• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 March 2006 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE(Ndure protagonist @ Mar 24 2006, 06:25 PM) View Post

{+
Alternatively, with the version of Nkpatcher that Ndure 3.0 uses (thanks to xman954) ...
the virtual C can be deactivated by creating /E/shadowC_off.bin (any size) and re-starting with the Power button.

Likewise, the virtual eeprom can be deactivated with /E/EEPROM_off.bin (and to activate the virtuals again afterwards, just rename or delete these control files)...
+}

nice one! I'll give that a go first as it will be the easiest and quickest.

#77 TZ!!

TZ!!

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:58 PM

text the answer to your question is no which i have found out the hardway been trying for 3 days to do it the way you said with the slayerdisk first off i can't even see the files from the iso even on my pc hd i've tried creating it many different ways on cd's cdrw dvd+ dvd- and still nothing i've also researched on the net and all have said the same thing unless your xbox has the softmod on it already the slayer disk is useless. also let me ask this in your original post (firstone this thread) in your pic of the actual files on the xboxhdm cd you have a folder called sminstaller when i did the hotswap the one time i got it to work the xboxhdm said it could not find that folder where do i get it? after it failed to do a complete install i rehooked up my stock xbox drive to the xbox and now unless there is a gamedisk in the drive my xbox is in a continious reboot mod the drive still dose work and i can play games but i cannot get to the actual time settings or stuff like that is my drive still at this point modable? thanks again for all your help

#78 kejames1983

kejames1983

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:16 AM

OMG it worked!!!!

I AM NOT WORTHY
I AM NOT WORTHY
I AM NOT WORTHY

Thank you everyone so much for these tutorials!!!!!!!

#79 Ndure protagonist

Ndure protagonist

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:23 PM

{*
Here's a workaround for those of you with the unusable virtual C...

1) hotswap and boot the disc you used for the install;

2) run xbrowser;

3) delete the shadowc.img AND filler*.img files that are the shadowc directory;

4) copy the shadowc.img from the disc into the shadowc directory (it's large so takes a while);

5) then copy the filler2.img from the disc into the shadowc directory;
NOTE: it might run out of space when copying this filler file, but that's fine!

6) now copy the filler1.img from the disc into the shadowc directory (even if the previous step failed).
NOTE: it will run out of space when copying this filler file, but that's fine!

When you boot with the Power button the (virtual) C drive should be writable and most find it's worthwhile copying their MS dash backup into it...
*}

Edited by Ndure protagonist, 25 March 2006 - 09:27 PM.

#80 Serial_KillaZ

Serial_KillaZ

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:23 AM

Question for those whom can help me!!!

Aight i used the Ndure Tut, and all went fine.. I myself am a dumbshit.. i should have know..

Also kernal 5838, i got the write error on step 2. M$signlink or something that ties with the msdash.. Cuz the Ms dash wasnt working.. and i think that was the problem..

Enough Blabin.. On with the problem.

So my buddy wanted evox instead of unleash.. So i grab my slayer's disk pop it in...

1. Made a backup of eeprom and HDDkey..
2. Did a Retail C rebuild..
3. Got error 21..

I can still boot games.. and was wondering how i would go about recovering the eeprom and hddkey.. so that i can use Hdm to restore the hdd, or throw in a bigger drive?

Much help would be apprechated..

Serial_KillaZ..

P.S. i feel like a moron.. I was over pace'n myself and wasnt thinking..

Edited by Serial_KillaZ, 26 March 2006 - 08:29 AM.

#81 spacemaster

spacemaster

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:07 AM

I followed to the end of Ndure installation step. I couldn't see drive C and E as in the picture. However, I can see both drive C and E in the ndure folder.

What did I do wrong ? unsure.gif

#82 Serial_KillaZ

Serial_KillaZ

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 07:12 PM

Alright, after reading and taking some notes, i feel like a pro.. I learn so much here.. Imma rebuild my C and put the box back to stock..

Thanks to Everyone that deserves Credit..
Well everyone here..

Ill post back later on how the fix went.. Or if i just fuck it up more..

#83 RMM

RMM

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 02:45 AM

Hey guys Im a total noob and I am having some trouble. Ive got a 5838 box thats never been modded. Ive followed the steps in the guide where Ive booted both Xbox and computer and the same time, play a song saved to the xbox HD, play the song for 4 or 5 seconds pause it then swap the IDE cable and hit 1 on the computer. The problem is everytime I select one I then get a message:

"looking for cd-rom in dev/hda

looking for cd-rom in dev/hdb

looking for cd-rom in dev/hdc

no disk drive found of dev/hda

please connect a drive and try again"

The cd rom is on the secondary ide cable and the xbox HD is being connected to the primary master ide spot

does anybody have an idea what I could be doing wrong here?

#84 alyn

alyn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:14 AM

everything went great from start to finish. only problem is i used the nkpatcher .67 for hdd larger than 200gb to enable G: and it's no where to be found. also, i choose copy game to f: but when i try to play, the game folder is empty. it seemed to copy the game to the hdd.

