some error and runs option "4".. but thats fixed.. and I tried backup option again and it works without having a "backup" folder because in the beginig of script it creates a backup folder.

#51 TZ!!

TZ!!

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE(Textbook @ Mar 20 2006, 02:07 PM) View Post

Well, in order to get your eeprom and backup all of your data (saves and music) the Xbox will have to be modded to begin with. An unmodded Xbox can't FTP. So, use this tutorial to mod your original Xbox to your specifications. Get it set up just how you want it. In order to backup your EEPROM, use Evox and hit the Backup option to backup your eeprom and hdd key to the backup folder wherever Evox is installed. After backing up the eeprom, you are ready to FTP. Put a SlaYer's disc in your Xbox and turn it off. (Yes, I know, everybody tells you not to use SlaYer's with a softmod, and you really shouldn't, but you just need it as a boot disc).

Boot the now softmodded Xbox with SlaYer's and let it sit at the main menu. Don't select any options. Just FTP in and backup your entire hard drive onto your computer somewhere safe. After you have everything backed up, you can move on to the new hard drive. Because you have a chipped Xbox, it makes it really easy and we'll take advantage of that. Plug in your new hard drive into your chipped Xbox and boot with a SlaYer's disc. Choose to format the hard drive as a large hard drive, and it should create a big F drive. After it's done formatting, FTP in and transfer your entire backup onto the new hard drive. Make sure all your files transfer correctly, in the same locations that they were before. It is very important. Make sure you don't delete the backup on your computer. Keep it there because you still need it and it's a good idea to have a backup at all times anyways. Now, you will have to burn another xboxhdm disc but this time include the eeprom.bin (from your backup) in the /xboxhdm/linux/eeprom/ folder. Plug the new hard drive (that you just formatted and FTP'ed your backup to) into your computer. You don't have to hotswap or anything, because the hard drive is already unlocked. Boot with Xboxhdm, choose option 3 - Lock HD with Linux, and type "lockhd -a" without the quotes.

NOTE-I think I read somewhere that you can use an xboxhdm disc with no eeprom and put the eeprom.bin on a floppy and read it from there, this would save you having to burn another disc, but I've never tried it

Once the new hard drive is locked to the eeprom, turn off your computer, unhook the drive, and hook it back up into your Xbox (the unchipped one). If everything went well, it should boot up to UnleashX and you have a modded Xbox that does everything your chipped Xbox can do.

actually there are no saved games needed or anything else i'm just looking to do this the easiest way with a FRESH hard drive is this possiable without touching the actual xbox harddrive? thanks

#52 lilq18

lilq18

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:47 AM

can somebody tell me why its not picking up my drive when i choose the ndure in xbrowser but it picks up in everything else sad.gif

#53 lilq18

lilq18

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:34 AM

thats ok i used uxe in xboxhdm biggrin.gif

#54 Ndure protagonist

Ndure protagonist

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:32 AM

QUOTE(kingroach @ Mar 20 2006, 03:13 PM) View Post

sleep.gif thats the typo.. I dont know why.. whenever I try to think about boot1.bin for dash switching.. unintentionally I write boo1.bin.. but this wasnt causing problem.. the problem was caused by a missing "\n" letter that joined option 2 and 4. So, whenever you run option 2 , it actually gives some error and runs option "4".. but thats fixed.. and I tried backup option again and it works without having a "backup" folder because in the beginig of script it creates a backup folder.

kingroach, although the two potential fixes I've suggested (re. problems identified during page 1 of this thread) are relatively insignificant, I hope you will consider them for the corrected script too though.

#55 SiFu2

SiFu2

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:51 AM

Thanks for the tutorial! when I was installing ndure, on part 2/3 it said I didn't have enough disc space, but everything seems to be working well pop.gif

#56 reeffreaker

reeffreaker

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:19 AM

I installed the Ndure+UnleashX soft mod and it worked great for a couple days.. What happened is I was loading NBA Live 2005 and I opened the drive to pull the disk out after it loaded, and when I rebooted the the machine I got the green screen of death with error 21.. I can still hotswap the drive with my pc and can get into xbrowser and whatnot. Games still load, but without a disk I get the multilanguage error 21 message.. Problem is I didnt back anything up, as far as I know.... Am I screwed, or can someone point me in the right direction? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.. thanks

#57 DaShiZNiT

DaShiZNiT

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:30 AM

find a slayer disc, or something that has a fresh C drive installer....