#85 spacemaster

spacemaster

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:23 AM

Just a quick question tho.

Because I just want to upgrade my softmodded xbox HD to bigger HD.

Can I just transfer epprom.bin file (to epprom directory) and unlock the new HDD using xboxhdm hdlock/hdunlock tool ? Then install ndure as per tutorial instruction ?

#86 Serial_KillaZ

Serial_KillaZ

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:04 AM

Yes, i Believe so..

RMM.. Your Doing something wrong.. Either you have the IDE cables set up wrong.. with is most likely the problem.. also when i hotswap i put the harddrive on CS (Cable Select..) Dont know if that helps or not..

Edited by Serial_KillaZ, 27 March 2006 - 08:06 AM.

#87 juanapartay

juanapartay

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:38 AM

Hi, total newbie and I need some help -

I followed directions to a "T". I have a 2001 xbox that had kernel 4034 and dash 4034.

I did everything, and had a hell of a time getting the hotswap to work, but finally (after trying hotswapping a bunch of different ways) when I booted the linux CDROM, it found /hda and I was able to complete the instructions.

However, while executing the ndure script, it didn't take 15 minutes, it took prbly 5 minutes. It also had a few error msgs, such as "/some/random/file is not a directory" -- or something like that, like 5 of those err msgs.

Anyways, 5 minutes later, it completed, said all was well. I exited, re-attched the HD to my Xbox, and re-booted.

So now, after the splash screen with the xbox logo with the white MS text below it, the screen goes blank and nothing ever happens.

I hope i didn't miss something obvious because i'm sure you ppl read enuff of these types of posts. But any help would be appreciated.

Since then i have tried doing the same thing a bunch of times, trying to hotswap at various points, so on and so forth. Also, i had to hit the "pause/break" key during my PC's bios bootup, then hotswap after the xbox had booted, and only then could i ever see the /hda partition and complete the instructions.

I did do a backup though before i did antyhing, so i do have the /C partition stashed in a backup dir on /E -- so hopefully i'm not totally in trouble. I.e., i should have the eeprom key in that backup somewhere.

juana

#88 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Computers
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE(TZ!! @ Mar 24 2006, 02:05 PM) View Post

text the answer to your question is no which i have found out the hardway been trying for 3 days to do it the way you said with the slayerdisk first off i can't even see the files from the iso even on my pc hd i've tried creating it many different ways on cd's cdrw dvd+ dvd- and still nothing i've also researched on the net and all have said the same thing unless your xbox has the softmod on it already the slayer disk is useless. also let me ask this in your original post (firstone this thread) in your pic of the actual files on the xboxhdm cd you have a folder called sminstaller when i did the hotswap the one time i got it to work the xboxhdm said it could not find that folder where do i get it? after it failed to do a complete install i rehooked up my stock xbox drive to the xbox and now unless there is a gamedisk in the drive my xbox is in a continious reboot mod the drive still dose work and i can play games but i cannot get to the actual time settings or stuff like that is my drive still at this point modable? thanks again for all your help

Yeah, sorry TZ, I wasn't thinking straight. For some reason, I was thinking that booting a SlaYer's would allow you to bypass the ShadowC, but I was wrong. I have a TSOP'ed xbox that I'm messing with right now too, so I'm getting my hardmods/softmods mixed up a little bit. Sorry about the whole SlaYer's deal, I should have thought about it a little bit more first. The sminstaller folder is useless. It's actually a leftovers folder from a UXE install through Xboxhdm. My last tutorial like this was for UXEDM, which was made by kingroach and created an sminstaller folder. In other words, it isn't even being used at all, and nobody should have that, my picture could be slightly misleading. I would change it, but I can't edit - says my posts contains too many images. Weird thing is that you're saying Xboxhdm is looking for the sminstaller folder. That's really weird. If you're doing the *ndure script, it should just look for the ndure folder. Let me know if it happens again. Since games are booting, the hard drive is unlocking and therefore you can hotswap in through xboxhdm. Here is what I would do. I'll try and actually help you this time instead of make it worse (sorry again).

- you have SlaYer's ISO on your computer then, right?
- Use Qwix to extract the ISO to your computer's hard drive
- the retail (5960 dash) C files are in /SYSTEM/ALL/C/
- delete everything from previous xboxhdm disks made (we want to start fresh to not mess up anything)
- re-extract the xboxhdm zip archive
- re-"install" the ndure, going through and changing the settings to how you want. Save in the /xboxhdm/linux/ folder
- go to where your SlaYer's C files are at (/SYSTEM/ALL/C/) and select all the files and folders except the Audio folder
- including the Audio folder would make the ISO too large to fit on a CD, plus it's alread in the ndure folder
- go to /xboxhdm/linux/ and make a new folder called "cdrive"
- copy the selected SlaYer's C files to /xboxhdm/linux/cdrive/
- remake the iso using the batch command and burn it
- boot a game, let the harddrive unlock, and hotswap into xboxhdm
- go to xbrowser and delete everything in the C drive, make sure it's empty
- copy the C files from /cdrive/ to the actual C drive, and also copy the Audio folder from /ndure/C/ to the C drive
- resoftmod using the tutorial

Hope you get it working, man. I know, it's a lot of work, but it should work if I didn't mess something up again.