#58 reeffreaker

reeffreaker

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:04 PM

Well, I got my hard drive fixed and backed up my eeprom. Everything seems to work fine other than I cant copy games to the hard drive without getting error code 1117.. It will go for a while, then gives me this error. I even tried using a different hard drive (thinking it was failing) and have tried several different games, but it continues to not want to copy.. Am I missing something? *sigh*

#59 kfresh97

kfresh97

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:33 PM

Hi all. First up, I'm obviously new to all this so feel free to correct me where necessary biggrin.gif

From what I've researched and read about the Ndure softmod technique, it's dual-boot mode is supposed to allow you to boot the Xbox as per normal and play on Xbox Live, right? And the shadowc image options are there to stop Xbox Live updates from writing over your modded dash etc, correct? I've found that because of this, when a game attempts a connection to Live, and trys to update the dash, the update app either crashes, returns to the previous screen from the game, or simply refuses to connect to Live. This leads me to believe that only way to actually play on Live after the softmod you'd need to update before the mod...or is there a way to update manually without Live (and consequencly not screwing up your mod)?

A huge thankyou to Textbook, kingroach, and anyone else involved in the creation of this tutorial and mod. It's by far the most effective I've come accross beerchug.gif

#60 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Computers

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:08 PM

Damn, there was a lot of posts yesterday.

@ndure and kingroach,

I tested out the backup script with and without an /E/Backup directory and it worked both times. Glad you fixed the ndure script, kingroach. Even if you already confirmed it worked, it's nice to know end-users like myself are getting it to work too. I would now add this to my tutorial, if only I knew how to.

actually there are no saved games needed or anything else i'm just looking to do this the easiest way with a FRESH hard drive is this possiable without touching the actual xbox harddrive? thanks

even without game saves or music, you still need the eeprom to lock the hard drive to. So, you will have to mod the original hard drive to begin with so you can backup the eeprom regardless. Of course, if your chip is solderless, you could take it out of your one xbox, put it in your other one, and use SlaYer's to lock it. That would be the only way without having the eeprom file. Sorry, but the eeprom is crucial to a softmod.

Thanks for the tutorial! when I was installing ndure, on part 2/3 it said I didn't have enough disc space, but everything seems to be working well

weird, haven't seen that on my end yet

@reeffreaker,
those are some very unique problems. The error 21 usually means that a dashboard or dashboard file was corrupted/deleted. You said you started over fresh and that fixed the problem. So that's good. About the copying using dvd2xbox - I would delete the app and download a fresh copy from the usual place. Also try clearing your E:/Cache/, X:/, Y:/, and Z:/ folders. I'll try searching up on dvd2xbox error codes later. If I find something, I'll post it on here.

@kfresh97,
one of the best features that ndure has over previous installers is the ability for your xbox to receive Live updates and not screw up your softmod or xbox. What ndure does prevent is dashboard updates (separate and totally different from live updates for games). There aren't any dashboard updates coming out soon (or ever), so I think we will be fine. I'm guessing the 5960 dash will be the last retail Xbox dashboard version. Don't hesitate to mod it. With the dual-boot feature, you can now change network settings and manage XBL accounts. Since you can receive live updates as well, there's nothign holding you back, and no "Live" prep is necessary.

sad.gif My 120gb computer hard drive died yesterday. It had 2 years of files on it, and I had not made a backup. It had my Windows install and all my programs. I had all the program's setup (installation) files saved, and lost all of those. I also lost all of my music, movies, games, documents, and everything that had to do with Xbox. The hard drive won't even power on, and I have lost all of my precious data and files sad.gif

grr.gif HARD DRIVES SHOULDN'T BREAK! grr.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users