QUOTE(Ndure protagonist @ Mar 25 2006, 03:30 PM) View Post

{*
Here's a workaround for those of you with the unusable virtual C...

1) hotswap and boot the disc you used for the install;

2) run xbrowser;

3) delete the shadowc.img AND filler*.img files that are the shadowc directory;

4) copy the shadowc.img from the disc into the shadowc directory (it's large so takes a while);

5) then copy the filler2.img from the disc into the shadowc directory;
NOTE: it might run out of space when copying this filler file, but that's fine!

6) now copy the filler1.img from the disc into the shadowc directory (even if the previous step failed).
NOTE: it will run out of space when copying this filler file, but that's fine!

When you boot with the Power button the (virtual) C drive should be writable and most find it's worthwhile copying their MS dash backup into it...
*}

Thanks for helping out in here. I know I'm learning from this too.

QUOTE(RMM @ Mar 26 2006, 08:52 PM) View Post

Hey guys Im a total noob and I am having some trouble. Ive got a 5838 box thats never been modded. Ive followed the steps in the guide where Ive booted both Xbox and computer and the same time, play a song saved to the xbox HD, play the song for 4 or 5 seconds pause it then swap the IDE cable and hit 1 on the computer. The problem is everytime I select one I then get a message:

"looking for cd-rom in dev/hda

looking for cd-rom in dev/hdb

looking for cd-rom in dev/hdc

no disk drive found of dev/hda

please connect a drive and try again"
The cd rom is on the secondary ide cable and the xbox HD is being connected to the primary master ide spot
does anybody have an idea what I could be doing wrong here?

Make sure the CD Drive's jumpers are set correctly. For example, if the jumper on the drive is set to Master, make sure it's plugged into master.

QUOTE(alyn @ Mar 26 2006, 10:21 PM) View Post

everything went great from start to finish. only problem is i used the nkpatcher .67 for hdd larger than 200gb to enable G: and it's no where to be found. also, i choose copy game to f: but when i try to play, the game folder is empty. it seemed to copy the game to the hdd.

"Enable G Drive" is an option or setting in most dashboards and by default, it is disabled. So use your dashboard of choice and go to the settings and look around until you find Enable G Drive. Then, format the G partition using UnleashX. For the games, are you saving them to F:/Games/ or just plain F:/ ?? With the default config files for dashboards, if you were to save them to just F:/ , it won't show up in the menu/list of games.

QUOTE(juanapartay @ Mar 27 2006, 02:45 AM) View Post

Hi, total newbie and I need some help -

I followed directions to a "T". I have a 2001 xbox that had kernel 4034 and dash 4034.

I did everything, and had a hell of a time getting the hotswap to work, but finally (after trying hotswapping a bunch of different ways) when I booted the linux CDROM, it found /hda and I was able to complete the instructions.

However, while executing the ndure script, it didn't take 15 minutes, it took prbly 5 minutes. It also had a few error msgs, such as "/some/random/file is not a directory" -- or something like that, like 5 of those err msgs.

Anyways, 5 minutes later, it completed, said all was well. I exited, re-attched the HD to my Xbox, and re-booted.

So now, after the splash screen with the xbox logo with the white MS text below it, the screen goes blank and nothing ever happens.

I hope i didn't miss something obvious because i'm sure you ppl read enuff of these types of posts. But any help would be appreciated.

Since then i have tried doing the same thing a bunch of times, trying to hotswap at various points, so on and so forth. Also, i had to hit the "pause/break" key during my PC's bios bootup, then hotswap after the xbox had booted, and only then could i ever see the /hda partition and complete the instructions.

I did do a backup though before i did antyhing, so i do have the /C partition stashed in a backup dir on /E -- so hopefully i'm not totally in trouble. I.e., i should have the eeprom key in that backup somewhere.

juana

Hmmm, interesting, I'm not too sure on this. Anybody else run into something like this?

#89 kingroach

kingroach

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 27 March 2006 - 05:21 PM

dash 4034 dont have any fonts folder or xodash pr xboxdashdata folder.. so it couldnt copy font files, couldnt delete settings_adoc.xip and couldnt copy earnie.xtf file.. To fix this.. restore the C drive and upgrade the dash to 5960..

#90 RMM

RMM

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:22 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ended up switching computers and it worked on the other computer. I guess the one I first tried this on had some IDE bios issues because everything was set up right and there wasnt anything else I could try except another computer and it worked no problem other than the "no space" issue some people have been having.

I do have another question now. Ndure protagonist has listed a way to fix the virtual C problem by deleting the shadowc.img AND filler*.img files in the shadowc directory. My problem is once I start xbrowser I dont know exactly what I am looking at and what directories I need to go to in order to delete the shadowc.img AND filler*.img files and where exactly I need to go to get to the CD to copy those new files over. Could someone point me in the right direction.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users